header image

Sunday, April 02, 2006

view from the bridge

Sunday Post ~ "The workings of the human heart are the profoundest mystery of the universe. One moment they make us despair of our kind, and the next we see in them the reflection of the divine image." -- Charles W. Chesnutt


Psalm 139:23-24

A little more (3:06 p.m.):
You know I love it when y'all look up the scriptures. Karen did so, and her comment helped me realize that I'd made an error, put something in that I didn't intend, wasn't thinking about. So thank you for that, Karen. (It's fixed now.) Just a bit of elaboration on these verses, for me. I "pray" them rather frequently. That is, say them back to God. "Search me, o God, and know my heart . . . see if there is any offensive way in me . . . " It is easy for us to see what is "wrong" in others. And it is even easy for me to see what is "wrong" in me, much of the time. But there are also wrong things that I don't see, in myself. Things that have become so much a "part of the furniture" of my heart, that I don't notice them. Or in moments when I might notice them, I choose to look the other way, because I'm not ready to give them up. So these verses are a challenge to me; to not look at how someone else is messing up, but how I am. And to ask God to show me even more, so I can fix it. That usually goes something like, "Search me, o God..." And then God responds. (Do be careful what you ask God for ;) And then I say, "Oh, SHIT! Why did I ask to be shown that? I'm not ready to change THAT!" Something like that, anyway. And then, because I asked, and because I truly do, in my heart of hearts, want to be increasingly made more in God's image, and less in my own, I tryyyyyyyyyyyyyy to fix what I've been shown. Every day, hopefully that's what you'll find me up to: trying to do a little better to be who I was made to be.
End of sermonette.

Now, prayer time: Please remember Nikki as she leaves today for Cambodia, to share her love and her many gifts there. Please pray for Nikki, for those she is helping, and especially for the family and friends here who cannot begin to imagine what they will do without her for a year.

file under: &Sunday Post

35 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger eclectic said...

The dichotomy -- as confounding as it is -- makes it that much more beautiful when you can see the divine. What a lovely way for you to come back to us!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah! Truly, “what a piece of work is man.”

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. Very nice Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How beautiful. The picture, the words and you my friend. Thanks.

 
Blogger Candy said...

Ok I see some stones along the side of the water there, please tell me those arent yours and thats not pee river..

 
Blogger Susie said...

eclectic, *speechless for a moment* in light of recent correspondence, your comment just makes me want to hug you (even more than I usually do) and, um, you have a beautiful mind. And I do not mean that you're a schizophrenic portrayed by Russell Crowe.

ssnick, ain't that the truth?

peaches, thanks you. And here's the other aka you forgot at Deb's ;)

traci, that is so nice. Thank you.

mrtl, let me give you an example or two. Say, there's someone who's such a lowlife that he would lie to and betray someone who's going through something that must be among the most difficult of human experiences. To be included in the company of such a lowlife (we are both/all human) is almost enough to make one despair of the whole bunch of us. On the other hand, say there's someone who, even though having suffered greatly, continues to put out love, compassion, and share her gifts with strangers, oh, say . . . Cambodian strangers. Such a person as that helps us see that there can be God in us as well.
Like you didn't know this. But thank you for the opportunity to hold forth, here ;)

jr, you got me. This is an actual, medical photograph :p

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, this post is so appropriate for me right now. I'm discouraged to the point of tears and depression at what people are doing to each other every day. It makes one feel forsaken. Then I hear the spring birds singing, see a crocus bloom and life feels clean, new, and whole again.

Beautiful picture and quote. Love you, sis. :)

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

I'm glad MRTL asked the question. Even with your explanation, I still don't get it from the psalm. But now I know where you are coming from, Susie. And if that's what the psalm says to you, that's good enough for me.

The psalm doesn't speak to me because it seems to be all about enemies and hatred, and that's just not how I think. (Or how I think I think, which might be different.)

But the way you explain the opposite poles of humanity, that I get. And the picture is just perfect for an April day.

 
Blogger Nina said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
Blogger Nina said...

WOW To be only human ~ in and of it's self is magical. Love it, love it . . . Happy Sunday Susie!

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I like it. You go tthe whole reflecting image going and It is not a perfect reflection but a reflection all the same. Almost as if someone threw a bunch of stones into the lake to cause all those ripples. ( I know they actually look like they were caused by wind but I am trying to get more symbolism out of the whole thing. )


Hi Susie. I have missed you.

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, I gotchoo in email :)

karen, I gotchoo in email, too, except to say, thanks again for bringing that to my attention :)

nina, it is quite something, isn't it? Just thinking lately of how to do all I can with it, this being human thing :)

william, thank you, it's kinda nice to be missed. And yes, you get what I'm thinking, how these things go together for me. And you're right, it was wind, but yes, we do throw our rocks and they do cause the reflection to ripple. I like it :)

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Sorry Susie, just to clarify: I got all caught up in earlier verses of that psalm (especially 21-22), which are a lot different from verses 23-24, and not what you meant at all. It takes me a while...but I get there in the end.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Wow, jinx. We posted at the same time.

 
Blogger Susie said...

karen, blogger (or my computer) is being a real bear; it took me AGES just to do that little addendum. Yea, this psalm has at least 4 rather distinct "voices," or messages, as I read it. Very rich. I am glad you said what you did, the other verse didn't further my intentions today.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! When I saw "View from the Bridge" (as you titled it) on Flickr last night, I was afraid the stones had gotten the best of you and you were considering jumping. So glad you didn't!

And thanks for the quote, bonus sermon, and prayer assignment today. This is one of my favorite places to visit every Sunday.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To pray that prayer....i'm afraid. I know in myself things that need to change and how I have changed over the past 6 or 7 years. So much change. Change I didnt think possible. I want to be a better Christian, mom, girlfriend, student, ect. Your post inspired me to put in a WOW cd that is one of my favorites. Lord I lift your name on high and Come, now is the time to worship are 2 of my favorites on this CD.
I'm actually typing through tears

Lord, I lift Your name on high;
Lord, I love to sing Your praises;
I'm so glad You're in my life;
I'm so glad You came to save us.

You came from Heaven to earth;
To show the way,
From the earth to the cross,
My debt to pay,
From the cross to the grave,
From the grave to the sky;
Lord, I lift Your name on high!

CD: Tracks: River Is Here, The, Ancient Of Days, Let It Rise, Let The River Flow, Change My Heart, Oh God, Heart Of Worship, The, Shout To The Lord, Open The Eyes Of My Heart, Refiners Fire, Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord, I Love You Lord, Father, I Adore You, In His Time, Give Thanks, Come Into His Presence, Lord I Lift Your Name On High, My Life Is In You, Lord, Mighty Is Our God, We Will Embrace Your Move, I Will Celebrate, Blessed Be The Lord God Almighty, Come Let Us Worship And Bow Down, Jesus Name Above All Names, Come, Now Is The Time To Worship, Take My Life, More Love, More Power, Isnt He, More Precious Than Silver, Open Our Eyes, I Could Sing Of Your Love Forever.

Now that I took up all this space with songs and tears...I'm going to actually take some worship time before getting back to European Union Law. I got a feeling that taking some time for my Lord will help me focus on my studies. He will cleanse my soul.

Thank you Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went and found this- it started the flowing of tears.

http://tinyurl.com/ghemf

Havent finished reading it yet, but so far so good.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, as always, Susie. For the reminder. :) I'm working on doing as you mentioned.

 
Blogger Nic said...

Excellent sermonette. I'm going through the same right now. Hugs to you my friend. It's been a while but I wanted to let you know that prayers were said for your "procedure". Love ya sweet Susie Sunshine!

 
Blogger Susie said...

sharkey, there were really only one or two days I felt like jumping. And this bridge was too low, and the water too shallow, anyway. I'm glad you like to visit, I sure like to see you :)

peaches, some mighty fine songs for the Easter season, there. I hope you get some good sleep, soon, sweetie. And thank you again, you are a dear friend.

ck, have I told YOU lately that I love you? I have a little present for you, I'll try to get it in the mail this week :)

nic, thank you :) I knew you'd do that for me. So happy to see you.

MEAN Shoshie, are you OK? I've been thinking of you all day. Send me the letter when you're ready. And when you do, I'm serious, if you send me your address, I'd love to send you your Easter basket. Or maybe a Peaster basket (Passover/Easter ;) I'm glad you mean girls had some fun. I can't believe she R-U-N-N-O-F-T like that :( I have to get out and check on you ... are you headed south now?

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not even a God-fearin' Christian and I still thought that was beautiful. You're so eloquent, even when you have kidney stones.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A present?! For Me?!

Uh-oh. It's not a kidney stone, is it?

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what I think: God has searched me and knows my mind and heart, and he tries me and he shows me the way....but I still have free will, so when what seems to be excessive misery strikes, I believe it's because I just didn't pay attention when God was giving me all that attention he always gives me.

At least that's how it applies to me. Everyone is different, because, after all, yet God gives us each the attention we need to find the way he has set for each one of us. Amazing (at the very least).

I love the verse, Susie :) You really made me think! However, I'm thinking mostly that I hope your kidney stones are going away and you're not in pain :)

 
Blogger Amy said...

beautiful pic ANd post. So true, how we can find fault in others at the drop of a hat, and yet our own faults are foggy to us.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love what you do here Susie. Much love :*.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attention: (for those who don't already know) DEBUTAUNT is CANCER FREE!

Time to party in the streets!

 
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

Ahhh...the picture...Yes...
Views From The Waterline...tranquil indeed.

Dr H.O. Potamus

 
Blogger Kerri Anne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
Blogger Kerri Anne said...

Beautiful Psalm, beautiful photograph. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get the email I sent you?
If you did, and you don't want to respond, that's fine- I just wanted know.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

So great to hear the news about Deb. Lots of prayer power is a good thing.

 
Blogger Susie said...

jim, I read your comment, and wanted to say this to you, even before you awarded me the MAJOR AWARD: It means a lot to me when people who don't believe as I do, find some beauty, or some meaning, when I try to share what I do believe. I humbly thank you for your kind comment.

ck, NO, I'm using the kidney stones to make new countertops! It's sumthin else.

lilsis, I can't even tell you how much what you said here applies to me. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. And thank you. Very much, for that.

amy, yea. But getting clearer :) Mine, that is. Not yours! You, faults? No.

chchchchia, thank you, sweetheart. Now, what is :* ? I don't know that one :)

sheryl, I did not know. Thank you for being the bearer of that most wonderful news :)

mean Shoshie, I hope your dinner prep is coming along OK. So many different kinds of tears, aren't there? If they're all coming to your house for Passover dinner, you know they won't let you into the nuthouse until after dessert.

hippo, indeed, tranquil :)

kerri, welcome, and thank you :)

meaner Shoshie, if you get any meaner . . . I just don't know what could happen. Gefilte Fish is fun to say, fast, don't you think? You are welcome to crab here any old time, you know.

torrie, 4 Things to You:
1. I got it.
2. You don't suck.
3. I SUCK.
4. I love you.

squirl, it truly is. I do believe, I do, I do.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you okay? Yeah, probably not. None of us are, right? Just wanted to say...well, I just wanted to be here.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home