header image

Saturday, March 11, 2006

The List

A long, long time ago, Kristine, the Princess of Blogworld, posted a list that her then boyfriend, soon-to-be husband and Prince, Shaun, wrote for her. It was a list of 40 things he loves about her. This list caused quite a stir in blogworld. There was much whining and arguing among those who have no such list. I don't whine much in real life, probably only because I've never found it very effective around here. I did whine in someone's comments, though, and in blogworld, comment-whining actually can be effective. I got me a list! It wasn't from my husband, it was from kalki, but still, it was very nice, and I've kept it :)

More recently, Kristine and Shaun decided to stir things up again, when the Princess posted a list of 40 things she loves about Shaun. Then I started thinking, cheez whiz, Jif probably wouldn't even READ a list of 40 things I love about him. But it was pretty easy for me to think of 40 things. Tomorrow is our 23rd wedding anniversary. So as one of my gifts to him, I decided to extend mercy and not force him to read 40 things. I will however, force him to read these

23 Things I Love About You, Jif:

1. You know how to tell the right lies. For instance, when someone clearly doesn't like me, you say, "It's only because she doesn't know you."

2. You clean projectile puke off LG's wall, and don't even wake me up, only tell me about it when it's all over.

3. You're a very fine griller.

4. You can't fight with me, because I can make you laugh.
Yes, I can.
Yes, I can.

5. Laundry. You do it.

6. Dishes. You do them.

7. You make me proud. People trust you, with pretty much everything. People count on you. Because they can.

8. Massage. Good at at. (*Ahem*, slyly embedded in certain parts of this list, and I'm not saying which parts, but in some parts, there might be HINTS as to something that might be a GOOD IDEA...)

9. Unlike me, you can do 4th grade GT math.

10. I like the sound of your snoring. (Yes, you do.)

11. You sleep like a petrified log, except that, the faintest mumble of that one little word has you instantly awake and heading down the hall: "Daddy." You sleep through alarms, hurricanes, dog assaults, but not through "Daddy."

12. You indulge my extreme blogging habit. You actually "get" how blogfriends are real friends, and you ask how they're doing. Or what the hell they're doing. Something like that.

13. Every night when I come to bed, even if it's long after you, even if I wake you up to do it, you do it. I wake you up and say, "Tell me a good thing." And you do. You tell me something nice about me, or about us, or about what we did that day or what we'll do tomorrow. That's the best.

somethinghappy2
Apparently, I'm not the only one who needs that. Someone even wrote a book about it.


14. And this is one of the reasons I knew I would marry you. You told me that you actually LIKE having cold feet put against your warm legs in bed. You told me that many years ago, and I have never been foolish enough to ask if it is still true. I certainly behave as though it is, though, and try to keep you very happy in that way :)

15. You are a rock. This means a lot of different things to me. I have loved rocks my whole life. I keep them.

16. You tell me I can write.

17. When I get in way over my head, when I create for myself a real "What was I thinking?" crisis, I just say to you, "Tell me." And you know what to do. You tell me that I can do it, that it will be OK, that I've been in worse situations and pulled it off before. And then I always make it happen. We always make it happen.

18. You do crazy-ass things like this:

We're putting groceries away -- groceries that you bought . . .

S: Oh, this is a new kind of barbecue sauce . . .
J: Yea, I thought we'd give it a try . . .
S: Did someone recommend it . . .
J: No, but look at that guy on the label. I said, "Now, there's a man that knows something about some barbecue . . . "
S: (silently) WTF?

barbecue
"LADIES and GENTLEMEN, I'M a COOK," says Mr. Stubb.


19. You really are my home. I am safe and warm where you are. I'd live in a tent with you.

20. The way you misbehave in restaurants with LG. I scold the two of you, because I'm the mama, I have to. But I love that you two enjoy each other so much.

21. Family. They don't get to you. Mine, yours . . . you love them, forgive them and perpetually give them a break.

22. You pray for me.

23. Every "next" thing I have thought of in making this list is something, the likes of which is not usually posted on this normally PG-13 blog. How to say this and not lose my PG-13 rating . . . it has been very difficult to list the things I love about you and not get an NC-17. And I love that about you, about us ;)

Happy anniversary, Jif.

26 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Unknown said...

Susie that was absolutely beautiful. If I were Jif, I would concede that yes, that is the best gift I'd ever received.

Number 11 was my favorite..but I loved them all. Jif is a lucky guy.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has to be the most beautiful list I've ever read. You are truly a blessed woman my friend. Thank you for sharing you Jif with us and Happy Anniversary. Peace.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, Susie and Jif! Lots of things on this list remind me of J.P. We've got some good men, Susie.

Oh, and number 16? He's totally right.

 
Blogger Closet Metro said...

That was lovely.

(Stubbs sauce is awesome. I bought it for his picture and "I'm a cook" slogan, too.)

 
Blogger MrsDoF said...

Happy Anniversary for Susie and John! Your number 16 on the list is totally true!
It's so nice to know there are people in the world who find each other and ride the waves of life together.
Congratulations!

Let me see--March 12, 1983 I was huge pregnant with second baby. He was born on the 18th, before the due date. Celebrations many this Spring.

 
Blogger Susie said...

jim, YOU are easy, and a very cheap date ;) So is Jif, I like that :) (And shhh, I'm the lucky one.)

traci, thank you, and I do know that I'm blessed. In many ways.

sharkey, I know, you hit the husband lotto, too :) And thank you.

closet metro, I knew you were my kinda guy ;) Thanks.

mrsDoF, thank you, and congrats on your special occasions, too :)

 
Blogger Ern said...

Awww, how freakin' sweet.

*why someone had to start up with the list thing again is just beyond me, sheesh*

 
Blogger Ern said...

Happy anniversary, you two!

 
Blogger eviluncledave said...

What a wonderful list. :) Happy Anniversary!

 
Blogger Nina said...

Happy Anniversary! Wishing you many, many more! I love the list, and think it is just wonderful . . .

March 12, is a pretty special day all around. My baby girl turns 24 tomorrow. :)

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

Makin' my grocery list:

milk,
eggs,
bread,
Stubb's BBQ sauce...

Happy Anniversary, you two crazy kids!!!

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Happy anniversary, Fairchilds!

The 23rd isn't quite silver yet...would this be the leather and fishnet anniversary?

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Hooray for #11, and I'm so glad
SOMEone can do math.

Happy anniversary!

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

happy anniversary. MAy you have many more nights /days of after #23.


Happy Anniversary Susie and Jif.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember your post from last year. I love that wedding picture.

Yes, number 16 is definitely true.

It's so great to see a couple still so happy and in love after 23 years. I love you guys. :-)

 
Blogger Susie said...

ern, thanks, ha, I know, I couldn't let it die!

eud, thank you, my friend :)

nikki, thank you; hugging you.

nina, oh, it is a great day, then. You were having a first birthday party while I was getting married! Cool :)

annejelynn, thank you, baby! Enjoy Mr. Stubb!

bucky, is that right? I was thinking maybe pleather . . . or feather . . .

mrB, ain't that the truth -- on the daddy thing, and the math thing.

william, thank you! I'll drink to that ;)

squirl, aw, thank you, sis. After I went and posted this, we'll probably have some HUGE fight and I'll have to post a retraction . . .
;)

 
Blogger Jomama said...

Happy anniversary, Susie! That was a beautiful post. You and Jif are so lucky to have each other.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very sweet and loving. Happy Anniversary, and many, many more.

Love,
Dawn

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

What a lovely list. Happy Anniversary!

The thing with the barbecue sauce was funny. Hey, I'd buy that sauce -- if we had it here in Canada. ;-(

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I kept waiting for the part about the peanut butter...

(Nice post, Susie. You're a dandy.)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! What a beautiful list.

 
Blogger john boy said...

Very nice list. Hap;py anniversary. And, he was right about Stubb's. I've been to the original BBQ place and it is GOOD :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

JOMAMA!, thank you :) I think we are both quite lucky.

thank you, peaches :)

karen, thanks! Maybe Mr. Stubb would send you some :)

hoss, aw, you're a dandy, too. And um, the peanut butter is kinda included in #23 ;)

daphne, thanks very much :)

john boy, thank you, and welcome. Now I'll have to go find out just where this Mr. Stubb's place is.

mrtl, thank you; it was a blessed day ;)

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Awwww...happy anniversary, you two. TWENTY-THREE!!! Wow...two years away from silver :)

 
Blogger Johnny Blogger said...

#24: Jif is not friends with Dr H.O. Potamus and has never invited him to dinner or spoke of him.


Dr H.O. Potamus-Unknown to Jif

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful love affair. Happy (belated) anniversary!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home