header image

Friday, March 24, 2006

Back in the Land of the Living

Reunited, and it feels so good
Reunited, 'cause we understood,
There's one perfect fit,
And sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited 'cause we're
Reunited, hey, hey


I walked through the door this afternoon with a big smile on my face, and was greeted by an equally big smile, a warm, long embrace, and an enthusiastic, "Oh, sweetie! You're back! It's been way too long!"

I happily returned the hug, and added a quick kiss and replied, "I'm back! I've needed this so much. I'm all yours, now, baby. Just do me. Do anything. Do everything!"

That's right. I was reunited this afternoon with Sally. My hairstylist of over 20 years, whom I hadn't seen in months. I'm an every-six-weeks kind of girl, with the hair thing. And it was way before Thanksgiving since I've been there. That should give you some idea of how I have only been doing the bare minimums of caring for clients and family, and less than the minimum of caring for me, during the European odyssey. I mean, that will give you some idea, if the fact that I made out with my hairstylist upon arriving and departing the salon didn't, um, give you some idea, already.

I am still doing the stone thing. But I am returning to normal life, too, thank God. I got me a new, bouncy, flippy hairdo. When I left the salon, everyone on the street smiled at me, and I thought, "Damn! My hair looks GOOD!" And Sally is good; but upon further reflection, I think it was because I was walking down the street smiling. That hasn't happened in a while. I'm getting me back.

I even went (whispering) SHOPPING! Just a quickie. A shirt. A jacket. A purse. A pair of shoes. All necessary, to accessorize the bouncy flippy hair. Y'all know I've had some trouble with shopping, here and there. But today felt really good. And I needed the lift that a new hairstyle and new shoes can give. Looking in the mirror lately, I was reminded of the Kohl's senior discount incident. A couple of months of pain can do not-so-nice things to one's appearance. That and not bothering with lotions, potions, makeup and the like. But I'm getting back into that stuff, too, because it's fun, and I like it. When I'm not preoccupied with peeing rocks. I think I'll be back to normal soon.

Normally, I think I don't look like I'm entitled to a senior discount. I've actually been quite fortunate, for a former sun- worshipper, not to have a lot of wrinkles. But I do have two that I see first thing, every time I look in the mirror. Two starting to stake their claim between my eyebrows. When I first noticed them, I started trying to figure out, why them? Why there? So I made faces that would accentuate them, to try to solve the mystery. Ah, mystery solved. I know how they got the idea that they could claim that territory. Once I accepted that they are there to stay, and will probably get more noticeable as the years go by, I named them: Migraine and Orgasm. I realized that my facial expressions for those two biological realities are pretty much the same. Thankfully, I've had many more of the one than the other; I can't really be upset with my face for telling part of my story. Maybe wrinkles are the face's way of blogging.

Anyhow, all this to say, I feel not too bad. I'm thinking about fun things, girly things, happy things. I'm getting back to normal. Thank you to each of you who has been so caring during this bump in my road. I'm in the home stretch; my very good docs are on top of everything, and I am confident the worst is over.

27 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

Wow, sounds like quite the day out. I like that line about wrinkles being the face's way of blogging. I have a line between my eyebrows. Could be that I didn't wear my glasses regularly and squinted for years.

And I'm an every-six-weeks kinda gal, too, on the hair thing. Except I'm vain enough to get mine colored.

So happy to hear that you're smiling again.

make me smile. :-)

 
Blogger eviluncledave said...

It's nice to hear that you're smiling again.

:)

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

shopping is always good medicine for unwelcome physical pain... I recommend Ross, highly

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Woo hoo! While not 100% it sounds like you are well on your way to normalcy. Nothing like shopping and hair-dos to feel human again. I am so glad that things are a bit better. I am still sending out the good vibes for a complete recovery. Hugs!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh I'm so happy to read this, Susie! Rock on with your flippy new hair and girlie shit! It's good you warned me about those wrinkles, because when I see you I might kiss you on the forehead, and I don't want any misunderstandings, so I'll be careful.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wrinkles are a crack up!

I'm so happy you had a 'you' day. Sounds fantastic and much needed!

Love,
Peaches

 
Blogger Nina said...

This is so good to hear, and I am smiling back at you! As well as laughing my ass off at Eclectic. LOL

 
Blogger Jomama said...

I'm glad to read you had a good day. Retail therary always lift my spirits. And it's cool that your first wrinkles tell such a good story :)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wooo! Susie!

Halle-freakin-lujah! I'm so glad you're feeling better and went out and got yourself all styled and shopped and prettified! What a wonderful, wonderful thing! :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Susie, I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better!

I don't think I've ever wished this on anyone before, but here's hoping you're soon well enough to acquire another wrinkle. ;)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! WaaaaHoooo! I'm glad to know you are on your way! Now I can go get some sleep! LOL Mwah!!!

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Oh, thanks a lot!

Now every time I get a migraine, I'll be wondering, "Does it look like I'm cumming my brains out?"

And every time I have an orgasm, I'll think, "Do I look pained?"

Although I'll be a lot less worried about how I look when the latter happens.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Welcome back, Susie!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! Those nasty ol' stones will be gone in NO time..you watch and see.

And..um...hopefully the orgasm and migraine don't FEEL the same because if they do, we may need to have a talk with Mr. Jif.

 
Blogger Candy said...

Oh shopping and makeup therapy, oooo I want to come too!!!!!!



hhehehehehee and cum too.

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, you know, the nearsighted thing probably played a role for me, too; plus the furrowed brow thing is my "I'm intelligent and thinking deeply" look. I don't whip that one out so much any more, though ;)

eud, thank you, and it's nice to see your :) here.

annejelynn, we have one, but I haven't been there. I'll tell 'em you sent me :)

kranki, thank you for being such a good vibrator :)

nikki, before you leave on your big adventure, I want you to embrace your inner BADASS. You never know when she might need to spring into action. Thank you for everything. You would never ever go to a place with no internet access, right? Don't make me go all badass on YOU.

eclectic, goodlord, you are crazy. Clearly, we are closely related. You can kiss my forehead with NO risk of giving me either a migraine or an orgasm. Unless you know something about forehead kissing that I don't know, and then, do tell.

peaches, I have something for you, honey. And your address is lost in my email mess. Now I will wait for your mail to arrive here, and I'll send my little something right back to you. Love you :)

nina, thank you, and eclectic needs serious help. Mention her to Dr. John, wouldja?

JOMAMA!, yea, maybe I'll let them do a guest post! haahhaaa

ck, halle-freakin'-lujah! I like that :)

mrtl, YAY! It's good to see you out :)

sharkey, you made me laugh. That's a new perspective. Instead of worrying about wrinkles, I'm just gonna be on a lifelong quest to get me some! (wrinkles, that is ;)

traci, silly girl, go to sleep now. Sweet dreams.

katy caverna, just stop. You have to make your faces in the mirror. Go do that now. This might not be the same for you. You might need to post some pix so we can help you with this.

karen, thank you. I'm happy to feel like being back.

jim, your concern is bizarre and touching. They feel distinctly different, thank you for asking. So for now, Jif is off the hook from getting "the talk" from you ;)

JR, you may COME shopping with me anytime. The rest . . . you're on your own.

 
Blogger Susie said...

chchchchia, sorry 'bout the water. I hear you on the day-after hair. My left side looks like crap. And the bangs . . . just not banging. I'll work on it, though ;) Yesterday sure was good . . .

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Ah, this is so lovely. Good on ya, Susie. You deserve nice things.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

I'm starting to see the book title: "The Secret Life of Susie's Forehead -- Tale of an Ordinary Woman's Extraordinary Wrinkles (You won't believe what they can do!)"

This is going to provide me with an all-expense paid stay at the nuthut pretty soon if I'm not careful.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, by the way. Thank you for being YOU.

 
Blogger Susie said...

hoss, thank you, and same to you :)

eclectic, arrangements are being made :) Dr. John runs a lovely nut hut where you will be quite comfy :)

shoshie!, your comment made me realize that y'all may not know, I actually exhibit a (very) little bit of class in real life, and would not say such a thing to most people. Your comment also made me remember that some of my in-laws read this blog! (ohlordhavemercy) Oh, well, they should just be proud of their boy, don't you think? heeheeeee

As for that song, I can't believe you dragged Kneel's gay old ass into this! That was the song that he wanted us to dance to at our wedding reception, if I had not had to leave him at the alter after he showed up all gayed up in a cashmere scarf! Can you not let these memories DIE?! I will also say, for the record, that Kneel contributed only to the wrinkle known as "Migraine."

(And I love you, you crack me up :)

ck, I don't know what prompted that outburst, but I will tell you that when I received it in my email, I cried, because it was exactly what I needed to hear, at that exact moment. No lie. Hugging you.

momo, I wish you could have joined me, too. And here's to no rocks!

 
Blogger Nina said...

You know I may just be able to get for a select few, a discount at Dr. John's nut hut~ seeing how I have been sleeping with the Medical Director. ;P

 
Blogger Susie said...

nina, you hussy! I am counting on you to provide that "in" for these crazy people . . . let's see, we have eclectic . . . jim . . . shoshie . . . um, Nina, are they talking about an addition to that nut hut any time soon?

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Heyyyy glad you're feelin' better. Nothing like a quickie little shopping to make ya feel like new. I don't comment much here but I read plenty.

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

Oh, honey, I'm so glad to "see" you getting back to yourself.

Love and hugs to you, Susie.

 
Blogger Effie said...

"migraine and orgasm" that line just cracked me right up--I've noticed some fine lines appearing on my nose--apparently I crinkle my nose up on a regular basis--it is one of my regular facial expressions apparently--unfortunately I can't call mine "orgasm"--fortunately I can't call them "migraine" either!

Glad you've got a spring back in your step--and your hair! It's spring--I'll shout it from the mountaintop--I want my blogoworld to know....

Hugs to you--Susie Q!

 
Blogger Cori said...

Oh, if you're shopping and haircutting, you *are* back! Loving the wrinkles and, when I get them, I hope I'm as good humored as you are. I've fought, kicking and screaming, through everything else but I hope to get wrinkles and grey hairs with dignity and humor. Did I make you hate me? That wasn't my intention, really.

Yay! Susie's back! That was my intention.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home