header image

Monday, April 10, 2006

Easter Treats

I shared these last year, but a little too late for you to make them. So here they are again, and you have time. They're fun, and sweet and easy.




Coconut Nests

1 1/2 cups melted chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk
2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
50-60 mini jelly beans

Makes 15 to 18 nests

Mix melted chocolate and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper. Make an indentation in center of each nest with a spoon (OK, that's so not true; you can drop with the spoon, but you really have to shape with your fingers, and make an indentation with your thumb). Press 2 or 3 jelly beans into each. Chill till set. (If you want more than 1 batch, make them separately, because the chocolate can begin to harden while you're making all those nests.)

Put them in pretty containers and give most of them away.

They are best enjoyed with some Hip Hop music. :)

22 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hope your feeling better soon. Enough is enough.
And, um, no- its not a fork lift. (I think thats what you said- a few posts back).

Sundays post was beautiful. The flower gives such a spring feeling!

 
Blogger Nina said...

OMG, she is peeing colored stones. . . then I read jelly beans.
See what happens when I leave most of my responsibilities in Colorado. Or it could be at this lower altitude and more oxygen to the brain . . . scary thought.
Hope you are feeling better my dear. I may just have to make some Easter treats. :)

 
Blogger Squirl said...

I looked at the picture and thought, wow, yum. Then I saw the word coconut and said yuck!

But I'm sure they're delicious for anyone who likes coconut.

Hope you're feeling better. Enough of this rocky road.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if someone would make them FOR me!

 
Blogger The Q said...

Ohmygoodness those look GOOD!

Your comment about my dog's toys laughing AT me totally made me laugh. You're right! They see "sucker" written on my forehead and the money just FLIES out of my purse for MORE toys that he doesn't need.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckle AND the recipe.

Give Biscuit a sniff from Moto...well don't DO it yourself...oh nevermind. That just came out ALL wrong!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings,
Those treats look very good. I
may write this down, and skip the
jelly beans. I actually bake from
time to time.
Shoshie mentioned your kidney
stones are still present. If you
need an ear, let Shoshie know and
I would be happy to help if I can.
She could send you my email address. Your medical problem is
the purpose of my visit. Not that you are not a friendly blog host.
If I don't have an opportunity to
stop back. Have a Happy Easter

Sam
(Shoshie's husand)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! Chocolate AND coconut! Two of my favorite things! I got out of the jellybeans during the 80's - blame Regean.

Hope you're feeling good, kid!

 
Blogger Kerri Anne said...

I'm with Squirl on the coconuttage. ; ) But those are definitely the most fun snack I have seen in many a Spring-time.

 
Blogger Susie said...

peaches, I agree, enough is enough. If I could just get the stones to agree :( I received my "lift," and it was perfect timing, as usual. Thank you, my friend. I will enjoy for . . . ever. I sent something out to you yesterday :)

nina, I wish I would pee colored stones. Or precious gems. What I'm doing is getting pretty boring :(

squirl, if you are interested, I am 99.9% sure this would work fine with chow mein noodles in place of the coconut. Might even be better, not quite so sweeeeeeeet. They are almost too sweet, as it. Hmmm, the more I think of that, the more I like adding the neutral crunch to the nest :)

ssnick, NO! They're fun to make. And you'll feel so MARTHA if you do ;)

soozieQ, hi! I really can't get Bobo's face out of my mind; I'd have to shell out the $ for him, too. He has an irresistible smile :)

sam, you are welcome any time, and thank you for checking in on me. As I told these folks, I thought I was all done, but pain and "gravel" came back last Friday. I still have the twinges that tell me at least one more "episode" is coming, sooner or later. I am back with the Flomax, have plenty of painkillers as I need them, and a Rx for a CT scan if it appears that a stone is stuck. I am still just drinking a lot and hoping to expedite the passage of whatever's left.
Happy Passover and Happy Easter to you and yours. (But I'll see you for the family Seder ;)

jim, I would never let a candy's political affiliation turn me against it ;)

kerri, see note to Squirl; I think chow mein noodles will work :)

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*wrinkles nose at jelly beans*










*and Peeps*

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Mmm, chocolate and coconut and... jelly beans! I think Easter has the best candy. (And yes, I'm being facetious. I know what Easter is all about.)

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

P.S. I am so sorry you are still suffering with the stones. (I just didn't want to mention it in the same comment as Easter candy.)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

*wrinkles nose at coconut and jelly beans and Bloggy*

*thinks "Must have CHOCOLATE WABBIT!"*

Thinking of you Susie! Hugs!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Bwahahahaha -- HIP HOP music!

I just got that...

*off to stare at a can of caffeine*

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

for brief moment, but a moment nonetheless, before the page fulled loaded, I thought I was about to witness Biscuit poop with some unfortunate plastic piece discovered therein... I know, I worry about me too.

 
Blogger Kerri Anne said...

Mmm, crunchy non-coconut nests. I'm SO in! ;) (Thanks for le recipe!)

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Give ALL of them away. Do not stay to see if anybody eats one.

 
Blogger Susie said...

mrB, I could do without both, too, but, 'tis the season . . .

karen, Thank you for keeping the candy and the stones separate; such decorum is rare around these parts ;)

jd'srose, welcome; I think they're cute, too :)

meanShoshie, I will be ringing your doorbell at 4:59 with nests in hand ;) I will be there in spirit. You won't believe how much my spirit can eat.
I hope you hear from Nikki very soon :(

ck, I like that you think of me and chocolate wabbits together. We do go together well :)

sharonK, I think chocolate a LOT. Happy Easter :)

annejelynn, this place has been pretty lame lately, but I haven't yet posted dog poop pix. Stay tuned, though . . .

kerri, we aim to please :)

hoss, what do you have against chocolate nests?

 
Blogger August95 said...

Hi Susie, hope you are doing well. I was just looking for something to make with my whole coconut. I will give these a try... maybe without the jelly beans.

Thanks. Oh very pretty picture from your Sunday post

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how everyone else feels, but Susie withdrawl is killing me.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Heartworks -- why do you think I keep coming back here so often? :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

Hi, august, nice to see you :) I hope you enjoy, and thanks on the pic.

heartworks, welcome, thanks for stopping in. I finally wrote something new, thanks to you, because I got enough trouble without worrying about killing somebody here ;)

ck, OK, I did it. Having a little trouble getting words flowing; the Flomax doesn't even help.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home