header image

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Sunday Post

I'm not putting words together so well this week, struggling with the loss of my friend, my SWLF sister. I want to write something about Nikki, but I cannot, yet. In a day or so.

These are just some random, scattered thoughts I've been thinking.

tulip

These are some verses, from the Gospel of John, chapters 14-16, that have been especially meaningful to me in recent days. Jesus is speaking, in each:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid.


Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

This is my command: Love each other.

In a little while, you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me.

You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. Now is your time of grief, but you will see me again, and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.

daisies

One of the most powerful parts of the Easter story, to me, is in Luke's gospel when Jesus is betrayed. His friend, Peter, in an effort to protect Him, takes his sword and cuts off the ear of a Centurion, sent to apprehend Jesus. Jesus says, "No more of this!" and he touches the man's ear, and it is healed.

Luke's gospel is the only one in which this detail appears, I think. I never paid much attention to this vignette, until LG went to Sunday School, at age three, and her teacher emphasized it as an important part of the Easter story.

LG came home and said to me, "One thing I don't understand. Why did Jesus help that man, even though he knew that man wanted to hurt him?" While I tried to think of an answer that might be both accurate and understandable to a three-year-old, LG answered it herself. She said this as though it were the most obvious thing in the world: "I know! Because Jesus was being a Christian!"

I was speechless. I thought then, as I think now, "Kid, if you can get that, at age three, you're at a level of understanding that many adult Christians never reach." Most adults who profess Christianity can't seem to get that, I'm afraid. It is about loving, as God loves us. Even at our most unlovable. Perhaps especially at our most unlovable.

purple tulips

There is perhaps a better, more "proper" or at least different, Easter post here, from last year. In case you're not in the mood to go back there, I'll lift this from it, especially for my non-Christian friends here today:

" . . . if you're not celebrating the Resurrection, if you believe and think differently than I about this day, I especially want to say to you, I'm glad you're visiting, I'm thankful you've read this far. And even without the beliefs that accompany Easter, may you know the spirit of Easter -- love that comes to see about you; forgiveness that doesn't keep a record of your wrongs; a fresh start, a new beginning every morning; and a way to get home. Peace to you."

And for my Christian friends, some of you said last year that you didn't hear "it," and you didn't get to say "it," even though you went to church. This one's for you. You know what to do :)

HE IS RISEN.

You heard it here. Go tell it.

lilies

file under: &Sunday Post

31 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Amy said...

Happy Easter to you, Susie. Beautiful.

 
Blogger Nina said...

Love, and it is all about love. I believe that from the bottom of my heart.
I can't claim a religion, well not as people know "religion" but I do know when I have read the bible at different times in my life. Jesus was & is all about love. Not the laws and things like the first half, but love . . . LG at three got that, not surprised with you as her mom.
Happy Easter!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Susie.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*May* have to ask for a rain check, or I might have to search my family photo CDs from last year for "bonnet pics." We got some wet and dark weather today. At the moment anyway.

Sorry for the loss. It's not always possible to know the "why" but I suppose knowing it's there, is at least part of the answer itself.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Happy Easter, dear sister. I hope you can find joy in the day.

Thank you for your lovely post and pictures.

Love to all of your family.

 
Blogger Ern said...

HE IS RISEN INDEED!

Thank you for this post. Even at the darkest times you find a way to be uplifting without being trite, and I love you for that. It's a rare gift.

Love, peace, and hope.

 
Blogger Susie said...

shoshie and swlf, just want you to know, you were named by my pastor, from the pulpit today, when she listed those for whom the congregation should pray. So now add a couple hundred strange Presbyterians -- no, let's say Presbyterian strangers -- to those from whom God is hearing about you. (btw, your privacy was not compromised, just "the family of Nikki, Susan's friend who died . . . " and so on.)

amy, thanks, and to you, too, beautiful Amy :)

nina, that's why it is so appealing for me to want to follow Him. I almost said, "so easy," but, it's anything but easy, much of the time. Still, I want to do just that. Happy Easter to you, too :)

jdt, thank you; to you and yours, as well. It's nice that you're taking an evil vacation day.

mrB, we had a day like that a couple of years ago, fancy hats got rained out.
I think I know what you mean. Trusting that there is a why, even if I'm not privy to it, that does help me. And that is pretty much the story of my life, too.

squirl, I'm finding joy right this minute, seeing nice people like you stopping in here :)

ern, yes, He is :) What a very kind thing for you to say. Thank you for that. Love, peace and hope to you, too.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

An excellent and inspiring post for Easter. Thank you. Many blessings and much shalom to you.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Happy Easter to you and your family,Susie!

I'm just trying to catch up on all the blogs I've been missing, and I wanted to say I LOVE your hat post. I have always been a hat fanatic, though I haven't often found one I really like. I'll bet you and LG are stunning in your Easter chapeaux.

Hugs to you, sis!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful Susie. Happy Easter. He is risen, indeed.

One day, we will all meet again. My prayers go out to you, to Shoshie, all the sister and all whose life Nikki touched.

I'm sorry the email about me getting the package you sent was so quick. I do love it. The boys loved the peeps! I love my peeps. So soft and squishy. Of course the something peach. Reminds me of a wedding day- something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. Dont know why, thats what comes to mind.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Susie my dear. I am not a big fan of Easter to be honest although my girlies do love to get cute baskets and hunt for eggs etc! I struggle with "Christianity" for lots of reasons that go way back...that said, Happy Easter my friend...you seem to exemplify the true spirit and meaning of this holiday. My wish for you is peace.

 
Blogger Susie said...

ssnick, thank you, and I want to tell you, when I wrote the part where LG said, "Jesus was being a Christian," I thought of you. You are one who helps those who may well hurt you. It does not go unnoticed.

bucky, LG was adorable in her hat; I didn't go there, after all. Very minimalist in the Easter finery this year :( I've seen at least one of your fine hats. You look good in hats. I have to be careful in which ones I choose. Happy Easter to you and your menageri--- I mean, family, too :) If y'all have an egg hunt, my money's on the big girl.

peaches, my peeps ;) are you trying to tell us something, with the wedding talk?
I had told Jif, when Nikki left, that I was going to meet her as soon as she got home. I thought I would meet her in a year. Now, I don't know when it will be. It could be sooner than that, it could be later; we are all acutely aware, once again, that there are no guarantees. But I agree, we will meet. Thank you for the prayers; you are in mine, too.

traci, I am sorry for your struggling, except that I think it is out of struggling that we find what we really believe. In my experience most people's struggles with faith are brought on by what humans have done in the name of religion, moreso than what God has done. I am sorry if you've been hurt in that way. I wish you peace in your heart, too, friend.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Happy Easter to you and your family. Lots of love to you all.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Happy Easter to you.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is risen indeed!

I wish that I could put words together as well as you do when you're not putting words together so well. Beautiful words, beautiful pictures, a beautiful message, a beautiful post.

Happy Easter!

 
Blogger August95 said...

Happy Easter Susie.

Hugs to you and to the family of Nikki. So very sorry to hear, so sad.

Your photos and words are both beautiful.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Happy Easter, Susie.

I am not surprised at the difficulty you are having. I know how much I was affected by just a single comment from Nikki. How much more difficult must it be for those whose lives were touched by so much more.

Thank you for your pictures and words today. Both are beautiful.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I got a photo of a hat! Woo hoo!

And it's posted! Only, thing is, it seems the expressions are a little off. Not sure why. I was trying to get smiles and I said, "OK, think of boogers in your peanut butter!" And, look what I got...not exactly smiles. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want you to know I'm here with you, Susie.

Otherwise, I'm feeling at a loss for thoughts and words.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Such a lovely, lovely post, Susie. I took the sentiment to heart, and the pictures are very beautiful as well.

Thank you.

 
Blogger Effie said...

Well said Susie--loved the pics, quotes and Easter message--just what I needed! Hugs & Happy Easter to you!

He is Risen Indeed!

 
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Happy belated Resurrection Day!

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

He is risen, indeed!

(We didn't get to say "it" at church yesterday. So, thanks for that, Susie.)

On another note, I'm not as close to the SWLF sisters and Deb as you are, but I have been watching (er..reading) from the sidelines, and my heart hurts for them. And for you, too, because when you're sad, I'm sad.

I love you, Susie. And I'm here if you need me.

God bless you, my friend.

 
Blogger Clandestine said...

those pictures are beautiful.

xoxo

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this gave me a feeling of peace. The flower photos accompanied the words. Very Eastery.

Williams Brother

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Thank you for another beautiful post even in your saddness. Those are some great quotes from John.

Hugs and love to you,
from Dashababymamma

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of you in this time of grief.

LG's words of wisdom are perfect.

 
Blogger Susie said...

kranki, thank you, my forgiving friend, love to you, too :)

william, Happy Easter to you, too. It's late, but it's not. The tomb is empty every day. Still Easter.

sharkey, thank you. You do your share of spreading the beautiful, my friend :)

august, thank you, for everything.

karen, thank you. Nikki is so extraordinary; we are all blessed to have encountered her.

mrB, I saw your lovely pix. Not everyone likes their peanut butter that way ;)

sheryl, being with me is just fine. Just right. The gift of presence, we call it. Thank you.

ck, thank you :)

effie, hugs and Happy Easter backatcha :)

crayoneater, like I said to William, it is true every day :)

ladybug, you are such a compassionate person, I know that you are caring for all who hurt. Thank you.

clandestine, welcome, and thank you :)

WB, welcome. Which one are you? ;) What a nice thing to say. I am glad, about the peace thing.

dashababymama, thank you, you are the sweetest.

daphne, nice to see you again, and thank you for your kindness.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

I'm late, so late, but I didn't get to say it either (we were working in the church NURSERY, of all days...), so let me say it now...

He is risen indeed! :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I a bad Catholic because I covet your camera?

Those pictures are beautiful.

Happy Easter. Late even.

Love,
Debs

 
Blogger Austin of Sundrip said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home