header image

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

In the Mood

Because I have benefitted so greatly from the "blove" you all have shown here, I wanted to give you a little Valentine's Day gift. But I had a hard time thinking of something. If you've been around here much, you know I usually have a song in my head, and often in my comments, too. So I thought maybe we could share some love songs with each other today. Songs that give us warm fuzzies, or other warm parts; songs that get us in the mood for love.

You know that I love Aaron Neville. But if I ever had a date with Aaron . . . we'd be listening to Smokey Robinson. Let me be clear -- I don't want to "be" with Smokey; I want to "be" with whomever I'm with when Smokey's singing. He just does it for me, and he always has. I can't explain it, but Smokey's voice has always melted me, made me say "yes" before I even understood the question. Once, a few years back, Jif and I went to a Smokey concert. Ohmygosh. He sang beautifully, but even more memorable than that, he sent "ushers" up and down the aisles of the concert hall, with baskets, like they were taking an offering in church. They collected our song requests. Then Smokey stood up on stage, and picked little pieces of paper out of the baskets, and sang exactly what we asked him to. Did you ever in your life?

This is one of my favorite Smokey songs:

Let Me Be The Clock


Let me be the clock for the time of your life
Let me be the pendulum that strikes your chime
For the first time

I'm cuckoo I know
Counting hours till we will be together
When the door to my heart will open
It's for sure that I will be hopin', hopin' that you

Will let me be the clock for the time of your life
And let me be the pendulum that strikes your chime
For the first time
Let it begin

Cause every moment we're apart
Is some good feeling wasted
A good feeling deep down inside me told me
A good time for me to try to get you to hold me
Is right here and now so

Let me be the clock for the time of your life
And let me be the pendulum that strikes your chime
For the first time, for the first time

I wanna be your pendulum, baby
Striking your chime

Hickory dickory dock
I want to be your clock
Just set me for lifetime
And I'll wake you up every morning

Let me be the pendulum striking your chime for the first time
And every time after that cause I know where it's at

So let me, let me, let me, let me, let me
I wanna be your pendulum, baby


I LOVE that. It's so silly and innocent, but so erotic at the same time. "Let me be the pendulum striking your chime..." "...every time after that, 'cause I know where it's at..." And let's face it, knowing "where the chime is at" is vital, and not always easily accomplished. Don't make me draw you a picture -- because I can --

::tangent:: Seriously, at work, I have sometimes had to draw pictures, well, diagrams of the female anatomy for couples. I don't mind doing this at all. What I did mind once, though, was when I drew what I drew, and I assure you, I would stand behind my drawing, but the husband takes the dry-erase marker from me and says, "Actually, I thought it was more like this . . ." WTF? Dude, your wife is asking me to draw you a picture . . . get a clue, here . . . ::end tangent::

LG and I have dressed Legolas as your Valentine's Day troubador for the occasion, and he will now take requests.

Valentine's Legolas
Note the "Happy Day" belt buckle -- a great last minute gift idea!


So, what song, or what singer does it for you? ;)

37 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Susie said...

MEAN GIRLS!, don't you dare bring Kneel Sedaka's old, gay, white ass in here to ruin my mood!

 
Blogger Ern said...

OMG, mrtl, that title did the same thing for me! It's gonna be in my head until I go to bed.

(And the couple? Sheesh.)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you looked at the husband dude like he just farted on your best suit.

And the belt-buckle. Who doesn't love that? Do you know where I could purchase such adornment?

 
Blogger Susie said...

mrtl, I know, isn't that so naughty?
I'm in the mood for love,
Simply because you're near me...
Except now I hear Alfalfa singing that...
Love and kisses backatcha; I hope you're kissing Miss Frida soon.

ern, I am most delighted to have sent you off to bed singing, "I'm in the Mood for Love;" tell David he's welcome ;)

jim, you'd look so hot in that belt buckle; they come in packs of 20 at the Hallmark store.
Jim, I was counting on you to favor us with a romantic ballad; do come back . . . am I too subtle for you people . . . should I just ask . . . what music do you like to play when you DO IT?

 
Blogger Unknown said...

>>what music do you like to play when you DO IT?

Um, do WHAT?

 
Blogger Susie said...

When you write code, CK. Or make bad grilled cheese sammiches :p

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing is one song that pops into my head.

But a really great album ya know for those long sessions, is Passion by Peter Gabriel. It is instrumental.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

As I was reading this post, all I could think of was the song, "When Smokey Sings" by ABC.

BTW: Drawing pictures? What an interesting job you have! (I'm guessing you don't include that in your speech on Career Day, though.)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

OH! Well, in that case;
Home by Michael Buble, or Last Man Standing, or Story of My Life or Have a Nice Day by Bon Jovi.

Or, you know, nearly anything by Barry Manilow. ;)

Oh! Oh! Or Deep Purple by Donny Osmond. :p

 
Blogger Squirl said...

I don't care about anything else but being with you, being with you, being with you...

I love Smokey, too. And Al Green, and Barry White.

But another voice I love that nobody remembers anymore is Gino Vanelli. Oh yeah.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay-I am so into Legolas. I have a thing for the elves. They are so frikkin' hot in those movies.

As for music, I purchased the Michael Buble CD at the Hallmark Store because the little voices in my head told me to. And I must say, I would totally make out with Legolas while listening to this CD. Buble is just awesome.

I feel I have shared enough. I now return you to your regularly scheduled day.....


Deneen

 
Blogger MrsDoF said...

Gotta agree with William that PASSION is real sweet.
Tellin' our age here, but I wanna kiss you all over by EXILE has good rhythm.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me it's John Mayer's "Your Body is a Wonderland." He's very appreciative and respectful of his partner and her body, and I think that's incredibly sexy.

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

I'm SO digging Legolas's heart-shaped earrings. Hee.

And - Oh geez, should I even admit this? - Deputy Dad and I used to, umm, do it, to the magical song stylings of Air Supply. *snicker*

Happy VD (hee), Susie!

 
Blogger Nina said...

I am feeling deprived, since I have never done it with music. But I am thinking we are making our own music. Yea that is it, okay I am not feeling deprived any more. Since the music we make is pretty sweet. More information than you wanted I am sure. Being married to a doctor, there is no need for diagrams . . . Says smiling Nina. Tee hee . . .
Happy Valentines Day Susie!

 
Blogger eviluncledave said...

For aural stimulation I'd have to recommend "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode.

As far as visual stimulation goes though... I think I'm really starting to see just why you find that elf so hot. ;)

 
Blogger Candy said...

Maynard. I will have to post some song links to his music and then you will understand.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

oh! well there y'are, see? I haven't 'done it' since 1932.

But when I did, it was either Kate Bush or 'Skeleton Woman' by Flesh and Bone

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I always digged Kenny Rogers's rendition of "Something's Burning" ("and I think it's love.")

 
Blogger Susie said...

william, oh, yea, I love Sexual Healing . . . it's not a bad song either (I HAD to) . . . Now, William, "those long sessions" of which you speak . . . I . . . memory eludes me . . . I REALLY have to cut back on the blogging ;)
Mmmm, Marvin Gaye is darn near in Smokey's league, I must say...


karen, I was going to reference that song in my post, as evidence that I am not the only one similarly affected by Smokey's voice . . . it is lyrically documented, as you point out, that he can cause people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do.
You know, I'm not much good on career day, because most of my good stories are protected under privacy laws :(

ck, even MRS. Donny Osmond won't allow Donny Osmond to sing in the bedroom; unless he sings Barry White (not Manilow).

squirl, I think I remember Gino Vanelli; I'll have to google him. I'm glad you showed up, I know you love the same music I do, from back in the day. Thank you for the Smokey. Here's some for you:

Maybe you want to give me kisses sweet,
But only for one night with no repeat,
Maybe you'll go away and never call
And a taste of honey's worse than none at all
In that case I don't want no part
I do believe that that would only break my heart
Oh, but if you feel like lovin' me,
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion
Said, if you feel like givin' me
A lifetime of devotion..
I second that emotion

deneen, I saw that CD, but I resisted. I have made out with Legolas to the Lion King soundtrack, though :)

mrsDoF, I can't listen to Kiss You All Over anymore, since my then 3-year-old heard it and asked, "Does he mean my bottom...does he mean my 'gina?" Yea, it kinda loses something after that.

kalki, I cannot disagree with any of that :)

ladybug, get outta here! Air Supply? I would be All Out of Love if I had to listen to that ;)

smilingnina, you make me smile, too; you and Dr. John make beautiful music together, I'm sure (if you throw in some Smokey, you will reach new heights...)

eud, aural stimulation, you say? I like the sound of that. Hey, if you want, I can send you a "belt buckle" and some pointy ears, for dress-up play ;)

jr, yes, you will, because I don't know maynard :(

shoshie, yes, YOU, mean girl. Barry White's voice can defeat the most medically advanced contraceptives, I have heard. I'll sing some for you:

Whatever you want
Girl, you got
And whatever you need
I don’t want to see you without it

You’ve given me much more
Than words could ever say
And oh, my dear, I’ll be right here
Until my dyin’ day

I don’t know just how to say
All the things I feel
I just know that I love you so
And it gives me such a thrill

‘Cause I found
What this world is searching for
Here, right here, my dear
I don’t have to look no more

And all of my days
I hoped and I prayed
For someone just like you
To make me feel the way you do

I’m never, never gonna give you up
I’m never, ever gonna stop
Stop the way I feel about you
Girl, I just can’t live without you

I’m never, ever gonna quit
‘Cause quittin’ just ain’t my stick
I’m gonna stay right here with you
Do all the things you want me to


There, was that good? Quittin' just ain't his stick. I think Jif will dance, if Sam will. Maybe they can wear the belt buckles, whaddya think?

jim, you haven't done it since before you were born? We're gonna get you a date, Jim . . .

hoss, it has to be said, "That is HOT."

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

Aaron Neville and Smokey Robinson? as if it hadn't already been official, you are the biggest cheeseball! I love it! - oh and Legolas is HOT!

Happy Sappy Day to you and yours!

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I don't generally find traditionally romantic songs to be mood-setting for me, sexually. Put on some White Zombie for me, and things will get movin'.
But if I had to pick a traditional-type makeout song, I guess it might be Van Morrison "Moondance"

 
Blogger Susie said...

annejelynn, somewhere there's a song called "Nobody But You," and that's what I sing to you, cutie: nobody but you can call me a cheeseball and make me smile :)

bucky, I like Moondance; I like most Van Morrison.
Have I told you lately that I love you?

nikki, the whole band are Mean Girls SOMETIMES, but yes, Shoshie is the meanest of the mean. I hope you have a happy Valentine's Day, and feel very, very loved, because that's what you are :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart you...
And Smokey's the ONLY kind of smoke that I love.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks for the extra Smokey. :-)

And thanks for the Gino on my site.

Is this supposed to be formal? My word ver is tuxvbltv Black tux on tv

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I love his quiver of flowers.

 
Blogger Katie said...

I agree that Marvin Gaye's voice totally does it for me. And strangely, Yanni. OH! And Josh Brolin! My God I totally want to shag all night long after hearing Josh Brolin. Okay, that was too much information, wasn't it? ;-)

 
Blogger Susie said...

sheryl, I heart you right back, sweetie. And you love Smokey, too? I just fall more and more in love with you ;)

squirl, you can never have too much Smokey. I'm glad you enjoyed the Gino. I think we can lose the formal attire, now, everyone's getting pretty comfy :)

kranki, I'm just glad someone said "quiver." That's a FUN word, doncha think? Doncha?

katie, hey, girl! Nice to see you :) Josh Brolin, I like well enough . . . Yanni . . . he has his place, I'm not so sure it's in my bed . . . OK, we do need a little more Marvin:

There is nothing wrong with me
loving you
And giving yourself to me
Could never be wrong
If the love is true

Ooh, that's a good one :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post really excites me!! I think, no, I know i'm getting my sence of humor back!! WooHoo! I know y'all are talking about...doing IT. I'm cracking up! I have a renewed appreciation for your site, and Buckys. Shhh. Dont tell Bucky, but i'd read her posts and just 'not get' them. Now, Show Me The Monkey! (not really, cuz i'z gots my own). But I get it!!

Ok, yea, i'm a dork.

Its all about Barry, baby, all about Barry!

 
Blogger Susie said...

lawbrat, oh, honey, you made me laugh so hard. I am glad your sense of humor is intact. And horrified that you lump my G-rated site in with that smut palace, the Cotillion!
(This post excites me, too ;)

And just checking, to make sure you're not too dorked out -- we're talking Barry WHITE, now, not Barry Williams, right? Cause that would require further treatment . . .

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, Susie? Neither of those Barry's. Dont laugh now.

BARRY MANILOW!!!!


I said not to laugh!

 
Blogger MrsDoF said...

SS Katie--Do you mean Josh Groban? He's the singer. And although he has a nice voice, he uses it for concert hall songs and is still so young that he is trying to find out how to make it sound sexy in a smoky coffeehouse.
Josh Brolin is an actor, the son of James Brolin, who is the husband of Barbra Striesand.

 
Blogger Susie said...

lawbrat, oh no, girlfriend, you can't stop me. You, my dear, are the first-ever recipient, from me, of LMAO! I always thought my A was too substantial to L it O, but nope, you might do it, today!

mrsDoF, oops, I think you're right, Katie and I are wrong. Brolin is an actor, Groban is a singer. Too many Joshes.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Susie, the first thought that came to my mind were about those commercials, you know the ones...finding a 'love handle' here and a 'tummy' there, because the took the stairs!
Ya, I thought of your A, on the floor next to you.

 
Blogger Susie said...

lawbrat, as much as I have maligned my A here, and as much as it has surely grown over the past year, from sitting on it, blogging, way too much, I must say, the thought of it unattached and sitting on the floor next to me, is not a pleasant one! ;)

rachel, oh, I could SO have been in your little Motown band! I was going to grow up to be a backup singer for Lou Rawls:
You're gonna miss my lovin'...

I had the moves DOWN, baby.

Shoshie is terribly mean to me, but I forgive her, because when we launch our musical extravaganza tour, she's going to let me be Aretha Franklin. The Queen of Soul, that's me. I'm thinking Nikki and the Sisters will be the opening act, then when it's Aretha Time, y'all, plus Sam and Jif, will be the backup dancers. I know that people are hounding Ticketmaster already, the buzz is just HUGE, HUGE, I tell you!

 
Blogger Opera Gal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
Blogger Opera Gal said...

Well, you all knew I was going to show up here and ruin the pop music mood.
Josh Groban?
oh, I have SO MUCH work to do.
BTW, William? Passion is really one of the most amazing albums ever ever ever released. VERY good for massages.
:)
Link: Amarilli
And a photo of the singer, just in case you weren't swooning enough already:Hvorostovsky

Words in Italian:
Amarilli, mia bella,
Non credi, o del mio cor dolce desio,
D'esser tu l'amor mio?
Credilo pur: e se timor t'assale,
[Dubitar non ti vale.]1
Aprimi il petto e vedrai scritto in core:
Amarilli, Amarilli, Amarailli
è il mio amore.
English:
Amaryllis, my lovely one,
do you not believe, o my heart's sweet desire,
That you are my love?
Believe it thus: and if fear assails you,
Doubt not its truth.
Open my breast and see written on my heart:
Amaryllis, Amaryllis, Amaryllis,
Is my beloved.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home