header image

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

10 Things Addendum: Tell it Like it Is


I stand by my assessment of this guy...

I've been taking some email crap about my choice for Sexiest Man Alive. To really get the full Aaron experience, you have to hear him sing. It's not about appearance so much as it is the combination of appearance and voice. And you have to know this about me: I am an auditory person. My preferred, dominant way of experiencing the world around me is through sound. Music, laughter, nature....all about the sound. There, that should take care of the controversy.

Being such an auditory person, if I ever meet you and talk with you, I will remember the sound of your voice, and I will remember what you said to me. There is a pretty good chance that I will not remember much about what you looked like. Unless I saw you through binoculars from a great distance at an outdoor concert, while you were singing with your brothers, and that sax was blowing, and you obviously still pump some serious iron, I could tell because you were wearing that denim-jacket-with-the-sleeves-ripped-out, and I stared at your biceps until the backs of my knees were sweating, and then I just stopped that! because it's just not right to stand there staring at a particular body part like that... Well, yea, if that were the case, then I might remember what you looked like;)

43 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger butterstar said...

Ok. I tried. Really I did, really hard. To just. let. the Aaron. Neville. comment. go.

NOW I CAN'T.

Aaron Neville?????????????????????

That's all. See, not too mean. :)

It's a presonal thing for me though. There's something about his voice that makes me uncomfortable to listen to it. I don't know what it is; it just grates on me and hurts my ears (and I know he can sing and sing well; I'm not being snotty towards ol' Aaron). I don't know why. I have some CDs where he's singing a song or harmony, and I can't even listen to them at all. It's not a personal dislike; the song choices are fine. It just literally doesn't agree with me (like a music allergy). Just thinking about him singing and my ears are hurting. I get that way about some music...my husband used to play Primus to me because he knew it made my ears bleed. One time I stopped the car in the middle of a busy road and prepared to jump out. It's like angry bees buzzing around in my brain. Weird, eh? Luckily, it happens with very few artists, or I'd be in trouble.

I really am not being sarcastic! Which is amazing because normally, I would be.

I can see your point, though. And he does have the biceps thing going for him.

(besides, what do I know? I worshipped at the musical altar of Billy Joel for 15 years--and I doubt he has any decent biceptage)

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

I'm so sorry, Susie.

I had no idea my biceps made the backs of your knees sweat like that.

 
Blogger Susie said...

butterstar, that's just so sad. I do understand, I mean not about Aaron per se, but about how certain voices just don't work with certain ears. I've had some that other people think are great singers, and I can't stand, they almost give me seizures. I won't hold it against you. How 'bout Smokey Robinson? He does it for me, too, but without the biceps. Aaron is sexy, while Smokey makes others appear sexy.

ladybug, that's OK, honey. It's not a bad thing;)

 
Blogger Joseph said...

I was with a black man once and it wasn't his biceps that made me weak in the back of the knees. I'm just sayin...

 
Blogger Squirl said...

I like Aaron Neville's sound. His looks don't do much for him, but since I would be listening to his music and not hanging out with him I won't be looking at him anyway. Smokey Robinson is great, too. A voice I really like is Al Green. I just bought a CD of his with a lot of 60s-70s tunes. Any male soul voice works for me, though.

Ladybug - didn't know about your biceps.

 
Blogger Susie said...

GREENIE!!!! It ain't like that with Aaron and me. What we have is REAL... (please don't report me to my licensing board)

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, I love that music, too. I keep dropping hints for Jif to get me the Time Life Soul Ballads collection. drop. drop. Sha-la-la-la, I love you...

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm just going to say that when it comes to sexy, to each their own.

obviously ;)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just happy to be here. Damn Blogger comments.

Susie, don't fret about people not understanding or agreeing with your Neville-love. We don't have to agree with you... or understand... We still love you.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, darlin... yes, we still love you.

Aaron Neville wouldn't be my choice, but then again, I used to think Bo Duke and Richard Marx were sexy.

And why is it that whenever I hear Aaron Neville's voice, I think of Fivel the Mouse from American Tail?

And Donny Osmond. And, briefly Shaun Cassidy -- like, for a day.

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Okay...Circus Kelli...I'm with you on the shaun cassidy and donny osmond crush...had their posters up along with my hardy boys and horse posters.

lord...thinking back on that...you would of thought that my parents would of been clued in.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Greenie... didn't you know? Parents are clueless. ;)

Wait... Donny wasn't just a crush to me, you know. I would have had a Donny Osmond pillow case, but they were sold out. I was going to marry him. *sigh* Finally, though, I couldn't wait any longer for him to come to his senses -- so I came to mine. :)

And that comment about the black man... SHAME ON YOU!

 
Blogger Susie said...

honestyrain, you are a diplomat, obviously;)

mrtl, I'm happy to be here, too; thanks to you and CK for the love. Nobody on blogger is gettin' much lovin' these days. Comment drought:(

CK and greenie, I was never into those dudes when everybody else was. I had a Sly Stallone (Rocky) poster in high school. I always went a little older -- hmmm, come to think of it, my first "celebrity" crush was Ben Cartwright of Bonanza -- yea, the gray-haired dad of the Ponderosa. BUT, that's just with celebrities, I never dated anyone much older in real life. I only started to like Donny Osmond after he came out a year or two ago about his mental illness. Hmmm, that probably says something about me, too;)

 
Blogger butterstar said...

I dig Smokey ok. But who I really love is Sam Cooke. I loves me some serious Sam Cooke. An ditto what mrtl said. Because frankly, I don't think I'll EVER understand. *snort*

No Donny Osmond or Shaun Cassidy for me, I was too young. I was in love with George Michael in his Wham! days. Now THAT certainly turned out to be a pointless crush.

My brother (taunting): Wham's GAY!
Me (crying): No they're not!!

repeat ad finitum until 15 years later...

My brother: did you hear about George Michael?
Me (crying): I guess they really WERE gay...(runs sobbing from room)

Not that being gay is bad, of course, but it sure makes the dream wedding less believable.

 
Blogger butterstar said...

duh. that was ad INfinitum. Except since it stopped 15 years later, it wasn't really ad infinitum, was it. So I guess ad finitum is right, ha!

 
Blogger Susie said...

butterstar, darling, you send me, honest you do, honest you do...see, if people will just talk, they can find something to agree on. I love Sam, too. And George Michael is still hot. I don't know if you will remember this, but somewhere in my loads of junk, I have a videotape from SNL where Dana Carvey plays George Michael. The skit is about George's butt and how it is so perfectly round that it is used to calibrate scientific instruments, etc. HI-LARIOUS, still. Wake me up before you go-go...

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Tell it like it is,, is one of my all time favorite songs! Aaron is hot because hes not all sissified. Tough enough to sport that mole or whatever it is proudly, gotta give him credit.

 
Blogger Susie said...

Thank you, dashababy, finally, a woman who recognizes quality in a mole-sportin' hunka man!

 
Blogger Susie said...

mamaramma, don't be hatin' Aaron. Although, he may actually have been a criminal at one time, not just played one on TV. I think he was in prison very briefly. Gee, I guess I should go to mrtl's and find his prison name and see how well it goes with my "Pillow Biter." Good luck with Alicia Hill.

 
Blogger Susie said...

oh, mama, one of the last times the Nevilles were in our area, Jif and I were going thru terrible times, not with each other, but with outside situations, and Aaron sang that one, and Jif and I just looked at each other and held hands....sniff, you bring back memories...

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Butterstar, George was MINE! Did you get their first album, the one with "I'm just a love machine"? He wasn't gay then, and he totally sang it to me. What?

Susie, I remember that Dana Carvey skit very well. "Look. at. my. butt. Look at it!"

 
Blogger Susie said...

mrtl, that was unforgettable. "Look at it! It's a force to be reckoned with. The worst thing you can do is try to ignore it!" Jif and I still say those things to each other. Good times. Good times.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Okay, all this talk about biceps bustin' out and black men with impressive non-biceps...well, I don't usually think of this as a blog to get my mojo risin'.
But there it is, my mojo, all over my desk.

For shame, Susie, for shaaaaaame...

 
Blogger Susie said...

well yea bucky, and don't forget George Michael's perfectly spherical derriere.
Oh, we got mojo here. All sorts of things rise here. Mojo, bread dough, Tide (yea, the detergent), bad moons...it's a very freaky place...

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie, I have a confession and an apology. I doubted you. I'm sorry I doubted you. Aaron Neville's Prison Bitch name is indeed what you said. Does that make the back of your knees sweat, too? ::fingers to cover mouth:: I'm so bad.

By the way, George's is "Ass Master." HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHA!

 
Blogger Susie said...

mrtl, why you be doubtin'? I done tol' you I'm pathologically honest. Actually, Aaron's name being what it is, is what makes me bite my pillow, if you know'm sayin'. And George's name, well, duh, who else would have a butt that can calibrate scientific instruments, if not the Master?

 
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

Dude, I'm with BFE...look at his arms! He's completely ripped!

 
Blogger Susie said...

see, plum knows quality when she sees it. plum, you should see them up close and personal. your knees would sweat.

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

I'm showing my age here-
*cover your eyes now if you're squeamish*
My big musical (?) crush was Davy Jones from the Monkees!
*it's OK to open your eyes now*

 
Blogger Susie said...

We're just tryin' to be friendly, come and watch us sing and play, 'cause we're the young generation, and we've got something to say! Oh, sierrbella, they don't write 'em like that anymore. Davy was a cutie. I saw him on TV within the last 5 years, and he is still cute.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! How could I forget about Davy Jones?! I was going to marry him, too.

Susie -- "Look at it! It's a force to be reckoned with. The worst thing you can do is try to ignore it!" -- LOL! Thank you for that! I now have a new conversation for our household! :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

CK, I wanted John Travolta to go to my senior prom with me, but I was too shy to ask him. Not that I ever met him, you know, I would have written a fan letter kind of thing.
I have to find that SNL tape. It is so funny. "George" went ON and ON about his own butt. "Look at it! Look at it before it destroys you!!!"
(Oh, don't feel sorry that I never hooked up with JT. I had a very nice prom date. Kevin Bowers. Hey, Kevin! Wherever you are. I had fun at the prom!)

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Susie, THIRTY-THREE comments??? Is this where the party is now? You're going to start rivalling Dooce before long...

 
Blogger Susie said...

you know, andrea, I wish I had a "party room" like dooce does, so everyone could talk to each other more easily. That's the only thing I sort of covet about dooce.com. This is a lot of comments for me, but you gotta keep in mind, I TALK BACK, so a good 3rd of them are probably from moi. I love to get comments, but I really would not want so many that I couldn't participate. I sort of see Heather as hosting a great party, but not getting to spend time with her guests. I think that's kind of sad. I like this MUCH better. (And I'm quite sure that dooce likes what she has much better; dif'rent strokes:) )

 
Blogger Ern said...

Susie: the new Dooce? Now that's high praise! And 36 comments! I think well deserved. I am not jumping into the topic of the day though.

 
Blogger Susie said...

no, no ern, I have neither the skillz nor the aspiration for such a lofty goal. I just have a handful of lovely people who like to shoot the breeze with me sometimes. PLUS, as I told andrea, I TALK TO MYSELF.

 
Blogger Susie said...

summer, summer, summer. at least you have good taste in shoes;)

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Hey Butterstar, I can relate. Yesterday, my brother tried to tell me that Ricky Martins' behind is really just a prosthetic butt that he puts in his pants and hes thinking about getting buttcheek implants! Brothers are really mean and I dont believe him. I can get past the gay thing but the butt thing is just too much to bear.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, Dashababy, invoking the butt of Ricky Martin. You tell your brother that you can't shake prosthetics like that, even with tight leather pants. Ricky has one hell of a teasing ass, doesn't he? That would have been a great SNL skit - George v. Ricky Butt Shake Off. I can close my eyes and just imagine it. ...

(As they try to hip check each other out of the camera's view.)
George: "Look at my butt!"
Ricky:"No, mira a MI culo!"

[confession - mister mrtl helped with that - didn't tell him what I'm doing - heehee]

 
Blogger Susie said...

dashababy and mrtl, thank you for the touch of class that you bring to this discussion. Buttcheek implants and how to say, "Look at my butt" in Spanish. I am so PROUD of the caliber of my commenters!

 
Blogger Joseph said...

OMG!!! 42 Comments!!! Damn woman, no one gets 42 comments. You the shizola now gurl!

 
Blogger Susie said...

hey, greenie, I know. I don't get it. I mean, it's really fun and all, but I don't know...maybe during the great blogger coma, mine was the only site that would let comments thru? Shizola, huh? I think that was the name of the lunch lady in my high school;) I hope you're getting better, sweetie. Bronchitis sucks, I know.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Ricky Martin is *gay*??? //weeping

Next you're going to tell me that Brad Pitt is gay. Or Johnny Depp. Or George Clooney (please, God, no...)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home