header image

Monday, October 03, 2005

Harvest Festival

On Saturday we went to a Fall Harvest Festival, and did fally things. My cheeky monkey got a monkey on her cheeky:




I liked this little girl's T-shirt:



White is the new orange . . .




And although I haven't made these yet this year, this is probably as good a time as any to share with you . . .


You don't so much "make" these as "assemble" them, and when you do, adults and children alike will think you are oh-so-clever:

Take Keebler Fudge Stripe Cookies, Hershey's Kisses and orange frosting from a tube or aerosol can. You can get orange frosting right now, if you hurry, before other Halloween-minded cookie makers grab it all.

Simply smear frosting on the bottom of the Kiss to "glue" it on the cookie (an excellent job for little helpers), then press it on the chocolate side of the cookie. Next, using one of the fancy plastic tips you get with the frosting, wrap an orange frosting ribbon around the kiss, and "draw" a bow. After a few practices, you'll be "tying" frosting bows like a pro. Enjoy :)

28 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! And oh-so-cute! Last year we made pilgrim hats that were similar--upside down Reese's cups on top of the cookie, with a yellow frosting band and buckle.

LG has beautiful eyelashes.

 
Blogger MrsDoF said...

That t-shirt is so smart and cute!

 
Blogger Dawn said...

ha, cool. i so have to make those hats. i love that pumpkin-very unique.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh. My. That's a beautiful little "cheeky monkey"! How could anyone say no to eyes like that? Wow!!! And those cookie hats are darling, too. I'm on it!!

 
Blogger Candy said...

BUCKY YOU DONT SAY NOTHING BOUT THAT GIRLS MONKEY!!!


Ok, now, she is adorable and I am so going to make those witch hat cookies for my sons halloween bday party, along with the brain jello.

 
Blogger Susie said...

sharkey, I love the pilgrim hat idea! Any excuse to use Reese's cups is a good thing. LG has been, from birth, all cheeks and eyelashes; thank you :)

mrsDoF, I loved it, too!

blogaholic, enjoy your witch hats :)

eclectic, thank you. Your kids will love the witch hats.

JR, I thought you'd go for the hats. Brain jello . . .

mrtl, people say the eyes are the same; the rest of her face is from Daddy's side. I agree, these cookies are yummy, festive and EASY.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Jess, I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that you would think I would say a word about the cheeky monkey.

*head quietly explodes*

At LG's age, a monkey is just a monkey. And a cheeky monkey is just plain cute.

However, if she is still having monkeys painted on her cheeks at the age of 25, all bets are off and I will not muzzle myself.

cndiskt - rhymes with Biscuit

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Beautiful eyes.

Can you use Cheeze Whiz for the bows? Or Easy Cheese in the aerosol can?

 
Blogger Amy said...

I am totally all over these cookies. I may have to import the Keebler cookies across the border because I don't think I have seen them up here, but the witches hats ARE getting made. Too cute.

Adorable face painting! I hate when the face painters are like, not talented and my kids just look kinda dirty in the face. That monkey is great.

 
Blogger August95 said...

Great T-shirt and oh the great white pumpkin is very scary. I love the witch hats.

 
Blogger Weetzie said...

Thanks for the cookie idea! It looks like mucho fun!!

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

LG has beautiful eyes!

Wish I'd seen the witch hat cookies yesterday when the grandson was here!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That looks like fun. I missed two fall festivals around here last weekend. I must get to the one next weekend.

 
Blogger Echrai said...

Oh my god. You had to post this right before I go to the grocery store. Just GUESS what I'll be picking up tonight. :) And we don't even have any kids around here. *cackle* well, okay, my roommates do, but their daughter is.. uh.. 8 months old.

 
Blogger SassyFemme said...

Love the cookie idea! I'll have to try that for a meeting I need to provide snacks for!

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

I am soooo gunna make those witch-hat cookies! how ultra clevah!

 
Blogger Squirl said...

LG is sooo cute. And those cookies look delicious.

 
Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

Them cookies look mighty fine but the bluebirds make me crave some buffalo style wings with a tub of artery clogging ranch sauce next to 'em.

mmmmmm....artery clogging ranch sauce...

dc

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Those witchy hats look deeeelicious!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Susie! I'm making those cookies with my grandsons. One kiss for the hat, and two for me. One for the hat, and three . . .

Sigh. My hershey's kiss addiction is rearing its ugly head.

gina
http://findingmygroove.blog-city.com

 
Blogger Susie said...

HEY EVERYONE, SEND ME A PICTURE IF YOU MAKE THE WITCH HATS!

bucky, maybe now you'll understand why, around these parts, a monkey is a lovable primate; LG loves monkeys == monkey socks, monkey stickers, monkey chair, monkey shirts . . .

william, I only use Cheez Whiz! as an expletive these days, ever since Circus Kelli and I were sued by Dang Cold when we got Cheez Whiz all over his couch . . .

amy, I thought the Keebler elves were everywhere! Any largish, round chocolate cookie will do. And yes, that girl, a teen, did a fine job on the monkey. I know what you mean, bad face painters are a big disappointment.

august, thanks. The white pumpkin now sits on our porch :)

weetzie, they are fun to make; truly more fun than tasty, but you can't go too wrong with Hershey Kisses as the featured ingredient :)

sierrabella, you'll see him again before Halloween, I hope? That would be a fun thing to do with him :) And thank you.

SSNick, I hope you get to one! Fall is my favorite, I try to get to one pumpkin carving/hayride kind of thing every year :)

echrai, not for 8 month olds! I do find that adults like them a lot, mostly because they make people who don't think they're very clever with such things, think, "Hey, I could do that!"

sassyfemme, yes! See comment to echrai :)

annejelynn, good! I'm glad you like the idea :)

squirl, thank you, and yes, chocolate and shortbread is pretty tasty :)

dang, you just STOP eating bluebird wings RIGHT NOW!

demented craver! (and see my comment to William ;)

kranki, I must say, they don't hold a candle to your chocolate cookie recipe ;)

gina, oh, I should have posted a warning, I hate to contribute to anyone's relapse! Enjoy :)

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

There are MONKEY SOCKS?

*begins shopping immediately*

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that witch hat cookie idea! "I could do that!" I'll have to do that with the girls, they'll LOVE it. Of course, half the kisses may disappear if I don't keep an eye on Sweet Pea... she has her Momma's sweet tooth. :)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

these cookies are pure genius. you are wonderful for sharing!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

these cookies are pure genius. you are wonderful for sharing!

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Very clever, Susie.

 
Blogger Susie said...

bucky, chill, little sister, I'll hook you up :)

CK, you could TOTALLY do that! My kid got my sweet tooth, too :)

lauren, I'm sure your guys will enjoy them!

hoss, thank you, I must say, I swiped the idea . . . I think it was from Andrew's mother in pre-school . . . and I didn't make them until we moved to a different school, but now they are a signature holiday treat of ours :)

 
Blogger The Q said...

I'm going to steal your cookie recipe and make them this weekend for my Brother, SIL and Nephew. They're coming over on Sunday with my Niece (who is too young to eat them, but we'll show her pictures when she's older, letting her know what she missed out on)
Thank you for sharing this tradition of yours with all of us!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home