header image

Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Lord Did WHAT?

Our pastor is away on vacation, and when she's not around, some things just don't get done. For example, a thorough proofreading of the bulletin for the Sunday worship service. Jif and I got the "church giggles" when we noticed the following:

This is from today's actual bulletin; note Hymn #362 (I have added the asterisks):





THIS is from our hymnal, the actual song that we were to sing:



Well, now, that's different, wouldn't you say?

22 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Maven said...

That's not even a typo!

 
Blogger Susie said...

momo, Funny, I didn't hear anyone else laugh, or mention it. Either they don't read the bulletin, or the Lord has made them cry, so they had no problem with it!

maven, I KNOW! Must be a Freudian thing for the church secretary, or something . . .

mrtl, the Lord ain't like that!

 
Blogger kris said...

Oh yeah. This gave me the heartiest laugh I've had all week. ;)

 
Blogger Candy said...

Hmm I was wondering for a minute there, I didn't know the Lord was a bully.



Thanks for setting us straight on that.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

All I got to say is, if he's gonna make you cry, he'd better send flowers later.

 
Blogger Susie said...

kris, welcome, and I'm happy to give you a laugh :)

JR, yes, don't forget; He HEARS our cries, not MAKES us cry.

bucky, well, DUH, it's the LORD. He sends ALL the flowers :p

 
Blogger Dawn said...

LOL that's funny. anybody else pick up on it? thank you for the laugh, i really needed it.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

That's what happens when you type absentmindedly. :-)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha--at first I thought this was going to be one of those church bulletin email chains. But you actually have the evidence to prove it!

Also, now I'm going to have God of Grace and God of Glory going through my head all night. And those are the only words I know--then it's just humming the tune. Thanks a lot! :)

 
Blogger Andrea said...

I love that your church explains which wording of the Lord's Prayer to expect; when I was growing up, our American Baptist church also used "debts and debtors" (though now has changed to "sins and those who have sinned against us") and if I was sitting near a visitor, I could always tell because they would say "trespasses". Now they also put a hint in the bulletin.

My current church doesn't regularly do the Lord's Prayer. Not a very liturgical church at all. One of the things I miss about my old denomination (that and the Doxology). I could totally be Catholic just for the liturgy :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

blogaholic, my pleasure, giving you a laugh. I didn't hear anyone else mention it, but it cracked us up!

squirl, I guess that's it; she must have been swamped, with the pastor away, too. Maybe the Lord DID make her cry!

sharkey, that might be one of the nicest things that's gotten stuck in someone's head after visiting here!

andrea, I prefer the "sins and those who've sinned ..." The "debt" thing has too specific a $$ connotation in our culture, even tho that's not at all what it means in the prayer. I like a bit of liturgy, but Roman Catholic would be too much for my taste. I know some people do take great comfort in it, though.

 
Blogger Ern said...

Church giggles! They can be so overpowering!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So wrong ... but so funny!

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

My verification word is oaqley.
Makes me think of overpriced sunglasses.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hilarious....made me laugh ;-)

 
Blogger Random and Odd said...

*quiet giggling*

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

*snicker*

And, umm...my secret word is, umm...

sexzk

Teehee.

 
Blogger Nina said...

LOL, Well hopefully everyone sang from the hymnal and not the bulletin. I wonder if you and Jif were the only ones to notice? Or if others had the "church giggles."

Word verification: mremflb

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"Onward Christian Solders, I'm to solder whar?"

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I am pretty sure God is laughing too.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I enjoyed this post.

I have nothing witty to say.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Ditto.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home