header image

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

But Your Call IS Important to Us, and We WILL Call You Back

I am working day and night, except for a couple of hours in the evening to pick up my kid and hear about her day. I have to figure out a better schedule, because this one is interfering with my blogging. Until I can grab some time to write something fresh, I thought I'd share with you something that tickled me today. I had to call one of my graduate student interns at her home, and was surprised and amused to hear this on her outgoing answering machine message:

Hello, you've reached the Mental Health Clinic.

*If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

*If you have Dependent Personality Disorder, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

*If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

*If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want.
Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

*If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred to the mother ship.

*If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.

*If you are a Borderline Personality, it doesn't matter which number you press, no one will answer.

*If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969696.

*If you have ADHD, please fidget with the keys until a representative
comes on the line.

*If you have amnesia, press 8 and state your name, address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number, and your mother's maiden name.

*If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, s-l-o-w-l-y and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y press 0 0 0.

*If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep, or before the beep, or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

*If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

*If you have low self-esteem, please hang up. All operators are too busy to talk to you.

20 heads are better than one . . .

• Blogger August95 said...

FIRST! Ha

Very funny Susie. I agree, it is important to make your life work with blogging lol. Have a great evening.

 
• Blogger Andrea said...

Hee! I think I've seen that around in e-mails, but never heard of anyone using it as their actual outgoing message. Seems amusingly appropriate for her. I would be the one pressing 1 repeatedly SINCE I NEVER GET WHO I WANT BY PRESSING IT JUST ONCE ANYWAY!

atind

 
• Blogger Joseph said...

FOURTH! HA

I love that one. It's one of my favorites.

I love you too. You're DEFINITELY one of my favorites.

 
• Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

How come there's no button for the anally fixated?

I'm just askin', you know, for a friend.

 
• Blogger WILLIAM said...

Anger managemnet issues just smash all the buttons?

 
• Blogger Susie said...

august95, yea, I really need to get my priorities straight!

andrea, Like you, I think I've seen it, but it tickled me that a mental health counselor would actually use it. I hope none of her clients ever call her at home!

mrtl, thanks. Hi, Frida!

greenie, welcome, my long lost brutha :)

bucky, if you're anally fixated, stick your finger up BEEEEEEEEEP

william, good one! They left that one out :)

 
• Blogger Effie said...

Teehee--I've heard some of them, but I forgot this one:
"if you have short term memory loss press 9 if you have short term memory loss press 9 if you have short term memory loss press 9"
hahaha

 
• Blogger Unknown said...

Nite message! Nite one!

I love the "paranoid" one.

I really hate it when work interferes with my blogging.

 
• Blogger LadyBug said...

That is hi-freakin'-larious.

 
• Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great! I've never seen any of them, so I seem to be the first virgin here.

 
• Blogger Nina said...

I didn't think anyone actually used it. It would have been hard for me to leave a message, because I would have been laughing.

Hearing about LG's day is, as you know priceless . . .

 
• Blogger c said...

How about: "If you're depressed, just sigh loudly and an operator will be with you shortly."

 
• Blogger Ern said...

So how many times did you have to call her house in order to get it all transcribed?

Very funny!

 
• Blogger Squirl said...

That was good. My work schedule hasn't been as bad as yours, but it's been busy enough to mess with my blogging.

Just can't have that!

 
• Blogger Kranki said...

That is really too funny. I am taking it that no clients ever call that number for reals.

 
• Blogger Candy said...

Thats pretty good, I have had some weird answering machine messages but that one out does anything I ever had.


And Bucky, What about the orally fixated? You cant just leave us out.

 
• Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

And, finally:

"If you want to leave a message, you probably have forgotten what it was."

 
• Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Jess, sorry - I did not mean to give all the attention to the ass freaks and leave the orally obsessed out in the cold.

I hereby take the attention off my ass and put the attention squarely on your mouth.

Um, that didn't sound as magnanimous as I'd at first intended...nothin' to see here, people.

 
• Blogger Susie said...

effie, of course you forgot that one -- clearly you have short-term memory issues ;)

CK, hi! I hope I don't have to quit work so I can blog full-time :p

ladybug, it did tickle me. Hope your FIL is OK, and home soon.

lawbrat, you may well be the first virgin here . . . let me think on that . . .

nina, I know, it took me a few moments to get my mind around that . . . yep, while LG is still willing to talk, I am making the time available :)

misfit, if a suicidal person called, it would be too late by the time they got to the end!

ern, good question! Actually, I went looking for it online, found it and changed a couple of the responses I found to match what I remembered her machine saying.

squirl, yea, I need to adjust to my schedule AND I need to adjust it; it really isn't working, not just for blogging, but for my sanity.

kranki, I surely hope not, but I think I will mention that to her -- better safe than sorry.

JR, I probably can't imagine some of yours. Bucky has an offer that you might be able to refuse :0

hoss, that is certainly a risk; it took me a moment to remember what I wanted to say!

bucky, yea, um, get a room :0

 
• Blogger Annejelynn said...

I have a droning-voice audio version of that...came through some email fwd. was hilarious

 


Post a Comment

<< Home