10 Things About Me #2
11. I am the sixth of seven children, and the only girl.
12. My father was a house-moving contractor. He picked up huge houses and moved them to other locations. He eventually was recognized as a specialist in moving highly-valued historic buildings to new locations. I always thought that was pretty cool.
13. My first date with Jif was a triple-date, with two other couples. We went to a Chinese restaurant, then to a Three Stooges midnight movie marathon.
14. Jif used to date my freshman hall counselor in college. I met him when he came up on our hall to see her. Our first activity together was that same night, vandalizing the photographs of all the girls on the hall, that had been posted on the wall so everyone could get to know one another. (Actually, that's not true; they were posted on the wall so that upperclassmen could come and "shop" for cute girls; that is why I felt it appropriate to vandalize them.) We drew mustaches, eyepatches, cigars, blackened teeth, etc., and we laughed.
15. Jif said that for him, it was "love at first sight." His first sight of me was from behind. I had waist-length brown hair with spectacular natural highlights (now graylights). Years later, when my hair was short, I wondered if he still liked it as much. He said it didn't matter to him at all if my hair were long, short, colored, whatever. I reminded him of the "love at first sight" thing. Turns out it wasn't my hair that he fell for. Now there's a lot more of me to love.
16. I love rocks. I collect them. Haphazardly and without scholarship, i.e., I don't know what type they are, for the most part. When friends and family travel to exotic places and ask what they can bring me, I tell them "rocks." I like their strength, their permanence, their history.
17. Last year at the church yard sale, I found a book that I have tried to find for over 20 years. It is a favorite book from childhood, called Beautiful Joe, about an abused dog who was rescued.
"I can't believe it! I found Beautiful Joe!"
18. I had a colonoscopy last summer. I have photographs of the process. I have considered copying them in black and white, framing them and hanging them, perhaps upside-down or sideways, on my walls, to see if anyone would know what they are. What is the proper thing to do with photos like that? An album? Flick'r? There are so many things I just don't know . . .
19. One time I told a gynecologist's nurse that I expected the doc to take off his pants before he came in to see me. (Yea, I'll have to blog that one.)
20. I recently "called out" a troll on someone else's blog. I had had enough of the nastiness, and when I saw someone trashing a very nice guy, I said, "Hey, Anon, how 'bout you come see me?" And I believe they came, because my stats said there was a direct link right from the guy's blog to the post I invited them to; but they didn't comment. Hell, for all I know, it was the guy's wife or mom trolling him.
file under: &About Me