header image

Monday, April 25, 2005

Every Story Tells a Story

After the shocking content of last week's post, I thought I'd better simma down a bit and offer something of some redeeming social value. I love stories -- I love to read them, hear them, tell them, use them in my work. This is just a short one, but I truly love it. I clipped it out of my church newsletter, laminated it and put it up on my fridge. I read it often. The woman in this story is my super-hero; she's whom I'd like to be if I ever grow up.

The Woman and The Stone

A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation. The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime. But a few days later he came back to return the stone to the wise woman.

"I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable the stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone."

****
(BTW, tomorrow we return to completely socially unredeeming, shocking content.)

35 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger lawbrat said...

That is beautiful! Very socially redeeming. I think you already have that Susie. Your truly a giving person. I dont know you personally, but I do know enough to know you already possess that wonderful quality.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Yes, a wise person knows that true riches don't reside in the physical. Doesn't stop me from wanting stuff, though. Guess I'm not a wise woman. Great story.

 
Blogger Susie said...

lawbrat, as always, you give me too much credit. I have my moments, as we all do, but I'm not quite "there" yet;)

squirl, your comment reminds me of a Veggie Tales song that I've quoted here before: "Happiness waits at the Stuff-Mart; all we need is lots more stuff!" We all go there sometimes. You are, too, a wise woman. (Some would even say brainy. ohdearlord, make it stop...)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, I needed to hear/read that. Thank you.

 
Blogger Cat said...

Soooooo, that new iPod WON'T make me happy? Really?! 'Scuse me... (rushes off to find receipt)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved that story, Susie. And that picture of you as a child? Oh my, LG looks EXACTLY like you, doesn't she? Beautiful, both.

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Life is such a balancing act of give and take. Some give willing enough, but too much can leave you feeling unfulfilled. It is equally important to be able to receive graciously and accept it with the knowledge or sense of how it was given and be able to grow or be healed by that experience.

I believe that's what many of us truly get from here. You should feel very good about what you are achieving with this blog. You seem to be able to balance your spiritual values with your 'socially unredeeming' moments, allowing people to feel connected on an equal plain.

Your beauty and warmth always come thru and your charms and humor round you out with just the right amount of seasoning to make you irrisistible. Never stop being you.


Cat...the iPod will make you very happy...I LOVE MY IPOD!!!

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, not all who have brainy ideas are wise. lol

 
Blogger Susie said...

Before I go off to the Stuff-Mart...

ck, I'm not sure why you needed this today, but I'm glad I had something for you. I know when we first moved, I was all about, "we need this and we need that," all about wish lists. I WISH I could say that's no longer true. But I'm learning to be patient, and especially, to be THANKFUL. The fact is, while there are a lot of things I WANT, there's absolutely nothing else I need. Probably true for you, too:)

cat, your comment made me chuckle. And think about all the receipts I probably should have saved, after a couple of sessions of "retail therapy."

ladybug, THANK YOU. Glad you liked the story. I haven't been able to tell where it came from, just "anonymous." HEY! It just occurred to me, sometimes "Anonymous" says great things, not just trollish things!

greenie, you are so special. Thank you for making me feel special. I LOVE doing this; probably even too much. But I often think I don't really belong. Thank you for making that go away today.

So you made me cry just a little, then I read your comment to cat, and I cackled! Yo, yo, keepin' it real, greenie:)

squirl, you show-off. Don't come over here quoting Shakespeare;)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, doll, the only thing I really need is peace of mind.
Love you.

 
Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

Yet another sweet tale from one of my favourite people in blog land. Its a nice way to start the week.

Thanks Susie,

Much love, dc

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie, that story was lovely and enlightening and touching and brought a tear to my eye and all that, but would you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE resume the completely socially unredeeming and shocking content? It's Monday for fuck's sake! ;-)

 
Blogger Susie said...

summer, CK, and delinquent child,
You are my peeps, my blog homies (and lovely, eloquent Summer, if you find that language objectionable, well, that makes me smile, too;)

little sister, I know your type. You are a troublemaker. OK, I have one more story in mind that good taste would dictate I not tell in this forum. Sooooo I'M TELLIN' IT tomorrow!!!! Because I hope it'll make the other kids laugh!! (And if you ever tell my daughter I said that, I'll deny it. Making the other kids laugh is NO REASON to act like a damn fool!)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Making the other kids laugh is NO REASON to act like a damn fool!)

What? Seriously? Oh man...

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and Greenthumb -- You are truly a lovely-hearted individual.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a GREAT story. I'm going to remember it and use it if you don't mind.

Thanks Susie!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been open to various religions thank goodness, because my son has become a Hindu devotee.
He uses the words God and Krishna interchangibly.
Homeless people are found quite often at the temple, and one needed a coat for warmth.
Son gave the man his only sweatshirt, knowing God/Krishna would provide.
Several weeks later, during a cold spell, son went to the donations box looking for something warm. There was his sweatshirt!
Absolutely true story. It happened last winter.

SierraBella

 
Blogger mary bishop said...

Great story and photo...my mother used to cut my bangs in the same manner..!

Wrote a long response but my computer blew up and shut off..guess my comments didn't stick cuz I don't see them.

I can't blame blogger for this one.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Another cool story from "What was I thinking.." I like the way you think.

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Chicken Poop for the Soul. Bring on the socially unredeeming, shocking content and leave the feelgood, "those were the times I carried you", "... and I know because that little girl was me", "so hug a friend today" stories for those frigging forwarded e-mails. Raunch, baby. That's what I'm talkin' about.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, Susie. I've been gathering my fair share of stones recently. Wonder if I'd be able to give them away without hesitation. I sure hope so.

 
Blogger Susie said...

CK, I can just hear me saying that to my kid, someday, while trying not to let her know that I'm laughing, too!
My brother, greenie, is a most excellent human.

laurenbove, you are most welcome to that story, I'm delighted that you want to make use of it. I am a very good sharer, even though I did not attend kindergarten.

SierraBella, thank you, that is a beautiful story. Sounds like your son has a very kind heart, which is contagious:)

MB, I guess that 'do was the height of fashion(?). That was in the early 60s. You probably got it when it came back around for its encore.

William, thank you. YOU are a gentleman and a scholar, unlike the next commenter...

...nilbo! Take your meds and chill. THIS is a respectable establishment. This is not a place to discuss "Chicken Poop." THAT is two blogs down and to the left, mister. Now you're welcome to stay, but you must show a little decorum, a little class, for goodness' sake. There will be a tasteless, probably inappropriate post tomorrow. TODAY has been inspirational. Sheesh. My daughter's 3rd grade class is doing a poetry unit, and tonight she's working on limericks. Your impertinence offended me so much that I was going to write you a limerick, however, I would have had to use the word "dildo," and you would have liked that just a lit-tle too much, now wouldn't you? So NO! No limerick for you!

 
Blogger Susie said...

julie, I can tell already that you're a good sharer, too;) Welcome home from your journey.

 
Blogger Susie said...

btw, julie, and I probably shoulda put this on your site, but, I'll be darned if I can make heads or tails of Brando's Saturday post. Can you send me the Cliff notes, or a clue or somethin'? Sometimes I'm right on top of his writing, sometimes I can just grab a thread and pull something out of it, but this time, I got nothin'. Am I just hopelessly old and uncool?

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Being a somewhat retired hairdresser, I have seen atrocities like this done to chilrens bangs, sometimes by themselves but mostly by parents. I too was victimized as a child.
You are still adorable anyway and your daughter looks like your clone.
As for the comment earlier on requesting "rauchy" posts, I have yet to see anything here that resembles raunchy. There are plenty of those out there, thats for sure. I like the feel good stuff, an encouraging word here and there is very much appreciated.
I have to say tho, whenever I hear of an eclipse, I think of your butt.
Not that I really think its large enough to block out the sun but, these little tidbits get stuck in my head and make me think of you and laugh.
Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

 
Blogger Susie said...

hey, dashababymama, I hope you don't mind me playing with your name. I think Nilbo is jonesin' for the dooceville raunch. Poor thing. I suppose I have always wanted some measure of fame, deep down inside, but I've never actively pursued it. Now, I am famous for my sunblocking ass. It is not exactly what I dreamed of, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts;) YOU are very welcome, and thanks for visiting me. Always happy to see you.

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

I don't want Doocey raunch ... I want Susie raunch ...

I apologize to all those whose souls were fed by the inspirational story. I don't mean to appear cold, cynical, and without sentiment. I'm not. I'm crunchy on the outside, but have a soft interior.

But I do love me the slap-ass ...

 
Blogger dashababy said...

awww, hey, I didnt mean to make ya feel bad. I love a little raunch too now and again. And I know how sometimes when we post comments, its not taken exactly the way we meant.
Just as I thought about what I posted after the fact. I thought "oh I hope nilbo doesnt think Im comin down on him/her". I just never seen any raunch here, unless I missed it. Darn.

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Susie, I forgot to say: I love the Dashababymama name cuz I am her mama. At least she thinks so.

 
Blogger Susie said...

nilbo and dashababymama, it's all good, kids. I'm sure no one was offended. Just playin'. My scolding of Nilbo was tongue-in-cheek. And yes, Nilbo, Merry Christmas, do what you will with "tongue-in-cheek."

I prefer "slightly naughty" to "raunchy." But that's just me.

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

I don't need ya to tee 'em up for me, darlin' ... make it too easy, you spoil the fun.

I wasn't offended ... you know, until dashbabymama started talking about going down on me. It was very upsetting. I'm not that kind of guy.

 
Blogger Susie said...

nilbo, perhaps not, but dashababymama thought you might be that kind of girl. Hey, did Roxy BITE you yet?

Goodnight, all:)

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Nilbo, if you want to see some poop post, have you seen my blog in the last week or so? April 20, to be exact, was a pretty poopy day...

 
Blogger Susie said...

andrea, a most excellent suggestion!

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

I saw that the day you posted it, Andrea. Gross. Disgusting. Thank you.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home