header image

Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Little Something Different

I got nothin'. I could come up with just any old picture, and quote, and scripture. But believe it or not, every Sunday Post I've ever done has had some inspiration, some actual meaning for me on that day, at that time. Today, I got nothin'. I am sick, and sad, and weary. There's the health thing, there are family things, there are friend things . . . blech. I do remain thankful; I know my blessings far outweigh my troubles . . . I'm just in that dark, rainy place.

If I knew how, I would show you a picture of how the hyacinths on my kitchen table smell, or how the rain on my roof sounds. I'm not a good enough photographer to convey those things in a picture, or a good enough writer to share them in words. But they're good, and hopeful, so I'd share them with you if I could.

My arms won't stay happy enough to reply to comments the way I like to. But I will say to Andrea and Peaches, from last Sunday, it is never too late to say, "He is risen, indeed." OK, that reminds me of a story. I just did a quick search to see if I've told it here before, but looks like I haven't. If I have, please forgive.

A few years ago, I saw a client, Gail, the week after Easter. She came in very upset, angry, tearful, and began to complain about her son, a college student.

"He RUINED Easter!" she accused, repeatedly. When I got her calmed down enough to explain the ruination of Easter, she told a story of how her boy, who was at a church-affiliated school, had gotten a ride home for Easter break with their parish priest, who happened to be visiting at the college. Gail was one who nearly worshiped the priest, and his opinion of both her and her family was of tremendous importance. When the priest picked up young Joshua, young Joshua was thoroughly hung over. And as such people sometimes do on long car trips, he puked all over the priest's car.

After telling the story in great detail, Gail resumed her lament, "He RUINED Easter." I should try to come up with some nice words for how I felt about this, since this is the Lord's day, and since we're talking about Easter, but the truth is, she was pissing me off. I gently challenged her thinking.

Knowing that Gail was a professing Christian (she professed all over the place, at the drop of a hat), I asked her, "What does Easter mean to you?"

"What?"

"What is the significance of Easter to you? What does it mean?"

She thought for a few minutes and said something like, "It means reconciliation. It means a new beginning, it's a way for our sins to be forgiven, a way to approach God . . . "

"OK, so that's Easter. Now maybe I'm missing something, but help me understand how Joshua puking in the priest's car ruins Easter."

Gail was quiet for a moment and then she smiled a tiny smile. "Easter can't be ruined," she said.

Yes! "That's right. It's a done deal. The tomb is still empty, every single morning when we get up. There's nothing you, or I, or Joshua or the priest, can ever do, to make that not be so."

So there. As always with these Sunday Posts, I'm preaching first to myself. I will be doing my darnedest to thoroughly immerse myself today in what I believe to be that truth: Easter (reconciliation, new beginning, forgiveness, a way to get back to God) is every day.

Happy Easter, friends.

Oh, and I need to let you know this, if you don't already. My friend Little Sister is beginning treatment this week for cervical cancer. If you don't know her, go read a little bit. She doesn't post much, because she is terribly busy changing the world most of the time. She's feisty, opinionated, smart, funny, sexy and just generally kicks ass. So she needs to get well and get back to what she does best, because there is a lot of ass-kicking to do in this world. Please join me in praying for her quick and complete return to health.

17 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Pebble Princess said...

Good morning Susie,

Great story-- made me cry with appreciation and conviction of how we compare the little incidents in our life with the overwhelming sacrifice God made on the cross. Children break our hearts, scare us to death, thumb their nose at the things we revere. But God is so much bigger. Thanks for the perspective check.

Brave you for enduring the EMG. I thank God for the outcome. Still praying for WTF to leave quietly. Here's to Little Sister's fight, too.

Love, Sally

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Sunday, Susie.

There are many days when YOU are my inspiration, whether it be for the day or for the moment, you're it.

I pray for you and think of you every day. Love you bunches.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*wonders if the puke tarnished the tag that says "Priest" that affords them all the best parking at weddings and funerals*

 
Blogger Squirl said...

I love how your story puts things in perspective. We all have a petty side that just needs a bit of distance and different angle at times.

I hope all of your situations are getting better. You must be kind of tired of trying to distance yourself when everything is so "in your face".

If our love could heal you, I think you'd be out dancing these days. But, I can't help but think that maybe we can, at least, afford you an occasional smile.

Love you, Happy Sunday, sis!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got....'Sunshine on a rainy day...' that sunshine is from you, really.

I hope your rainy day turns to a sunny day. Take care! :-)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie,
I just sent you an email, BEFORE coming here. Wow! When you read it, you will understand.

I can smell the hyacinths, they are my favorite and I can smell them anywhere. Walk into a place and know there are hyacinths somewhere. I can smell them now.

You know what? I expect- when my kids go off to college- they will have a hung over morning or two. We talk about drinking, and if they are EVER in a situation where there is a vehicle involved, they can call home at any time for a ride, without consequences- until they wake up to loud music and a day full of chores to do.

I know lil sis. We've emailed, but I haven't been to her blog lately. She is in my prayers and also will be added to the church list.

I understand about the arms. Mine are killing me now. Have been since about 3 weeks after my surgery in Nov. Any movement, even this typing, picking up a cup of water, anything involving my arms. But, there are a few things I need to do on my computer, and I'll just try to not cry through it.

Love,
Peaches

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked that story, as I do all of your stories. Isn't it so true that we get all hung up about how someone has "ruined" and event when we ourselves have lost sight of what that event really means. And perhaps what it really takes to "ruin" something.

Hope you are having a great weekend, Susie. xxx

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed some straitin' up and perspective today, thank you for that Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that it doesn't really matter what you say so much as that you have said something. You inspire me with every post you write. Now I'm off to visit Little Sister and send her some blove. Happy Sunday, as always.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, ummm, I mean good afternoon Susie. As usual your post has touched me this morning. Thanks. Peace.

 
Blogger Opera Gal said...

is there an ass-kicking posse I can join?

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! So you came up with something after all...you planned it that way, I think...gettin' all poetic about how it is to feel no inspiration, and we don't yet have the ability to put up pix with scent (okay, if it's smell-blogging, wouldn't that be smogging? hehehe).

Then....BAM!! You shared another moral of a very interesting, well written acecdote of something upon which we all have good reason to reflect. It gives me the idea that perhaps the next few weeks of chemo and radiation are a new beginning for me ins some way. (See how much you've done for me!)

Now if only you were capable of sharing antidotes ;)

and thanks for the shout out and to the others who followed the link and left me comments!!! You're right: I've got to get better 'cuz I've got a ton of world-rockin', ass-kickin' stuff to do!

If only I could I could reach over the distance and hug you back.

*hugs*
lil sis

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Susie,

It has been a few posts since I have commented but I wanted to let you know that I am still reading and checking in, praying and keeping you in my thoughts. I have been busy as you know.

You are right about Easter not being ruined. Awesome story.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, I appreciate this "different" Sunday post. Of course, I found it not so different because even without a picture, meaningful quote, and Scripture text, it is as meaningful as all of your Sunday posts.

You remain in my prayers, as does Little Sister.

Blessings & much shalom.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

For somebody who has "got nothin'" you seem to have come up with somethin' quite amazing. It really is all about perspective, isn't it? As always, you rock!

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Dangit, Susie, I missed a bunch of posts here! And your PEE JUG!

ALF will have to dine on cats elsewhere in the universe, 'cause he's not at your house.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Um, it's still Sunday SOMEWHERE in the world, isn't it?? Danggit, I'm a day late - but it's for a good reason, REALLY! And anyway, I can't really ruin Sunday afterall, can I?

(But broken sprinkler lines that flood the neighbor's yard? Those can ruin a perfectly good weekend to relax. I speak from experience, and fatigue.)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home