header image

Sunday, February 04, 2007

stoneheart1

Sunday Post ~ "My faith demands -- this is not optional -- my faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference." -- Jimmy Carter

Isaiah 55:1-13

file under: &Sunday Post

19 heads are better than one . . .

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obliged to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

- From the Talmud

Susie's Sunday Post...a great way to start the day. I'm grateful.

 
Blogger Susie said...

htgt, and I am grateful to you for this beautiful passage. I know the Micah 6:8 verse, to which it's clearly related. But I love the amplification: not obliged to complete, but not free to abandon. Amen, indeed :)

 
Blogger Nina said...

I think you live your life that way. Making a difference in all that you do.
Happy Sunday!!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely quote, Susie. Not one I'd heard before but really very good. Happy Sunday, honey, and I'll see you at the party tomorrow.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, you do live your life like this. Thank you for reminding us to do the same thing.

Happy Sunday, Sis!

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Broken glass although broken is still beautiful.

I happened to see in the bibla passage the name Myrtle. Strange.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

"my faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have ..."

Thank GAWD Jimmy's faith was specific!! He might have turned into a ...a...PEANUT farmer had he not chosen the right path!!

 
Blogger Arlene said...

Very pretty, and I love it!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

This is the best church service I've attended in awhile. Seriously. Thank you.

 
Blogger Susie said...

nina and squirl, my dear friends, you are wise women, but I have you fooled. I live some MOMENTS like this, I hope; I surely don't live my life like it. But I want to. As always, I am preaching mostly to myself. And as always, your encouragement and kindness lifts me up.

platy, thank you, it was sent to me in an email this week, I hadn't seen it before either, but I do believe it. I'm looking forward to the party, too!

william, yep, long as you don't step on it ;) mrtl is a good thing, here, there and everywhere.

mrB, when peanuts were what he had, he did what he could; then when he got the leadership of the free world, again, he did what he could. Now he's got some hammers and nails . . . I think he's been a pretty good example of this, even though a lot of folks are mad at him now about his new book.
Having said that, I will also say -- not that anyone cares or even notices -- many times when I use a quote and attribute it to someone, I do not know thing one about that person, I am simply using some of their words that resonate with me. They may be the worst person in the history of the world, who once said something meaningful. End of disclaimer. Not that you asked. Just thought I'd take this opportunity to hold forth on that topic.
How you doin' today?

arlene, thank you very much :)

eclectic, aw, thank you, honey. I went to real church today. Don't do that all the time now, but I made it today. Late. But there. I go to TV church a lot these days. I told Jif, last week I heard 3 good sermons, from three different flavors of Christianity. TV church is not all bad.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, I don't know any humans who are advanced enough to live this 24/7. We can all try, though. :)

 
Blogger Nina said...

Trying and wanting to is living it. We don't always succeed, but "wanting to" is 90% of it.
There are many who walk on this Earth who don't or even can't give a rat's ass for another. So there has been no fooling here. :)

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I've always thought Jimmy Carter was a man who walked the walk just as much as he talked the talk.

Is this a picture from your own yard? It reminds me a lot of a birdbath that is in the yard at Jim's in Flint - I believe his grandmother made it, and it has all sorts of pretty little stones and tiny toys embedded in it. When we patched up a crack in it one time, I also added a small plastic dinosaur. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now he's got some hammers and nails..." -- Oh, how I love this guy! Those hammers and nails and the many lovely hands that work them provide much needed and deeply appreciated assistance to some hard working people who just need an extra hand. I can't go out and collect for them any more, but I love to give.

Lynn - the spiller who can't sign in.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

...an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

Wowzer. Did I need to hear that today.

Thank you Susie.

Love you.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

What an amazing quote. I am very inspired. Once again you blow me away.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Uh oh. I've struck a noyve.

I have zero problems with Jim/James/Jimmy (which is a subtle reference to Jimmy Neutron combined with the Carter to form a stiff, whipped-topping of comedy for one and all). I just like to pick on quotes. Not Jimmy quotes, or Susie quotes, just quotes in general. I'm not poking fun at his faith, just his woyds.

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, sshhh, I'm meditating ;)

nina, OK, I concede that you are not fooled. And I definitely give a rat's ass :)

bucky, I think so, too. Yes, this is a stepping stone that LG made for Jif a few years ago, with a little help. I love that you embellished the birdbath with a dinosaur :)

lynn, did you do what I hope you didn't? I'll have to come and see. Jif and I volunteered on a Habitat house once. I laid bricks. And liked it.

ck, I love you, too, and now I need to go back and read that scripture. Have you seen my Bible? I had to get this online today, mine is missing. In action. Or maybe in inaction, and that's why it's missing :(

kranki, well . . . you blew me away for a very long time before I ever blew you away . . . so . . . it's mutual, my friend :)

mrB, heee, no, you really didn't. My noyves have got bigger problems than blog comments, these days! But I see why you would get that impression, given my speechifying. No, we're good. I have gotten emails, in the past, from people who took issue with the people I chose to quote; not with the quotes (like YOU do), but with the people; and I don't know the people, don't necessarily endorse the people, just like the quotes. Whew. Got that? No? I have to get you some cheese . . . I keep forgetting . . .

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Whew! There for a sec I thought I was going to have to lose my seat at the little kid's table and be forced to move to the "adult" table. Ewww.

Actually, I need to find some cheese myself. Haven't forgotten, just been busy. Mom's in the hospital. :(

 


Post a Comment

<< Home