header image

Sunday, January 07, 2007

goal

Sunday Post ~ "Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Hebrews 13:6

file under: &Sunday Post

20 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

You keep coming up with the best inspirational quotes. Twain's right. It seems that some people can only feel better when they make others feel worse.

The most uplifting thing, though, is to help lift up someone else. But you already knew this.

Happy Sunday, Sis!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A great quote AND a great verse. Many blessings...

 
Blogger August95 said...

Happy Morning after Susie. I hope your Birthday was wonderful.

This is such a great quote and especially true for the ladies in the house.

Have a happy Sunday.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the clarity and color contrast in that shot.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Twain was such an astute observer of human nature. We are so vulnerable to what others say about us. We only need to stop and consider the source.

Happy Sunday. Hope you had a great birthday, Susie!

 
Blogger Nina said...

I love Mark Twain, and his insight of human behavior is always astounding to me.
Happy Sunday!

 
Blogger The other me said...

Here,Here! The older I get, the more I see that it is such a waste of time by associating with people who try to squash you. When Iw as younger I would try to infect them with enthusiasm...never found one yet that caught it when they were determined enough to be a misery! I love coming here because you always make my day better! Thankyou. Helen.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Okay, until today I had always thought my favorite Twain quote was, "Will power last about 2 weeks, and is soluble in alcohol." But now, it's a tie.

Do you know I think you're great?

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, yea, luckily, people a lot brighter than I have had a lot of good stuff to say :)
And that quote from Squirl is not too shabby, either :)
Happy Sunday to you, too.

mainline mom, thank you, and all blessings back to you, too :)

august95, yep, i know what you mean. I hope your birthday was great, too :)

michelle, there you go again, letting me pretend to be a "photographer" instead of just someone who likes to take pictures. Thank you; you are always so encouraging.

ortizzle, consider the source, indeed. I had a conversation like that with my pastor the other day. She is a person very sensitive to criticism, which is not good, in her profession. Talking about a church member who is SO negative about everything, I said to Rev. Dr. Fruity, "Just imagine what it would be like to live inside a head that thinks that way. What a dreary, hopeless place. It's not about you, it's about where she's coming from. She's to be pitied." In short, "consider the source."

nina, he really was/is quite remarkable, very wise.
Happy Sunday to you, too, Nina :)

t.o.m., aw, thank YOU, Helen. It is very mutual. You make my days better, too.

eclectic, well, good.
I kinda know you think I'm great, because you kinda tell me sometimes. I think you're great, too, you know. You know?

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful Epiphany birthday. Now I have two amazing women to celebrate on Jan. 6. You and my Mom!

Happy Sunday!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

"Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions."

That is some of the best advice ever. The ones who are left are the ones who love you.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Happy Sunday Susie

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Makes me think of that old Blackfoot song:

Twain, Twain
Take me on out of this town...



What? *channels Emily Litella* Never mind.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

And I'm thinkin' the next step is to surround yourself with as many great people you can find.

Happy Sunday, Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, so I'm late to church again...

I love the quote...how true it is.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When people belittle you, it also helps to remember they are often statements about fears or judgments belittlers have about themselves. They sound so different
when you hear them as "I am afraid of..." or "I am angry at myself because..."

It's easier to hear what else they may be saying when you realize it's probably not about me anyway. And it's easier to forgive them, or move on, which does sometimes mean hanging out with more positive people.

And when you find that the belittling voice is your own, go stand in front of the mirror, close your eyes, and pretend you are talking to a precious loved one, the one whose future is full of hope, and then say what you wanted to say, but speak outloud as if you are actually talking to that person.

Then open your eyes.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so late to church! I did stop by yesterday evening but I was a bit drunk and thought it was probably better to wait until sober before commenting...

As always you amaze me with the quotes you post. I really like that one and hadn't heard it before but it makes a great deal of sense. I shall try and carry that with me into the new year. :)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That quote is SO full of truth!

 
Blogger Susie said...

heartworks, hi, nice to see you. I'm glad your mom is an amazing woman; sounds like I'm in good company :)

elizabeth, yep, amen :)

lynn, at least the ones who are able to love you better.

william, thanks; and happy Monday night :)

bucky, you know I have a soft spot for giwls with R twouble.

kranki, I think that's what I do here :)

anon, that's the good thing about this church, you're always on time, and no one turns around to stare when you come in :)

sheryl, you are so right. Much more often than not, belittling is about the source, not the object. Compassion is in order. The balancing act is to be compassionate toward the pain that created the negativity, while not becoming a container for it.

platy, you can come to this church drunk. Actually, I sometimes do the "sermon" after a glass or two of wine on a Saturday night.

ck, and you are SO full of cute :)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home