header image

Sunday, November 05, 2006

reflect1

reflect2

upsidedown trees

Sunday Post ~

"How do I change?
If I feel depressed I will sing.
If I feel sad I will laugh.
If I feel ill I will double my labour.
If I feel fear I will plunge ahead.
If I feel inferior I will wear new garments.
If I feel uncertain I will raise my voice.
If I feel poverty I will think of wealth to come.
If I feel incompetent I will think of past success.
If I feel insignificant I will remember my goals.
Today I will be the master of my emotions." -- Og Mandino

Isaiah 61:1-3
Philippians 4:8

file under: &Sunday Post

20 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

Exactly the right attitude. While we can't always change what happens around us, we can change the way we respond. Excellent quote.

And beeeeyooootiful fall reflection pictures. We should all reflect on your quote here today. :)

Have a wonderful Sunday.

 
Blogger Platypus said...

As always, Susie, beautiful pictures and an inspiring verse.

I'm actually in the process of trying to change myself at the moment and I'm pretty much doing what that poem says. Last night, when things got rough and I was frightened and upset, I posted about it to get it out of my system then I turned the music up loud and danced round the house doing my cleaning. It worked and I felt better. I intend to work more on it. Thank you. x

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

You are noble, righht, pure, admirable, lovley....whatever.


:)

 
Blogger Nina said...

Attitude is everything . . . and everything is attitude. Grandma Moses said, "Life is what we make it; always has been, always will be."
Beautiful trees and reflections.
Happy Sunday!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes my emotions get the better of me, but I'm working on that.

Happy Sunday, Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh Susie....... I came to your "church" this morning to check on you and say a little prayer. And you, amazing woman had words just for me.
You can't know how I needed that quote.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie, my dear, I come here first thing on Sunday mornings to see your beautiful pictures and to feel hopeful. Worked again. Thanks. Love you.

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, yep, and I am getting an AWFUL lot of practice. I know you are, too. I hope your day is wonderful, as well.

platypus, dance music is good for cleaning. I will follow your example a little bit, today. As much as I can. I'm glad you feel better. I like your plan for next year.

william, aw, get outta here. I am much more "whatever" than I am any of those other things ;)

nina, I agree. There are a few quotes like that, on the same theme, and I am always drawn to them. I think this is relevant to a "conversation" that Carlos and I were sort of having in comments on the previous post.

chchchchia, you made me LOL. You caught me; or Google caught me. The original quote said, "When I feel inferior, I will wear new crotchless underwear." But since this is church I thought I'd class it up a little bit, make it a little holier. (Although now that I think about it, can you get much holey-er than crotchless underwear? I think not.) And then the corollary to that quote is "And if you wear used crotchless underwear, then . . . you really are inferior." Hey, I'm just quoting . . .

ck, me, too; and I'm working on it, too. We'll be patient with each other, and ourselves :)

jeannie, that makes me feel really good; I'm glad it meant something to you. God almost always works that out, here, and it always tickles me.

traci, I love you, too. I'm glad you came to church this morning :)

 
Blogger Ern said...

"If I feel inferior I will wear new garments"

That's my favorite one. In fact, I plan to blame any new purchases this week on this quote. :) "But honey, I NEEDED that new outfit! See? Og Mandino says!"

I love the song based on that Isaiah passage. (He gave me beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning...)

 
Blogger eclectic said...

"If I feel ill I will double my labour..."

Hmmmmm, I always wondered how I ended up in the delivery room that third time, but this explains it all. Thanks, Sis!

*heh*

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Yep! I am choosing to interpret the "new garments" line as an invitation for a little retail therapy. You have made my week!

Happy Sunday, Miz Susie!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm 85, lean to the starboard side, use a cane and have an oxygen bottle on my hip.

I am so grateful for peoples desire to be of help that I smile as wide as I can and thank them gently. Sure, I could get the door open, yet - - - maybe some day I won't be able to and need that good-hearted help.

I have tried to be of help over the years and only ran into a couple of nasty-asses, the rest graciously thanked me.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I went to "real" church today (lit a candle in memory of my grandmother at her church for All Saints Day), I got far more out of this post. As a poor graduate student, I'm really claiming the affirmation about thinking of wealth to come.

I sense you've had an especially bad time of it the last few days. So now I'm asking our Lord to be merciful to you in the coming week. I love you.

 
Blogger I'm not here. said...

(((hugs)))

 
Blogger Ortizzle said...

That was better than goin' to church. Bless you. Hope your week ahead is full of all kinds of good things!

 
Blogger Amy said...

Oh how I love fall pictures!

GREAT post, Susie. Totally need to cross stitch that one onto my arm.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that quote and the photos, especially the bottom one are gorgeous.

 
Blogger Susie said...

ern, happy to supply you with a license to shop :) There's another song from that verse, "Put on the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, lift up your voice to God..."

eclectic, but if you had really doubled your labour, you would have had twins.

kranki, shop on! I think boots are especially helpful for feelings of inferiority :)

doug, I hope I am as active and gracious as you at 85. Hell, who am I kidding? I just hope to BE 85 some day :)

katy, I went to real church on Sunday for the first time in months. Saturday had been a really good day, but Sunday, not so much, and I've continued to "backslide." So merciful sounds good. I love you, too :)

MoDis, hugs back. Your doggies make me smile :)

ortizzle, thank you and I hope the same for your week.

mrtl, you, too! I'll email soon about the visit :)

amy, thanks, but if you start cross-stitching on your arm you'll need to see someone like me . . . better to knit it on your brow :)

michelle, thank you, the bottom one is my favorite, too :)

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Excellent advice.

 
Blogger ~d said...

WOW!
Og Mandino, huh?
I am a huge fan of his: the Greatest Salesman in the World.

Like beyond...I give this book as gifts.
Or rather, I have.

(smile)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home