header image

Sunday, October 15, 2006

chocolate!

Sunday Post ~ a theme: Temptation (talk amongst yourselves)

"Every conquering temptation represents a new fund of moral energy. Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before.
" -- William Butler Yeats

"We usually know what we can do, but temptation shows us who we are." -- Thomas Kempis

"No temptation can ever be measured by the value of its object." -- Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

"We gain the strength of the temptations we resist." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What makes resisting temptation difficult for many people is they don't want to discourage it completely." -- Franklin R. Jones

"The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little." -- Thomas Merton

"Naughty can be nice." -- inside the wrapper from the piece of candy I ate right after I took the photo


Hmm, to listen to great thinkers, or a foil candy wrapper . . .


Matthew 25:41
1 Corinthians 10:12-13
Hebrews 4:15-16

file under: &Sunday Post

26 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

Well, I just had a chocolate shake last night. And I've already dipped into the halloween candy.

 
Blogger Susie said...

g'mornin', squirly girl. I could go for a really good chocolate shake right now, even though it's freezing (literally) here. Truthfully, I don't even consider chocolate a temptation, because I don't even try to resist it when I want some. But it would have been tough to photograph some of the things that may present a temptation to me, so . . . chocolate works :)

 
Blogger Platypus said...

My probem with temptation is that I almost always give in to it. Today's temptation is not to stuff myself silly over at my parents' house where I'm off shortly to meet up with my sisters and have Sunday lunch. It's been too long since we've done it and my Dad does make the best roast potatoes so I'm pretty sure it'll be Temptation 1, Platypus 0 by tonight! :) Have a good Sunday, Susie.

 
Blogger Nina said...

I'm with you there are certain things that really aren't temptations, just basics for life. Chocolate is one of them and coffee . . . there are others that I could add. But I'll stop there.
Happy Sunday Susie. Oh there is a chocolate cream pie in my fridge . . . but instead of breakfast I'll wait for lunch. :)
Now that is avoiding temptation for me. Thinking I'm weak . . . :) Not sure I care . . . life is short.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Darlin, that picture is the inds of temptation I don't try to resist... I jump in with both feet.

Happy Sunday, Susie!

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Go for the foil, duh. It's ALWAYS about the packaging.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally the foil babe! Sadly, my temptation is not chocolate...more like mashed potatoes and gravy or mac & cheese...you know, all the nice fatty carbs!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Hmmmm... Didja ever go to church and feel like they were talking specifically to you? Yeah... well... me neither. ;) Love ya, Susie!

 
Blogger Susie said...

platypus, just think how happy it will make your dad that you're enjoying his special potatoes :)

nina, saving chocolate pie for lunch is evidence of extreme willpower and strength, my friend. Nothing weak about you ;)

LL, come on over, I'll share :)

CK, me, too. I almost put a picture of Legolas, but I don't really resist him, either.

mrB, of course you're right. Anytime you can say to a temptation, "Nice packaging," you know it's all over.

traci, mashed potatoes are a wonderful thing, aren't they?

eclectic, you tickle me so much. This post is mostly for me, but hey, if one or two other members of the congregation feel a little squirmy . . . I love you, too :)

 
Blogger Platypus said...

Oh Susie, talk about temptation! This has just appeared on the BBC news website! http://tinyurl.com/yz52as

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Dark chocolate, huh? You know, I hear there are antioxidants in that stuff. Temptation? I can't get enough chocolate. One questionable news report is all I need. I'm just gonna pretend it's health food.

Thanks for what you said at my place. I needed to hear that. You're special, Susie.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

MMMMmmmm chocolate! LoL at eclectic...every single Sunday I go to church and feel like they're talkin' just to me.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, that pic made me hungry!

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

IS It Just My Imagination,Susie, or are you are My Girl, The Way you Do the Things You Do?

I Ain't to proud to beg for a piece of that Cake.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh good LORD, Susie... you're not going to leave that picture up ALL WEEK are you?

*sigh*

 
Blogger Susie said...

platypus, very . . . tasteful. heehee

lynn, I'm mostly a milk chocolate girl, but honest and truly, these little dark chocolate things make me feel better now. And you're welcome :)

mainline mom, you must be a very guilty person. I know eclectic is ;)

jill, help yourself!

william, clearly, you have been Too Busy Thinking About My BakedGoods! (Do you know how proud of myself I am for that one?) Do you know how much it tickles me that you come up in here singing Motown? You are a man after my own heart. Well, I do realize that you are actually a man after my own cake, but still . . . Yes, cake for you!

ck, what?! I think it's sweet. :p

 
Blogger Amy said...

Friggin Yum.

I will settle for a hot chocolate this morning, though. Had Dairy Queen ice cream cake on the weekend.

Today I vow to resist going out to the lunch truck and getting those huge soft oatmeal choc chip cookies.
maybe.

 
Blogger Susie said...

amy, hold on, missy! I had to come back and reply to you before you make a BIG mistake. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies? I recently learned that those are called "cowboy cookies." Let's think this through. Cowboys are a part of the American west. Um . . . OK, the NORTH American west. They are iconic. It would be un-continental, un-hemispheric of you to forsake cowboy cookies. Do you want that on your conscience? I thought not. And huge and soft? Chewy? Please. (Send me some!)

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

I think I gained a pound or two, just looking at that photo. YUM.

Love, hugs, and many, many prayers to you, Miss Susie.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, it IS sweet... and rich, and totally completely delicious looking. I may have to give in to temptation and bliss out on some yummy, gooey, thick, rich chocolatey heaven before this week (day) is out...

I'll blame you, of course.

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I have some candy of that very kind. And the "fortune cookie words" inside are a lot better than those quotes.

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

Oh dear.
My current temptation is macadamia nuts!
Daughter just returned from Maui with a huge stash of them... just for me!

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Sierrabella, you just enjoy every single one! I'm sure you work hard enough on your property to work them off anyway. :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

ladybug, well, winter is coming, and you'll need a few extra pounds -- sounds good, right?
And thank you. xxx

CK, I will accept full responsibility.

hoss, but I keep getting the one that says "Remember your first everything." And I can't.

sierrabella, oh, what a nice souvenir!

squirl, true dat.

rick, don't be silly! Would I post a picture of meat here? Well, yea, I would, but only if it were my famous Spam sculpture . . .

 
Blogger MrsDoF said...

Susie, Dear, I don't have your site on my feed because I like to come back to read comments.
Lately when I stop by I feel like I need to go brush my teeth afterwards.
If you are going to leave the yummy temptations up much longer, I will have to go buy toothpaste.
Could you at least turn the picture to black and white or something?
Thank You, from a frequent lurker.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I couldn't even comment on this on Sunday because I was in the throes of PMS agony and craving your subject matter so badly my whimpering could be heard from the elevators. Since then I have eaten a veggie burger, fries, chocolate shake, 2 chocolate bars and some potato chips. All is well in my world. I don't curse temptation but the hormones that make it impossible to resisit it. EVIL!!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home