header image

Sunday, October 22, 2006

morning glories

Sunday Post ~ a theme: Failure and Forgiveness

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -- Mary Pickford

". . . you have as many clean slates as you want with me." -- an email from a forgiving friend

"Forgiveness is the final form of love." -- Reinhold Niebuhr


Matthew 18:21-22
Hebrews 8:12
Psalm 103:8-12

file under: &Sunday Post

20 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

Great juxtaposition of the brand new morning glory and the dying one.

The quote is right. It's only when we stay down that we fail.

And forgiveness is definitely love.

Love you, sweetie!

 
Blogger Platypus said...

As always, Susie, that's a lovely thought for Sunday. Much love to you and the family. x

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I don't know about Mary up there..."'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down"...I don't call it failure or staying down, I call it "sleeping in".

 
Blogger Nina said...

This made me think about the last time I used the word failure. When someone says their marriage failed, we think okay the end, over, finalization and I'm sorry.
The first time someone said to me you have heart failure . . . I'm thinking finalism . . . just waiting for this baby to stop pumping. Yet I learned it means my heart will always be scarred and it fails to pump blood and work like it is supposed to. People live with heart failure all the time, our bodies adapt.
To make a long story short . . . I learned failure isn't the end, but it is a beginning of new way. I have become less fearful of failure. Because we all carry scars of some sort . . . it is easy to fear failure. Forgiveness is so very important in the need to not fear failure. Forgiving ourselves for our failures allow us to try again. So yes darling Susie, I so see the theme. ;)
Happy Sunday!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

I like clean slates. I try to keep a fresh supply on hand to give out, and to give out with the intention that some will be given back. But I like you even MORE than clean slates. Or ice cream. Honest.

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Well, Susie! For me, this is quite timely. It's also sweet, like you.

 
Blogger Ern said...

Happy Sunday Susie. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that. And Nina's comment about a marriage failing...thanks, I needed this tonight.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, as always, a lovely, lovely picture. I've always had a soft spot for Morning Glories.

I read a book yesterday "One More Day" by Mitch Albom. It talks about failure and forgiveness in a way.

Thinking of you.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Hi Susie.

 
Blogger Susie said...

Hi, squirl. Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure they were morning glories, but now that you've confirmed it, I'm good :) I thought a lot about that last quote. I don't know the context it came from, but to me, "final" means the last developmental stage of love, the highest evolution of love. So, yea :)
Love you, too.

platypus, much love back to you, Mighty Laundress.

mrB, GET UP! It's Monday and there are packages to inspect.

nina, "failure isn't the end, but the beginning of a new way," and "forgiving ourselves for our failures allows us to try again." Thank you. I know these words are true and I needed to hear them. I am STILL trying to really "get" them. Very hard for me, for some reason.

eclectic, I have gone through quite a few slates in my day. heh, quite a few ice creams, too. I love you.

lynn, I'm glad you found something here. It always pleases me so much when I learn that what I thought was quite egocentric applies to someone else, too. Like Jung said, "That which is most personal is most universal." Or something like that. (I'm not all that sweet, really.)

ern, happy Monday, too :)

traci, see, Nina is very helpful like that :)

ck, you didn't abandon us! I may check that book out. I liked Morrie and the heaven book. I'm thinking of you, too, and hoping the week flies by with lots of happy moments.

howdy, william :)

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

Hello and good morning, Miss Susie. Love, hugs and prayers to you.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, beautiful. Thank God for friends who give us new slates.

 
Blogger Effie said...

morning glories always remind me of my childhood. Dad would always plant the veggie garden out back with loads of veggies, but along the back end of it he would build a mini trellis and plant morning glories. I was always in awe of the beautiful blue flowers that would open with the sun and close with the dusk. You could never have a bouquet of them as they died as soon as you picked them, but you could marvel in their "glory" out at the garden's edge.

Love and hugs to you this chilly Monday!

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I love the idea that a person can start fresh any time they want.

Thanks, Susie!

 
Blogger I'm not here. said...

(((huge hugs)))
Love the quotes, it's so true.
:o)

 
Blogger Susie said...

hi, ladybug, all the same back to you, my dear.

mutha, yes, I do thank God for such friends, and for friends who don't take offense at long, bossy emails ;)

effie, thank you for that. I had forgotten, but my father planted morning glories at the end of the garden rows, too. And I do remember the disappointment at trying to pick and keep them. (Now, I'm singing "Love is a Rose;" maybe it's more like a morning glory.)

kranki, I like that idea, too. I go through lots of fresh starts.

MoDis, I'm surely hoping they're true. Hugs backatcha :)

 
Blogger Froggylady said...

Love the quotes and how they go with the morning glories. Growing up those were my favorite flower and I remember being excited about a new day so I could see the new blooms.

 
Blogger August95 said...

Love the Mary quote.

Just wanted to pop over and say howdy. Hope you are doing better.

Hugs :)

 
Blogger Effie said...

Hiya Hon! Come over for a pic of my tummy--gettin' big!
xxoo

 


Post a Comment

<< Home