header image

Friday, November 24, 2006

Nuttin' Much

I was never a big "Friends" (the TV show) fan, but I do remember the Thanksgiving episode in which Phoebe accuses Joey of wearing her maternity pants, and he says something like, "They were your maternity pants. Now, they're my Thanksgiving pants!" On the way to my SIL's for the festivities, I realized that I had made a grievous Thanksgiving error. I was wearing jeans fresh out of the dryer. Newly washed jeans are NOT proper Thanksgiving pants. They didn't really slow me down much, though.

Napkin ring


Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade:

LG: Look, it's Mr. Peanut, riding in the Nutmobile!

Susie: Aw, I wanted to ride in the Nutmobile!

Jif: I thought Michael Richards was riding in the Nutmobile this year.

kramer

There's an idea. Every year at this time, we should have a national election to determine who has proven himself or herself most worthy of a ride in the Nutmobile.

So, tell me, did you make or observe any grievous Thanksgiving errors? And who would've gotten your vote for Distinguished Nutmobile Passenger this year?

21 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I think Michael Richards is a definite just-under-the-wire shoo-in for the NutMobile this year. Maybe even on into next year.

I ate extreme amounts of food, but it was done over hours and hours, in courses and then in leftovers.

Just say "yes" to Thanksgiving fondue.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

The Nut Mobile Electtion is a great Idea. I will have to think about this.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I have so many nominees in mind you might wanna consider "Peanut Mobile", "Cashew Mobile", etc.

This year I intentionally wore jeans and a short sleeve t-shirt. Comfy even after eating.

I think the only error I made was not removing the "am I in the damn Twilight Zone?!!?" look off of my face more quickly. Sorry, family does that now and then. But it's ok, a TV was saved and I didn't pull any back muscles.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

I didn't observe anything on the day that deserved that nomination. I'm sure there are plenty around if I checked, though.

I ate plenty, but not enough this year to feel bloated afterward. Now if I can only keep this up through the holidays.

Hope your day was absolutlely wonderful. Mine went quite well. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most grievous Thanksgiving Day error? For me, that's an easy one. It is committed by the person who can't seem to grasp the basic rule of family style dining. This person will not serve him/herself and then PASS THE *!#@ SERVING BOWL on to the next person. For some reason, this drives me stark-raving mad. If the offender is a child, it is forgivable. Beyond the age of, say, 21, it should be considered a federal offense however. Because I observed this infraction several times yesterday, I took drastic measures and told my mother we were gonna set up a buffet for the next holiday. If not, I'll be ready for the Nutmobile ride.

I think Mel Gibson might have a slight edge over Richards this year for the Nutmobile honors. It's mighty close however.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

All in all, it was a good day. Greivous errors? Only attempting to visit with extended family when every member of the circus has been fighting off something. Again, it was good that we went, though.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grievous error was doing too much "taste-testing" during the meal preparations. But, like you, I didn't let that slow me down too much.

God bless you and yours, Susie.

P.S. Did you get my email the other day?

 
Blogger Amy said...

It wasn't thanksgiving here, but I am sure I made several grevious errors anyway.

Michael Richards is Crackers!

 
Blogger Susie said...

bucky, that's right, I forgot about the big fondu-ings at your place! That's a great nontraditional tradition. Good job pacing yourself.

william, get back to me :)

mrB, I'm all for saving TVs and backs; sounds good. I KNOW that look of which you speak.
Brazil nuts, macademias, pistachios...yea, I could see a whole nut parade.

squirl, glad you had a good day. I must say, I ate my fill, but didn't pig out, either. Not uncomfortably full. The nut nominations can be from the entire year, not just Thanksgiving :)

katy, interesting. Jif's family is WELL trained in the passing thing. I only noticed one violator and it was my KID! With just three of us at a small table, I guess she doesn't have enough practice at the going around thing. We'll work on that. But I can see how that would bug you in a group of adults.
And Mel certainly would be a contendah.

ck, I hope all are feeling OK, and that you didn't make the relatives sick. LG has a nasty cold that we carted off to the SIL's, and her two kids. Lots of hand-washing, warnings, etc. I feel your pain.

ladybug, I only did pies, so not tooo much testing for me. Gotcha on the email. God bless you, too, honeybug.

amy, oh, I make grievous errors every day, too, but yesterday I made specific HOLIDAY errors :) Crackers, indeed.

 
Blogger Effie said...

no grievous mistakes yesterday EXCEPT for the fact that Wednesday night, when I was preparing my mouthwatering-melt-in-your mouth oh so yummy butter tarts, I didn't cool the pastry dough at all and it was a complete FLOP! Usually they are so perfect but this time I couldn't get even one tart out of the pan in one piece. I was going to send the batch of them down with my hubby when he visited his relatives for dinner(I couldn't get off work). I was SO ticked off. The crumbles are still quite tasty but they would have been SO much better complete....so, my grievous error was sending my hubby to a Thanksgiving dinner empty-handed!

Mmmm, butter tarts....

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, I think the short dude in North Korea with the Very High Hair just edges out Michael Richards.

 
Blogger Platypus said...

I can't comment on grievous Thanksgiving errors since we obviously don't have that here but can I suggest a certain G W Bush for the Nutmobile? His friend Tony could ride with him to keep him company...

Running away now!

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Yay! I'm just here to report that so far this season -- I am not a candidate for the nut-mobile. Yay!!! for me. Woo hoo!! How have I managed this Herculean task? Easy! I stayed away from my family of origin. We had a great time just my husband and me and the kids. {{{{{Susie}}}}}

 
Blogger Andrea said...

I can't believe no one has yet nominated Tom Cruise, but Michael Richards' gaffe is more recent in the memory. Still, Cruise-man is still a bigger nut in my book.

My only Thanksgiving screw-up (worth mentioning) was not putting the sparkling grape juice on ice before serving it, necessitating putting ice IN the drinks...but considering I was hosting the holiday at 7+ months pregnant, I won't complain if that was the worst thing that happened!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I nominate all of the nuts who awoke this morning at 4:00 a.m. so that they could be at the malls when (some) of the stores opened at 5:00 a.m.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Grievous error: serving steak to a housefull of people without thinking that perhaps the family number of 6 steak knives might be insufficient. Yikes! Still, everyone was gracious and found a "buddy" to share with, so we'll laugh about it in years to come. Aw heck, what am I saying? We laughed about it right then and there!

On the Nutmobile? I'm with Platy.

 
Blogger Vajana said...

Hands down the Nutmobile is driven by my in-laws. Last week, prior to having a baby being due the 18th, my MIL inquire as to whether my family would be attending T-giving at their house. When I said, no, I may even be in the hospital still (Where I did end up), she freaked and told everyone we were screwing up 'the normal.'

!!!!

 
Blogger Susie said...

effie, that is SO sad. But at least you got to munch the crumbles. Butter tarts sound divine.

anonymous, VHH is often a telltale nut sign, I think.

platypus, a multinational Nutmobile contingent? I could see that...

lynn, this comment made me very happy :) woohoo for you!

andrea, at 7 months pregnant, they're lucky you fed them at all! Mr. Cruise certainly would have been a front-runner!

ssnick, my favorite nomination so far, with apologies to any of the beloved nuts here who might have fallen into that category :)

eclectic, it is the hostess who is confident in the sanity of her guests who feeds a large group something that requires everyone to have a sharp knife. My entire family here? We're puttin' the knives away... Sounds like a fun group, with the knife buddies.

oh, vajana, I hear you, honey. And you were the one screwing up the normal? From this little vignette, I'd say that ship sailed a while back in that family!

 
Blogger Ortizzle said...

Grievous Thanksgiving Error: My sister brought over her side dish of mashed potatoes. It was covered in foil, so I thought nothing of it when I pitched it in the oven to heat up with the rest of the veggies. Right before serving time, I kicked up the heat so everything would be piping hot before going to the table. About 10 minutes later my sister said, "Did you remove the plastic wrap that was under the foil?" !!!

The Nutmobile: My instant choice was Tom Cruise, but it looks like that's already been mentioned, along with a few other world leaders whom I condsider "beyond the Nutmobile."

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Happy Sunday, sis!

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Gorgeous table, love the china and the crystal. Very very nice!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home