header image

Monday, November 20, 2006

Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner?

On the way home from church yesterday, LG says to me, "Isn't it funny how someone can do something that you really hate, and they keep doing that thing that you hate, and they won't stop, but even though you hate the things they do, you can never really hate the person?"

"That's true . . ." What on earth is she thinking of . . . she's had no bad love relationships . . . no drug-addicted siblings . . . mygosh, she is wise beyond her years . . .

Turns out Biscuit is the "person" she was thinking of. "We hate how he rubs his ears on the front of the couch," she explained, "and he won't stop no matter what we do, but we still love him."

I knew that pets teach kids about responsibility. I never saw quite so clearly how much they can teach about interpersonal relationships.

(Plus, I'm telling you this to say, "Isn't my kid amazing?" :)

23 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Platypus said...

She certainly is, Susie. You've done good there!

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*wonders if pooch would change this if the couch were Q-tip shaped*

 
Blogger I'm not here. said...

I love it!
(And to answer your last question:
Yes, I believe so.)

:o)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She certainly is amazing. Give her a little extra hug for me, wouldja?

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Yes, she IS amazing. So's the VBD.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Your kid is totally amazing. Abso-very-lutely.

Almost as amazing as MY kid(s). ;)

 
Blogger Susie said...

platypus, aw, shucks. Not me. Like you, I was gifted with an amazing girl.

mrB, I have spent WAY too much time pondering your comment. heee IF the couch were that shape, so that maybe one is SUPPOSED to clean one's ears on it . . . he would stay far away from it. He is bad. He refrains from doing what he is supposed to do, and seeks out that which he is not.

MoDis, thank you, honey. I kinda didn't leave anyone room to say "no," did I? (Although now someone will ;)

ladybug, I will. Give your babies a hug from me, too. In fact, that's a very good idea, today's a very good day to give extra hugs to kids. And dogs, too.

CK, shameless parental bragging is ALWAYS welcome here :) You remind me of another conversation with LG, when she was maybe 3. She was asking who is prettier, she or her cousin, Sarah. I told her that God makes mamas'eyes so that they all see their own babies as prettiest. So when I look at her, she is the prettiest, and when Aunt Beth looks at Sarah, Sarah is the prettiest. I think that's actually close to the truth.

 
Blogger sometrouble said...

that is so cute. wow she is a smartie pants...in a good way!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hee... "shameless parental bragging" - I may have to change the name of my blog now... :)

 
Blogger Effie said...

She is amazing! And what she said is SO completely TRUE TRUE TRUE! She's gonna be some powerful woman when she grows up!

Hugs to you and LG and Jif and heck, VBD deserves a good pat on the head too!

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

:) I thought so. Time to get a Q-tip shaped couch.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, your kid is amazing! And very wise, too. Must have something to do with the way she is being raised.

You know... Apple, Tree, Not far.

 
Blogger Nina said...

With you as her mother, of course she is amazing!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

LG just delights me with her ancient soul in those amazing eyes! And Biscuit just cracks me up. Snoot kisses to him, please.

How did I miss this one? I checked in here a thousand times yesterday??! *sheesh*

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

"I kinda didn't leave anyone room to say "no," did I? (Although now someone will ;)"

Your wish is my command: She thinks dogs are people. That's just wrong.

But maybe this comment is about people who think dogs are little babies, and dress them up in bling and carry them around. (Whew! It's a good thing Biscuit is too big to carry, because I might be treading on thin ice here.)

Any negative connotations contained in this comment are definitely not about LG, because LG is amazing!

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Very amazing. And I can now see how the VBD got his name.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kid is definitely amazing! What a wonderful job you must be doing Mom (and Dad too). Peace.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

You just be thankful it's only his EARS he rubs on the couch.

 
Blogger The other me said...

She is considerably nicer than my child, who this very evening told me I am looking rotund. He is 6, what will he say to me when he is a teenager??

 
Blogger Squirl said...

LG is such a cool kid. Y'all are doing something right. ;)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children represent the very best in all of us. Parenting is the hardest role in our lives, but the most rewarding.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LG is so cool.....

RE: What pets teach us. My beloved Sophie, now gone 6 years, taught me about unconditional love--and I'm extremely clear about the fact that that's the lesson she authored for me. I used to fuss and fume about how she never would let me cuddle and smooch on her, how standoffish she was, even though I love her so desperately. One afternoon, I was glaring at her as, once again, she nimbly leapt out of my arms and sat thwapping her tail at me in extreme feline irritation. It was as if a curtain lifted, literally like night and day, and I saw that I had to love her on her own adorable but prickly terms - there was no other way to do it! What a relief that was. And for that, I'm so thankful to her. Too bad she had such a dense student for so long!

- Lotus Lynn

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but isn't this expression generally just an excuse for homophobic hatred and finger-pointing. Conservative Christians SAY this all the time, but their actions are hateful toward the supposed "sinners", imo.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home