header image

Sunday, October 23, 2005


Sunday Post ~ "A Prayer for Autumn Days"

God of autumn, the trees are saying goodbye to their green, letting go of what has been. We, too, have our moments of surrender, with all their insecurity and risk. Help us to let go when we need to do so.

God of fallen leaves lying in colored patterns on the ground, our lives have their own patterns. As we see the patterns of our own growth, may we learn from them.

God of harvest wagons and fields of ripened grain, many gifts lie within the season of our surrender. We must wait for harvest in faith and hope. Grant us patience when we do not see the blessings.

God of geese going south for another season, your wisdom enables us to know what needs to be left behind and what needs to be carried into the future. We yearn for insight and vision.

God of flowers touched with frost and windows wearing white designs, may your love keep our hearts from growing cold in the empty seasons. -- by Joyce Rupp, in "May I Have this Dance?"


Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

file under: &Sunday Post

18 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

That poem is so beautiful. Very appropriate in many ways. And I love the pumpkins. Ichabod always likes plants that are native to the Americas like pumpkins and sunflowers. Thanksd!

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

God of slugs, deep beneath the leaves, please don't leave slime behind.

 
Blogger Nina said...

Beautiful poem . . .

"Grant us patience when we do not see the blessings."

Something I needed to be reminded of today . . . Thanks.

 
Blogger Susie said...

thanks, squirl, the pumpkins were at a garden center, we just have one on the porch. I like the way Ichabod thinks, I think :)

hoss, slime happens.

nina, I think many of us in blogworld need that reminder today. And for some of us, I hope those blessings are visible VERY soon. (I am thinking of our friend, lawbrat.)

 
Blogger Nina said...

Oh yes, I will be hoping and praying that those blessings are visible VERY soon for her.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

"Pumpkin" is a common term of endearment around our house -- this post gives it another whole layer of meaning. :) It makes me happy.

 
Blogger Susie said...

nina, I didn't know when I commented earlier, what you are going through today. Hugs to you, my friend.

momo, you are so welcome.

eclectic, isn't it funny how we use food names for our loved ones? When LG was a toddler, we all "argued" over whether she was Mama's sweet potato ("sweet titato," she said) or Daddy's pumpkin ("pumptin").

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

If you can look at a flock o' pumpkins and not smile, then we need to talk. :)

 
Blogger Amy said...

Lovely.

 
Blogger Nina said...

Thanks for the hugs Susie, I appreciate them.

 
Blogger Ern said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful prayer. I stopped by yesterday long enough to enjoy it, but didn't comment, so now I am! I always enjoy your Sunday posts.

Personally I attended the church of classic rock yesterday, which included such anthems as "Jesus is just alright with me" and "Spirit in the Sky". Back to back on the radio on a Sunday morning. Coincidence? I think not. :)

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I love autumn. And I love this poem.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olá amizade. Meu nome é Ernísio Martines Dias. Sou um sujeito calmo, mas de uma hora para outra posso me tornar agressivo se percebo que não estou conseguindo o que quero. Reconheço que sou mesmo um mau caráter, desonesto e sem escrúpulos, que só penso em ganhar dinheiro à custa dos outros, em ter lucro financeiro em tudo, como sonegar impostos e enganar as pessoas com minha lábia. Eu mesmo acredito na mentira que digo a todo o momento e acabo procurando fazer as coisas por baixo dos panos, pelo modo que me parece ser mais fácil.
Há antídoto para um marginal corrupto? Aceito sugestões construtivas no meu e-mail ernisio@vba.com.br Sabe, me sinto com duas faces. A outra é diferente, pois quando não estou trabalhando, me sinto frágil e até estou com tendência a gostar de homens. Isso é agonizante! Por tudo isso, acabo tendo depressão e insônia, mas ainda estou com esperanças de mudar esta minha vida para melhor e conto com a sua ajuda. Obrigado.

 
Blogger Susie said...

bucky, glad you enjoyed the flockin' pumpkins :)

thanks, amy, you too!

nina, any time.

ern, This is from a study/fellowship group I'm in, which is using "May I Have this Dance?" as a guide. So far, I really like the book, it's a devotional, one writing per month, and I really like how the writer thinks. No coincidences. God sings to me on the radio all the time :) However, your comment reminds me of the old (you're probably too young) Flip Wilson TV sketch, "The Church of What's Happenin' Now!"

kranki, You make me smile :)

ernie, word. Seriously, if all that's true, you've got a lot going on, and you need to get some help, in person.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Flip Wilson. I am NOT too young to remember him. Though I will always think of Geraldine and her "Satan, get behind me!"

And yes, I thought the Carol Burnett show was a classic, too.

 
Blogger Maven said...

That picture reminds me of my favorite limmerick:

When the weather's hot and sticky
That's no time for dunkin' dicky.
When the frost is on the pumpkin
That's the time for dicky dunkin'.

 
Blogger Maven said...

PS: Did you know that what is labelled on cans as being pumpkin puree, is in fact the puree of the Blue Hubbard Squash, and NOT pumpkin?

Just thought I'd share:)

 
Blogger Susie said...

maven, ha, thank you for the uh poetry and for the consumer information ;)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home