header image

Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween Finale

parade

The afternoon started with a par-tay and parade (above). I love this parade tradition that LG's school has. Almost 1000 costumed kids stand in a circle around the soccer field, while the Vice Principal uses a bull-horn to call out, "Sports figures!" "Rock stars!" etc., and each group called leaves the circle and parades around the inside perimeter so that everyone gets a good look at everyone.

headless

Headless Arwen and a couple of friends. The little girl on the right had my favorite costume of the day -- she's a hurricane. Specifically, Hurricane Nina, and she is right in the eye -- isn't the shirt appropriate for an "eye?" In the "wind" around her are houses, trees, cars . . . isn't that clever?! Other favorites, which I did not get a picture of, but which tickled me no end, were little boys as Napolean Dynamite, with curly red wigs, eyeglasses and "Vote for Pedro" T-shirts. Funny.

ketchup

Within each grade, the teachers dress in some theme. Fourth grade teachers were condiments this year, with little white caps and labels. LG's teacher was ketchup.

whoopee

My last image from the school celebration: Jacob has placed a Halloween whoopee cushion on Paul's chair! Shhh! Don't tell Paul. Giggle, giggle, giggle.

Then it's off to Nana and Pop Pop's, where I can pretend to be Oprah Winfrey giving out automobiles. Except I give out GIANT HERSHEY BARS!

hershey's

You know what trick-or-treaters say when you whip out one of these bad boys? They say, "WOO-HOO!"

candy!

While I played Oprah, LG went out to work the neighborhood. Not too shabby, eh?

LG as Arwen

And finally, one last look at the Arwen costume. LG must get to bed, she's looking a little pale! Thank you all for indulging me in showing off my kid and her costume. Hope you have had a lovely day, too. Oh, and one more "thank you" to Easy Writer for sewing Arwen's dress.

27 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Unknown said...

Dang! Score on the Reeces Peanut Butter cups! You give out Hershey bars? Where the hell were you when *I* was a kid? Our neighbors gave out crap like Necco wafers (brrrr...them's gross).

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Happy Halloween!!!!

We had a few treaters here. No costumes for me, I went as myself this year, the big Ho(e).

 
Blogger The Q said...

So in addition to the gorgeous green eyes, she has long, wavy hair? Please tell me that's a wig. You are going to have to lock her away from the boys. Sheesh!

We gave out the same thing...the kids were SO cute.

"OH MY! These are REAL candy bars! They're the BIG size! I love Hersheys! Thank you! Can we come back again later?"

Of course I said yes as I certainly don't need these full size candy bars around the house!

 
Blogger Susie said...

jim, welcome! My MIL buys these big candies, and I get all the credit because I answer the door!

greenie, you big HO(E)! Good thing you came over tonight, I was about to toilet paper your trees, boy. I've missed you.

soozieq, It's a wig! Isn't it fun to see the kids' reactions to the big candies? It seems most people have gone to the "fun-size" candies. For shame . . .

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

Is that Bucky's Bat Boy mask she's wearing in the final picture? Because that would be wrong.

I don't approve of the candy bars. We handed out religious tracts in the form of comic books telling all the kids who came to our house that they were going to burn in the everlasting fires of Hell for celebrating Satan worship. Kids LOVE comic books!

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

The pictures are great. And I love LG's costume and I agree the Hurrican was clever. Glad you had fun.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Wow, LG looks great. She also got a pretty good candy haul herself. My parents could never afford to give out the big candy bars. I don't live where there are trick or treaters so any candy I buy I have to eat.

Nilbo, you are just wrong.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Giant Hershey Bars?! Oh man... where are the pennies?! Kids LOVE getting pennies!

LG looks SO cute... what a doll. Terrific costume, and DANG, what a haul! I hope you went through her candy carefully, you know, for her *safety*.

 
Blogger Nina said...

It looks like they had so much fun! Hurricane Nina, that is clever.
I guess you would be looking like Oprah Winfrey giving out candy like that.
LG made a very beautiful Arwen, what a gorgeous costume & gorgeous LG. I would say it looks like everyone had a really fun day. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

What a beautiful costume! And good grief, what a haul! Nana and Pop Pop's neighborhood must be the. place. to. go. for the good candy!

 
Blogger Ern said...

There was a house in our neighborhood when I was a kid that gave out the full-sized candy bars. You had to get there early!

Also, LG's Arwen costume was perfect. And I meant to comment on your previous post, but must have gotten distracted. LG has booty, booty flies. Simply booteous.

 
Blogger c said...

She looks lovely!

We took a neighbor friend with us this year (my son's friend) and the first thing he said upon entering our house, "We have to go to the big candy-bar house FIRST!"

So we did!

 
Blogger Andrea said...

MAN, she got a lot of chocolate! Starting this year, I decided I'm only giving chocolate; that way, MY chances of getting some chocolate are greater (if there are any leftovers, though I had only two Hershey's miniatures left this year. No matter...Audrey always shares her chocolate with me :) )

mowram??? a sheep that is used as a lawnmower?

 
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Great costume. I love it.

 
Blogger Susie said...

nilbo, that is wrong on so many levels, I can't even begin . . .

thanks, mrtl!

william, thanks, looks like you all had fun, too :)

squirl, those big bars do add up; my in-laws are the only ones I know who do that, which is why I so enjoy playing Oprah with their candy!

CK, like you, I am committed to being a devoted candy inspector/tester. Motherhood: the toughest job you'll ever love.

nina, thank you! I love your seasonal profile pix :)

ladybug, thanks, and you're right, Nana and Pop Pop's is a desirable trick-or-treating neighborhood.

ern, thank you. We just learned this afternoon that her bootyflies will soon be wearing glasses!

misfit, thanks, and I like how your little friend thinks!

andrea, LG got a lot of chocolate -- no smarties or sweetarts, which I think are an insult to decent candies everywhere, but which Jif likes.

sfg, thanks!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

LG is going to wear glasses? Those booty flies will still shine brightly from within, no doubt.

Why will she be wearing glasses?

 
Blogger Susie said...

Hi, CK, I'm still here. The child is showing signs of nearsightedness, which, with Jif and I as parents, she almost can't escape. One eye needs a little bit of help, so she'll have glasses for seeing the board in school. She's a little excited about it, so far :)

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

her costume is great! how great! wow! very impressive - and although her lil' mug was covered, super cutie, nonetheless!

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Is it too late to get to your house for one of those dudes? I haven't had one for 65 years...

 
Blogger eclectic said...

She's stunning! Easy Writer did remarkable work on that -- kudos to her/him, and to LG for thinking of such a perfect costume. What fun!!

 
Blogger Kranki said...

What a great costume. LG looks gorgeous. What a fun day.

 
Blogger Candy said...

Happy Halloween, she looks lovely and its nice her school still does stuff. All the schools around here have cancelled halloween parties permentantly.

 
Blogger Susie said...

thanks, annejelynn!

hoss, 65 years?! I'll hook you up, I've got your address around here somewhere.

thanks, eclectic, Easy Writer is a girl (a 50something "girl";) who is a very talented seamstress/costumer.

kranki, thank you!

jess, thanks, why no more Halloweenin' there?

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

What a cutie! She makes a gorgeous elven princess.
And shame on you, Nilbo, for bringin' Bat Boy into this. I don't think he and LG could be friends. He's too bitey.

I think a lot of schools have stopped sanctioning Halloween parties because there is always one parent in every school who complains loudly that it's a "satanic" holiday.
Yeah. The same people who would never bother to crack a book and find out the actual origins of the holiday.
Glad to see LG's school doesn't cater to that nonsense, and lets the kids be kids on the most kickass of holidays, 'specially for, but not limited to, kids.

 
Blogger Susie said...

bucky, thanks for the nice things about LG. eclectic has a beautiful, beautifully written post that touches on many adults' fear and dread of the holiday.

 
Blogger Effie said...

Wow--full sized Hershey's bars? I'm impressed--WOOHOO!

She was beautiful--but my oh my that poor girl looks very pale--get her to a Dr. quick quick quick!

Happy 2 days after Halloween!

 
Blogger August95 said...

Wow, LG looks beautiful. Even with the dot on her face. That is one heck of a costume.

Bigs candy bars. You go Susie!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home