header image

Monday, May 30, 2005

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous

The Sublime: Memorial Day

I had a most distinguished visitor yesterday, one Abraham Lincoln, whose site I would like to share with you. His posts for yesterday and today are informative and thought-provoking, and a worthwhile way to spend a moment on this holiday.

Abraham describes how "Decoration Day" has morphed into "Memorial Day" as we now know it. Or as many school children don't seem to know it at all, other than as a day off with cook-outs. In the south where I went to high school, they do still have "Decoration" days. Abraham's posts made me wonder if other areas of the country continue this tradition. Did your family ever participate in "the Decoration," as mine did? Read Abraham, he describes it much better than I can.


The Ridiculous (aka The Typical, for This Blog): An Update

The drama from last weekend has been fully resolved. Katy Caverna Barzedor (aka "Bucky Crocker") posted girly pix of herself over the weekend. She also complied with that part of her punishment that required her to send both SierraBella and I, photographs of herself in her famous chaps. I would say, "it ain't pretty," but I'd be lying to you, and I try not to do that. Oh, and today is Bucky's 40th birthday! Go wish her some wishes!

In the denouement of the contest scandal, SierraBella has offered me my choice of the most picturesque display of Rice-A-Roni ever assembled:

I wouldn't mind grocery shopping if my store had displays like this!


And One More Moment of Sublime:


LG picked me this bouquet from our backyard. A sweet little girl and pretty flowers right outside my door. How blessed am I?

I hope you're enjoying some meaningful moments today, too.

18 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger SierraBella said...

Lovely flowers! LG has a good eye for color.
Went to Abraham's site. It does seem that Memorial Day has lost it's meaning... Lumping Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays into Presidents Day was another step in the wrong direction.
Glad to see my Rice-A-Roni stash made it into the big leagues! Perhaps Rosie O'Donnell will see the picture and come on over for dinner. Hey- you're all invited!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Yeah, pretty flowers. But still no dandelions....

 
Blogger c said...

Found this:
http://www1.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.htm#hist

Interesting. I had to teach my son today about the REAL meaning of this day, instead of what he was being taught.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

I just went over to Abraham's site. I'm glad all kinds and ages of people feel so free to blog. There's so much we can all learn. Thanks for sending us over there. Nice flowers. and Rice-a-Roni.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Thanks for the birthday shoutout (and the excellent church sign you emailed me). I feel so loved, even though I'm a Rice-a-Roni fibber. And the display of said San Francisco Treat is truly breathtaking. All I can think about now is that vermicelli goodness...

 
Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

Pretty flowers on decoration day. Sweet. As for the rice, I'm an Uncle Benzian but I'll tip my hat to the rice from caulifonia.

Hope you enjoyed your day

dc - drain clogger

 
Blogger Dawn said...

I visited Abraham Lincoln's blog too via yours and was blown away with it. I'm not American, but really learned a lot from it. Wow, that is quite the Rice-a-Roni selection. I think they're discontinuing it here where I live cause I'm having a heck of a time getting it-ah boo that makes me sad-oh well what can you do?

 
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

I see a peony bud, Hooray!

Decoration day is new to me, and I'm wondering if it's more an east coast/southern thing. It's a lovely idea way to commemorate something so sad and important, though.

P.S.Susie, thanks for the sugar on SP, you just couldn't be any sweeter.

 
Blogger Nic said...

What a sweet girl LG is! You are doubly blessed. :) Yeah, I did a whole Memorial Day "theme" on my blog today, including music and trivia. However, now the Monday Meal selection is up on top of the tribute.

 
Blogger Susie said...

sierrabella, I must tell you, that SFT pic is one of the most delightful pictures I have ever posted here. I can't look at it without chuckling.

eclectic, listen here, Ms. Margaritaville, I HAVE dandelions! My lawn is rife (I think that's the word we're looking for) with them! I just don't have them in the pots on my front porch!

misfit, same here, I had to tell LG what the day is about.

squirl, I love that about blogworld, too. Such lovely, diverse and interesting people.

sir bucky, you are most welcome. Hope you had a nice nap. I did notice the change in your masthead; you are a gentleman, indeed ;)

dc, you do tickle me so. Uncle Benzian. What'd you do to clog the drain?

blogaholic, why you change your name? You in the witness protection program? That is one big and beautiful doggy you have there :)

plum, yes, I LOVE peonies. Nothing smells better. I have two more bushes that haven't bloomed yet, red ones. Hey, that wasn't sugar! That was Splenda :p

nic, I shall come and check out the menu :)

 
Blogger Dawn said...

um -i changed it for various reasons, maybe one day i'll blog about it. yep my dog is huge- she has a thryoid(sp?)problem personally,i think she just eats too much junk, plus she was the biggest of the litter. oh well i love her to bits and my other 4 dogs,5 cats and the pig

 
Blogger Torrie said...

Bucky in a dress pretty much made my day.
Thanks!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

OK...maybe your lawn isn't dandelion-free. Still, one can never be too careful.

And I'll thank you to use my real name: that's "Ms. Margarita-city" to you!!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm heading over to Abrahams. It is so special when your child makes a bouquet for you. Give her big hugs!

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Love the Rice-a-Roni display and well done on extracting penance from the Buckster. That has been one of the highlights of blogdom for me.

Much Love! XO

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

Oh, what a beautiful bouquet. And hand-picked by your sweet little LG. Perfection.

 
Blogger Maven said...

Hey hey, not all Rice-a-roni babe... aren't those two on the right, Zatarain's? :)

I'd be willing to toss in some cous-cous, just be-cause-cause:)

Love the sex post above this one, too... love it! See for me... I'd be giggling my ass off at how uncomfortable everyone else was.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honor my meatball on this day.
Seriously, we would put flowers on graves after church on Decoration Day. Maybe next year we'll get back into tradition.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home