header image

Sunday, June 03, 2007

dandelion2

Sunday Post ~ "For a long time, it seemed to me that life was about to begin: Real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life." -- Fr. Alfred D'Souza

Psalm 118:24

file under: &Sunday Post

21 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

I have wasted many years living my life like that quote. And, yes, it turns out that it was my life all along. The psalm says it all.

I know this has very deep meaning for you. Love you, hon. Happy Sunday!

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*wonders how many of those obstacles were jokes about his name*

"It's for you! HEY! D'Souza! Phone!"

 

Hey, susie! Stop reading minds! The Cap'n and I were talking about that very topic yesterday...because the next thing you know, some of us are still waiting, and, oopsie, life has run out. Thanks, as always, for the weekly reminder.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

The quote is so appropriate. I came to the same realization at some point, early on in my life -- but I also think it's possible to slip back into that mode without realizing you have done so. And I think it's happening to me. I need to work on that.

 
Blogger Amy said...

Excellent quote. Smacked me right upside the back of my fool head, it did.

 
Blogger The other me said...

A'int that the truth? Hurst when you first realise and then, well you get on with it and see what fun it can be after all! Thanks, Susie.

 
Blogger Nina said...

I love the dandelion standing all alone. Sometimes we get to be flowers and others times it pays to be a weed. Of course it was humans that determined that the dandelion was a weed. Mother Nature I think views them as just another wildflower.

I grew up being told this is life. So I think I have always thought of life as an obstacle course. The good stuff are just perks on the side.

This quote sent my mind in motion and looking back, every obstacle I told myself this is life.

I guess I have always held low expectation for life and higher ones for myself, to survive.

What a strange effect this quote had on me this morning.

 
Blogger Ern said...

Even if you know it and try to live that way, it is always easy to slip back into the feeling of "well, as soon as ____, THEN I can really get on with life." Especially easy as a perpetual student. Thanks for the reminder. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. Alfred D'Souza was a smart cookie.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

It doesn't seem to matter how often we're told that life IS a journey, not a destination. This really IS living, this daily striving; and there's something undeniably beautiful about the process, no matter how difficult some days are. Wish I could give you a big ol' hug today.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture and post! and thanks for giving me the verse that backs up my insistence to say "good morning" to people instead of just "morning." Another 24 hours is a reason to rejoice, even if I've already been told it's not going to be fun.

Thanks for the reminder!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Fr. D'Souza is so correct!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody should have sent me that quote years ago. I would have framed it!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I read something like this in the past couple of days... it's so easy to get into the "after 'x', I'll do 'x'" mode, spending the days waiting for... whatever.

Thank you for the reminder to quit waiting, to get off my b-u-t-t and live the way I wish things were sometimes.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Sunday Susie. This is just the point I've been trying to make to my daughter #2 recently. She isn't ready to listen yet however as I told her last night, someday when things look particularly bleak, she will hear my voice in her head and maybe it'll mean something. You've been on my mind alot. Love you.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

As always, thank you. I will rejoice. No matter what, We will rejoice together my dear friend.

Love,
Peaches

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I love the color effects in your picture.

But what is this about barnacles being part of life?

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, I wasted years, too. I still sometimes waste days. Working on that. Love you, too, sis.

mrB, you're tuba funny :p

htgt, I think it's kind of a universal realization, for people of (ahem) a certain age. Well, not universal, but rather common. Not that you or I or the Cap'n are common. No, not that at all.

karen, yea, some slippage here, too. Good luck with that.

amy, I just meant to tap you.

t.o.m., what fun it can be after all. I'll try to look at it that way. I'm more like, "you can survive it after all," some days.

nina, I think you were uncommonly blessed to have had that awareness your whole life. As you see here in comments, many of us struggle to come to terms with it.

ern, yes, one can slip. And I know when you're a student, or anyone working toward something that hasn't happened yet, it's easy to put off life until that big thing happens. Or to imagine that it's being postponed. But it's not. It's here. If you don't live it, you missed it.

elizabeth, apparently so :)

eclectic, I'm happy for you, and a little envious that you can consistently succeed at finding beauty in the process. I see it in others' lives; I'm not doing so well these days with my own.

lilsis, GOOD morning, and thank YOU for the reminder.

ssnick, yep; makes me wonder what else he may have said. Maybe I'll investigate.

ortizzle, I think most of us need to mess up for a while before we can really get it.

ck, I like that -- live the way I wish things were. If we do that, then . . . things ARE that way. Or at least WE are that way. You know?

traci, she'll get it. Love you, too.

peaches, happy rejoicing. (Is that redundant?) I hope you're doing OK.

bucky, if you saw how I created that effect, you would heave. Or worse.
Yes, embrace your barnacles.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Beautiful weeds you have there Susie.

 
Blogger Molly said...

I just love that the noble dandelion is the centerpiece of your photo. What an underappreciated flower... and of course the quote is timeless.

 
Blogger mks said...

This photo and this quote are very well suited to me these days. I might have to link to the entry from my blog.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home