header image

Sunday, August 27, 2006

crayons1

Sunday Post ~ "God flunks no one, but He sure does give lots of retests." -- Thom Rutledge


James 1:2-5


Back to School


I don't think I've blogged this before. I think I just talked about it in an email conversation with a lovely blogfriend, about this time last year. It's time to go get your school supplies. It doesn't matter that you have no school-aged children, or no children of any age, or that you don't go to school. It's still back-to-school time. Fresh start time. Take it. Use it. It's better than New Year's for a fresh start, because there's no expectation of romance or resolutions, no pause for regrets. Just a new beginning.

I learned this philosophy a few years back, from an elderly, guitar-playing outdoor preacher at a hotel where we were staying for a final end-of-summer getaway. Part of his sermon was about how every year at this time, he bought himself a marble composition book and the biggest box of crayons he could find. Because he allowed himself a new beginning at back-to-school time, fully expecting to learn and grow in the coming year. Expecting to have something to say that would be worth writing in a notebook, or hearing something someone else said, that would be worth jotting down, to remember. And the crayons . . . you say you don't color, but couldn't that be in large part because you don't have your crayons handy? I'm betting you cannot color in a coloring book or draw a picture with your crayons, and not feel just a little bit better about things. Color is a wonderful gift. 120 colors in a keepsake tin?! Please. My cup runneth over.

Go get your back-to-school supplies. Notebook and crayons required. Anything else that helps you feel back-to-schooly, optional :)


file under: &Sunday Post &Sharing

24 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Carissima Amica said...

Hi Susie :) You put into words what a lot of us feel. I just graduated college last spring, and as September rolls around, I'm becoming convinced that part of the reason I want to go into education is this back-to-school feeling of a fresh start.

Cheers!

P.S. A good fresh set of Magic Markers is also a great thing to keep around, no matter how old we get.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

What a wonderful idea. A fresh start. We all need that. I always use the white board to draw pictures, but maybe that's not the same as a big box of crayons.

I also can understand the part of the quote about retests. Many, many retests in life.

Happy Sunday, Sis!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing better than a box of new crayons and a new coloring book. Whenever I am struggling with any thing my husband always brings me home a new coloring book to go with my crayons that I get every Christmas. The smell of new crayons is just as good as the smell of a new book.

and

nothing is better than losing yourself by fousing really hard on staying inside the lines OR not caring and totally going outside the lines!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Miss Susie. This time of year always gives me a new "fresh start" kind of outlook. I spent some time yesterday coloring with Buddy. He insisted on it, and I didn't mind it in the least. It was a nice "just sitting together" moment with my boy.

Hugs to you!

 
Blogger Nina said...

A different perspective on a time of year I didn't like as a child. I found it tough as a mom ~ with anxieties of getting the kids ready. Of course it means fall and then winter. I am such a grump this time of year. Maybe I need to color my world? I may just need to go buy a box or two of the crayons.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughters are excited about it too! I LOVE coloring. I think I need to do more of it. Good morning Susie!

ps-my word verification is ooofo...for some reason that struck me funny!

 
Blogger Ern said...

It was the best advice I got last year. Coloring a fresh start (or a re-start) with many colors made it seem much brighter.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

This is just freaky...

Earlier this week, on a late-night prowl through Walmart, I bought myself a big sketch book and a box of 96 Crayolas.

Maybe we should compare sketches.

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Susie, you are the second person I've bumped into this weekend who has such a positive attitude about autumn. I used to feel like this, too. Thank you for 'the crayons'. Maybe I can color something new.

 
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

I've got my crayonz ready, Susie. You'd better believe I stocked up during all the great back to school sales.

My mom gave me some of the best advice recently. "Color with your kids. You'd be surprised at how much better YOU feel afterwards." I have so many memories of her coloring with us, and I was secretly jealous of how perfectly she colored within the lines and kept her coloring striations so perfectly in line. It makes me smile now.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I love this time of year. I too also feel a 'new beginning' sensation right about now. For me it is starting to think about a new pair of winter boots. I love me some new boots.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm . . . the smell of a fresh new box of Crayolas can't be beat.

Funny that Crayonz mentioned her mom's coloring. I still feel jealous of my mom's coloring skillz--and I'm 37!

 
Blogger Amy said...

Oh! The silver and gold crayons still make me feel rich and lucky!

Great post. I love this time of year too, for all it's crispness and newness and walking through the treesness.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The freshly sharpened pencils, the brightly colored thumbtacks, and, of course, the crayons and the notebooks -- I unpacked these things from storage in my classroom and thought about how, like my students, I ready myself for a new year with high expectations and bright smiles.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

I bought my very own box of 100 (96 + 4 extra colors) right after someone gave Audrey HER first box of 100. I don't use them often enough though!

What I like about school starting (especially now that I have one IN school) is walking into the school and SMELLING that school smell. Nothing like it. Audrey already recognizes and appreciates it, too, after just one year of school and a whole summer off :)

 
Blogger aaa said...

Long time lurker.... loved your post. As an elementary school teacher, I love getting new crayons, markers, glue sticks, you name it to set up for my 'new kids'. I'm lucky to always be able to be surrounded by fresh starts.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Procrastinate? ME?? *sheesh* I KNOW I need to do the school shopping, but I had no idea YOU knew I still need to do the school shopping! But, it's not as bad as all that, since they don't start until Sept. 5. See? I've still got a whole week, and I'll pick up a pack for myself while I'm at it. Thanks for the nudge!

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

Great advice, Susie ...

... but I would add this:

Colour outside the lines. It may be untidy, but in the end you'll have an original YOU.

 
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I color all the time...with Paint Shop Pro versions 9x and 10x.

 
Blogger Effie said...

Crayons are awesome--and so are pencil crayons--nothing better than getting that fresh set of Laurentian Pencil Crayons--then you have the colours AND the freshly-sharpened-pencil smell. What more could you ask for?

COlours ALWAYS make my day brighter...I still love colouring!

Hugs & prayers for you, Susie-dear!

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Oh my, I can smell those new crayons from way over here. NOthin' like a brand new box, just begging to be used. Look at those nice virgin tips,,, I forgot how much I love new crayons. Love you too Susie xoxoxo

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the concept of “fresh start time.” I off to get my back-to-school supplies! Thanks—and shalom!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love crayons! I will get some and some new canvas all-stars and a pencil box! Whoo-hooo!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susie,

Just dropped in to see what condition your condition was in.

Now I'm off to sharpen all my No. 2 pencils.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home