header image

Thursday, July 07, 2005

One Love, One Heart, Let's Get Together



Today was going to be my first-ever SPD. I don't usually participate, or publish recognizable photos here at all. But my good friend, Greenie, sent me a bracelet. It's for a good cause, and it's only my wrist, how recognizable would that be? So I was excited to play today. I even thought I'd get Gumby and POKEY in on the photo shoot.

But then I woke up and saw the news. And I didn't feel like playing much of anything. It came up at work tonight, as a client wrote her check and asked the date. 7-7. Some day that hyphenated numeric expression will encompass so much for so many. Everyone in England will know "7-7": where they were, how they felt, the way Americans know "9-11."

On the afternoon of 9-11, I went to the supermarket. It was a surreal experience, in many ways. One of which had to do with music. As a music lover, I have a soundtrack to my life playing in my head, most of the time. The songs that were playing in my head as I entered the store on the afternoon of 9-11 were both Don Henley songs: "In a New York minute, ooh . . . . everything can change . . . " and "this is the end of the innocence." Incredibly, both of those songs played on the "muzak" while I was in the store.

Here's the song that I've been hearing today. A Bob Marley song. It seems to go with the bracelet.

One love, one heart
Let's get together and feel all right
Hear the children crying (One love)
Hear the children crying (One heart)
Sayin', "Give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right."
Sayin', "Let's get together and feel all right."

Let them all pass all their dirty remarks
There is one question I'd really love to ask
Is there a place for the hopeless sinner
Who has hurt all mankind just to save his own?

Believe me
One love, one heart
Let's get together and feel all right

As it was in the beginning
So shall it be in the end
"Give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right."

One more thing
Let's get together to fight this Holy Armageddon
So when the Man comes there will be no, no doom
Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner
There ain't no hiding place from the Father of Creation

One love, one heart
Let's get together and feel all right.
I'm pleading to mankind
Give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right

Let's get together and feel all right.


You want to read some good news? Go read about Brennen.

24 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Joseph said...

GREAT JOB Susie!!! XO

 
Blogger Candy said...

Oh I was so going to first over here but that sneaky Greenthumb beat me!

Today has been an rough day for so many, I was just about to go to bed when I heard about the attacks and it kept me up for most of the morning because I couldnt seem to turn the news off. On 9-11 my grandfather was being buried the morning of the attacks. Its just to much to dwell on sometimes.

Im going to paint my toes and take a bath tonight and feel vrey grateful to be able to do those things, just like I felt grateful this morning to be in my bed and not in the place those poor people were.

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

God bless you, Susie.

 
Blogger Susie said...

Thanks, greenie, you too :)

JR, I remember thinking on 9-11 about those poor people who were already dealing with personal trauma, and had the terrorism on top of it. Must have been a horrible day. I'm sorry you had to go through that in that way.

I think being grateful is an excellent philosophy. We do have much to be thankful for.

ladybug, thank you, sweetheart; right backatcha.

 
Blogger mary bishop said...

Great post as always...and thanks for the flag plug...!

London was so happy on 7/6 with the news of being picked for the Olympics; so sad on 7/7 for being singled out for a nefarious reason.

I hear Dinah Washington singing: what a difference a day makes, 24 little hours.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Nite one, Susie! NITE ONE!

I just don't understand how BLOWING INNOCENT PEOPLE UP can help anyone's cause.

 
Blogger Nina said...

Thanks for the link to read about Brennen and his friends. At times like yesterday, I look to find good, I did.

BTW: If I ever see your wrist around I will be sure to say hey.

:)

Nina

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a shallow thing to say and for that I apologize, but I just had to comment that you have lovely hands and GREAT nails.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie, Thanks for the plug to read about Brennen. And what you and Mrtl did...wow. I'm going to forward it to Kristine to put on his blog...I have no clue how to use blogger. :-(

Its odd how many do remember where they were 9/11. I was driving from GR to lansing. On the highway, my sister called me on my cell just after I heard the first hit on the radio. Then, she was like...OMG they hit the other one...

 
Blogger Susie said...

kitty, thanks for the "one" link; I shoulda done that in the post, not thinking quite clearly.

My blog is spooking you out?! Why you wanna say that? This isn't where Casper *hangs out*! I've seen you in much spookier places than this ;)

mrtl, no, my dear, thank YOU. It did feel good to find something lovely to celebrate.
(mrtl and I are talking about the amazing Brennen; if you didn't go read about him, yet, you should, it will bless your heart.)

MB, another excellent song, and very appropos.

CK, yep. I guess I'd say, it makes no sense to you because you're not evil. Let's be thankful we can't truly understand it.
Your place was another where something made me smile, even on a dark day. Nite one, indeed :)

Nina, I know just what you mean. I was so thankful to have that lovely story to remind me that life is good, people are good.

shallow kal, you tickle me. What girl doesn't wanna hear that she has great nails, no matter what day it is?! Do you really think? Last weekend, for the first time EVER, I gave MYSELF a French manicure. It was fun, with the little adhesive strips and all . . .

lawbrat, like I keep saying, it was such a gift to read such a heartwarming story, and to think that our future is in the hands of good people like your boy and his friends; it truly blessed me.

On 9-11, we felt like sitting ducks, right in the middle of the 3 incidents -- NYC, DC, and PA. It was a horrible feeling that I have not forgotten at all.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did them yourself?! Dang girl, that is impressive - I've had professional French manicures that didn't look as good as yours.

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

First off- now you showed your wrist and lovely nails and next thing we'll be seeing you on Jessica Rabbit's blog!

Great post, really. You have a warm and loving heart!

 
Blogger Torrie said...

You always know what to say.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I like the idea of a "soundtrack to my life". Hell I like most of your ideas.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

p.s. Niiice life line.

Okay I know nothing about palm reading I was just trying to be a smart ass.

 
Blogger Dawn said...

i don't have the words to describe how i feel about what is going on in this world right now. But, I do love this post and the song is VERY fitting for this moment.

p.s your nails look very nice.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Very lovely post about such a sad subject. I'm too overwhelmed by this particular story to really go on anymore than to say people choose some really crappy ways to get their point across.

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Good on you, Susie. And that IS a great story about Brennen.

 
Blogger Susie said...

kalki, yes! I've had professionals, too, but I didn't feel like taking the time, so I bought Nailene Perfect Tip French Polish Guides, at CVS, and voila! Not bad, and it was actually fun, like a little artsy project :)

sierrabella, I wonder if Jess would accept such a tame contribution . . . maybe I need some wrist lingerie.
Yes, my heart is warm and loving, when it's not being catty ;)

torrie, that's just not so, but it is kind of you, as always.

william, now you've got me wondering. I should post my full palm and see if a reader will stop by ;) I saw you at CK's. I read your comment, "Nite life line. NITE ONE!"

blogaholic, thank you; I know what you mean, it's hard to find words.

squirl, it is really hard for us to get our minds around that level or irrationality and depravity. And I guess that's something to be thankful for.

hoss, thank you, and thanks for going to read about Brennen. That story really lifted my mood yesterday.

 

i love this song. one of Bob's greatest. www.bobmarley.com for a soundclip
it's a great song

 
Blogger Susie said...

precisiongirl, hi, I remember you -- with the beautiful wedding gown, right? :)
I watched TV tonight, about what was happening in the "tube" there. It's not worth much to compare tragedies. For me, not much could be worse than being trapped underground, gasping for air, the way those poor folks we saw tonight were. Our hearts are with you.

pil, thanks for stopping in. I went to the link, thank you for that, too; I enjoyed. I am accustomed to hearing the Neville Brothers play that song. They end pretty much all their concerts with it. Very uplifting.

 
Blogger dashababy said...

Hi Susie, Ive been catching up on a few of your posts. I havent even been watching the news but I did hear about the bombing in London. Its a sad world sometimes. Luckily we have people like you to make us laugh. Nice wrist and nails, btw. And I agree with you on the oldies being re-done. Leave it alone people. It is sacriligious (sp?)
Anyway, you cracked me up with your rant on "being taken care of". Too funny.
Glad you had a nice 4th, sorry they left you in line for the potty. They must know you are a smart lady and could find you way back but still, I would be slightly miffed. One time Kevin left me with a group of people in Reno to go back to the hotel, he was tired. I still havent forgiven him. Ok, maybe I have forgiven but I havent forgotten.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Lovely post. It is sobering, isn't it? Heartfelt condolences to everyone affected -- which, when you think about it, is everyone, period. Even a continent away, we are affected if only by our inability to do anything tangible to help. So we grieve vicariously and resolve to love better.

As for your internal soundtrack, Mr. Eclectic will come home and wonder why the house is silent. Is it? I hadn't noticed b/c of the 'soundtrack'. It's always playing. Did/do you play an instrument or sing?

 
Blogger Susie said...

dashababymama, hi! It's always good to see you. Yes, we think alike. I have forgiven the abandonment, but like you, I will not forget. This past week, whenever some little thing would go wrong for Jif, and he'd complain, I'd remind him, "It's not that bad . . . I mean it's not like your whole family just walked out and left you alone in a restaurant!"

eclectic, I love music, most kinds, but I am only a dilettante (sp?) at playing or singing. I play piano minimally, and I sing all the dang time, but only to myself and my captive audience here at the house. Used to do chorus and that sort of thing, in school.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home