header image

Monday, July 04, 2005

Certain Unalienable Rights


Two of my favorite "girls," a couple of weeks ago. (Thanks to Easy Writer for the photo:)

Last week, MaryBishop had a provocative, thoughtful post on the flag burning amendment controversy (correction: it was her 6/23 post). Yesterday I heard a proposed solution, credited to Jon Stewart and The Daily Show. In the name of putting our differences aside just for today, standing together over hot dogs and baked beans, can't we all just get along, and agree that . . .

"It's OK to microwave the flag on high for no more than 3 minutes." (I'm still conservative where the flag is concerned, so if you do this, please make sure it's folded properly.)

And remember what it's all about:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. (Read more)

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

23 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Jon Stewart. Funny as all get out, thought-provoking at his worst and best.

I have only one amendment to the Declaration of Independence. Change men to women.

Ok, two amendments. Recognize the rights of other living creatures, and our responsibility (if we're going to "own" land) that we need to exercise good citizenship and work toward the health and sustainability of our relationships with the land and other creatures, human, or not.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops! I meant change men to *men and women*!

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Thanks, Susie, Happy Independence Day to you and your family, too. And I love Jon Stewart too!

 
Blogger August95 said...

Have a wonderful Independence day Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Indepence Day to you! ... from a Canadian neighbour who is quite aware that we're not quite capable of protecting our own borders ... so thanks for your help ... even though ... ok, no, I won't get into that here :)

 
Blogger eclectic said...

"...make sure it's folded properly." Heh!

Lovely of you to post the D of I, and you're not even a lawyer! Also, props for identifying the holiday correctly as Independence Day. I never gave it a thought on my blog... I'm so ashamed.

*abashed & blushing*

 
Blogger s said...

Not quite sure how I "fell into your blog" but what a great post.

Kudo's to you for what you wrote here today!!!!

Shalom,
Sarah

 
Blogger Susie said...

la pix, I thought you were just a tad militant, there, but yes, if you will still allow the men some rights, I endorse your changes. With the rights come the responsibilities, including good stewardship of natural resources, and respect for our critter neighbors.

squirl, thanks, I love this holiday. The fireworks, the fact that it's about WORDS and the power they have to move people to action . . . don't get me started ;)

august95, thank you, and to you as well, as I said at your site, I need some Canada Day education, but I shall get it; I truly shall.

peefer, yea, I know. It's a day for celebrating; back to trying to fix, later. And *looking around* since I'm the only American here just now, I shall speak for the entire U.S. of A., and say, you are most welcome. You're very nice neighbors.

eclectic, most of my childhood, I wanted to grow up to be a lawyer. Never enjoyed a college course more than Con. Law. But then I realized how smarmy y'all really are . . . NOOOO! I was just better suited to the shrinky thing. I'm not biased, some of my best friends are lawyers ;)

kitty! What a lovely wish you've wished me. I hope you have a thoroughly bloggable day, too :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

sarahkaplan, I missed you there. Welcome, hope you didn't get hurt when you fell :) Your comment has a kind of "through the looking glass" quality that is probably quite appropriate for this place. Thanks for your kind words, and Shalom backatcha.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a flag code, and knowing how well read and knowledgeable of US history the top people in our government are, I don't know how the proposed amendment will affect it. On this site will be the U.S. Code. Title 4 Section 8 item k states The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. Jon Stewart did mention this on his show.
One thing . . . living in other parts of the world gives you an appreciation for all we have here in our country. America the Beautiful and God Bless America are among my favorite songs and I will choke up singing You’re a Grand Old Flag.
In regards to the greener of your ‘girls’, someday I hope to make it to Bedloe’s Island.

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

Susie-
You know it's just not proper to microwave the flag... it's best to add garlic and saute for several minutes, folded correctly as stated.

 
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Happy Fourth Susie!!

Have a great day okay??!!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Independence day!

 
Blogger Weetzie said...

idb...happy 4th to ya!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week's assignment was an Informative Speech for the HCC communication class.
One fella gave each of us a copy of the Bill of Rights and did a great speech.
Mine was very lame by comparison. It was about crochet yarn and patterns.

Hope everyone is havin' a fine holiday.

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Oregon's Constitution actually legalizes the right to overthrow the government by force. The only thing is, you better win.

Re: la pix comment, I wonder why forefathers didn't give women the right to vote. It seems odd, today, in view of the "all created equal" jazz.

 
Blogger Ern said...

Jon Stewart cracks me up!

Happy 4th to you and your family.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Happy 4th Susie. So you can't burn but you can warm gently? Good to know.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Have a good day and thanks for posting that.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

 
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

I think la pix had a point before the oops: "change men to women." :-)
Thanks, Susie, for a great post and a wonderful photo. Happy 4th to you and your family.

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

Happy Independence Day. The world became a far better place on July 4th, 1776.

 
Blogger Susie said...

sub, you have mentioned one of my pet peeves, that I did comment on at MB's. People need to "retire" the flag properly, which can include burning it, when it has done its duty; I believe scouts, veterans' groups and the like will help with this if one needs help.

sierrabella, only in California ;)

kristine, thank you, I did have a great day, right up until the time my family ditched me (see Tuesday post)

lawbrat, weetzie, hope your holiday was great, too :)

mrsDoF, your speech was not lame. You were doing exactly what the BoR guy was talking about, which was to freely speak about the topic of your choice. You are a true patriot, and I'll bet you can make pretty things, too.

hoss, those old guys weren't as brilliant as you; that's why.

ern, me, too. And you, too.

kranki, I think in most cases, warming gently is a better plan.

william, julie, vicki, thanks for your kind wishes, and I hope your day was great, too.

nilbo, thank you, and yes, it is a very special day, indeed. I get mushy about it. We read the Declaration yesterday, and LG really was interested in the whole story. I loved that.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home