header image

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Happy Mothering Day


Here's to you...

This is a tribute to mothering. Not to mothers; y'all (we all) get plenty this weekend. No, I'm thinking of the MANY people, both female and male, who "mother" someone, without having the title, "Mom." I would like to pay tribute to mothering. That means different things to different people. Here are some of the things it means to me:

~ doing what you don't feel like doing, because you care enough about someone else to put yourself out like that

~ voluntarily sacrificing for someone else's well-being, comfort or happiness

~ being someone else's biggest fan, without keeping track of how many times they don't measure up

~ using whatever you have -- money, affection, cooking skills, sense of humor, etc., to lift someone who doesn't have quite as much at the moment

~ praying for someone faithfully, even if they never know it

~ being truly happy for someone else's success; or truly sad for their misfortune

~ taking care of someone, with no regard for "what's in it for me"

~ making it your business to do all you can to help someone else succeed

And I'm not talking about "co-dependency;" there's no "co" about it. Mothering gives without expectation of getting. If you don't "get" this post, I guess that means it wasn't for you. But if you do get it, then celebrate yourself, celebrate that although no one has awarded you the title, you do mother someone. Maybe a lot of someones -- mate, siblings, parents, grandparents, neighbors, students, pets, friends . . . And I know that if you really ache to be called "Mom," this is small consolation, but just consider, if you were called "Mom," you might not have been able to mother all the other people that you have, during your life. Your contributions are no less significant than if your name were "Mom."

Do celebrate your "mothering" side this Mother's Day. I say it's your day, too.

file under: &Sharing

24 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Merujo said...

I'm so happy to see the Church Sign Generator being used for good, and not evil (like I tend to do, sending demented messages from God to my sisters.)

Happy Mother's Day, indeed! I'm not a mother myself, sadly. (Although enough people have called me a mutha in my life, that should count, right?)

 
Blogger Susie said...

merujo, you're a mutha after my own heart; I normally use the Church Sign Generator to terrorize people;)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL @ terrorizing people with the church sign generator. Could you send one I cuold use here in the Bible belt? lol.

I send my sister mother's day cards because, even though she's never given birth, her 1st husbands two sons and his nephew would have gotten so much love and care if my sis hadn't stepped in to do it. Their father's didn't give a rat's butt about their own kids, and my sister had the resolve to step in and do what needed to be done. She said that if not for her, her oldest stepson (now married and in the Air Force) wouldn't now be so emphatic about making the bed in the morning and helping with the dishes - because his dad never set that example.

A lot of credit goes out to a lot of people who may not be by definition mother, but are mothers by action.

 
Blogger Random and Odd said...

You seriously rock Susie.
I am going to do this - I swear I won't make you cry post- to my mom for mothers day.

Then I am going to do one for Shaun because I swear, he does SO much more than the average father.

You're awesome girl!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. I know so many nurturing types who need to know they are appreciated, but I don't say it quite so well. Thanks for an upper...and No, I didn't let the tears spill over.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sweet and caring. There are so many people out there that 'mother' and dont get a special day. You gave it to them! Go Susie.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Thank you Susie.

 
Blogger Torrie said...

Word to your mother.

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You got any ideas left for Dads' Day, or can we just borrow off the Moms?

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Each one of you posts, seem to out do the last.
Happy Mom's Day.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Happy Mother's Day, Susie. You are so right!

 
Blogger Susie said...

little sister, please go to www.churchsigngenerator.com and pass on the terror;) "Mothers by action," that's what I'm talkin' about:) (Oh, I sent a birthday greeting to someone this week that said, "Happy Birthday, (name), Hymn #45 (his age), Nearer My God to Thee!) Church sign terrorism!

kristine, awesome and rock, right backatcha. I look forward to reading those posts ... tissues ready...

mrsdof, thank you. Send those folks on over to read:)

lawbrat, yep. I used to be one of 'em. Hope you got a sitter!

squirl, you're my girl. That reminds me of a very old song, I think it was "Pearl, you're my girl." I'm thinking Dr. John .. . I could be wrong... cheez, now I'll have to go googlin'...

torrie, since you didn't specify, I am going to take the liberty of choosing WHICH word I shall pass on to my mother...

oldhorsetailsnake, that did cross my mind. I'm thinking, for Dads, the same qualities are required, just different parts.

william, you're very kind. I loved your hidden message, too, which I didn't discover in your post until someone brighter than I pointed it out. Very nice.

kranki, thank you, Yoshi's mama:)

oh, good work, kitty, that's what I'm talking about!

 
Blogger Nic said...

Susie, what a beautiful tribute. I know many women who are motherer's but not mothers. You make my days a little brighter when I stop by here to see what bit of letters you've managed to string together each day. LOL. Well, done!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I SO get it. You are wonderful!! What a great post.

Happy Mother's Day to you!!

Carol

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very sweet Susie. Happy Mother's Day to you too.

 
Blogger Susie said...

mrtl, thank you very much, and same to you. Happy Mother's Day. I love "Hello, Kitty!"

nic, thank you, that makes me very happy:)

Oh, Carol, then I'm so glad you happened by for that one:)

Thank you, Amanda B., I think you mother many; and I hope you get to mother as many more as you wish:)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to your Sunday posts. Thank you for the good wishes left on mine. ((hugs))

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Happy Mother's Day Susie! XOXO

 
Blogger Cat said...

A truckload of word, my friend. Oh, yes. Wordy McWord.

 
Blogger Susie said...

dashababymama, you're always too good to me:) I'm so glad you like the Sunday posts.

greenie, hope you've had a good mothering day:)

cat, you make me wanna sing, "And I say to myself, 'what a wonderful word...'" Word up.

 
Blogger Jomama said...

I'm getting a little emotional from your post and from the comments. This was such a perfect post. You should email it to people that you know and I guarantee that it will become one of those inspirational emails that fill up people's mailboxes everyday. It seems that all of the people that I know that this post applies to are real mothers as well as just motherly to others; I know some very generous women. Happy Mother's Day to you, Susie and to all of the mothers and "mothers" out there.

 
Blogger Susie said...

spoonie, are you blogging drunk again? I hope you selected a card for your mama from the comments on my May 4 post, here. Sounds like a good card shop for you;)

rina bee, you silly girl, why would I want to write one of those things that makes people say, "WTF is this crap in my email today?!";0

 
Blogger Lioness said...

My heart lurched a bit. I think abt the No-babys mamas a lot.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hear hear, Susie.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home