header image

Sunday, February 18, 2007

fire

Sunday Post ~

"Careful with fire," is good advice, we know
"Careful with words," is ten times doubly so.
Thoughts unexpressed may sometimes fall back dead;
But God himself can't kill them when they're said. -- Will Carleton


Proverbs 18:2
Matthew 12:33-37
James 3:3-12

21 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true! I wish somebody had stamped that on my forehead when I was young. I have spent my whole life learning to keep my mouth shut, and I still don't have the hang of it, ha, ha!

Happy Sunday, my dear.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Foot in mouth is something I've had a problem with. Sometimes it's just embarrassing. But sometimes it can really hurt others.

Good advice. Happy Sunday!

 
Blogger Nina said...

Words are like bullets, once fired they cannot be taken back again. Sure we can attend to the wound and apologize with we didn’t mean it, but many times damage has been done. I try to think before speaking sometimes successfully and at other times a futile attempt.
I will have to think about the last line in Will Carleton quote. I'm not sure I understand the meaning.
Happy Sunday Dear Susie!

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

There's a fine line to walk between saying too much and not saying enough. Been guilty on both counts.

I sure hope I'm supposed to be seeing a fire, and not Biscuit.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I read the quote and the passages and the first thing that comes to mind is "When you open your mouth, your brain goes on parade."

I've been guilty of parading my brain on too many occasions.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

CKelli, don't you brain on my parade!

My word ver: kycxx

Wasn't that a Paul Revere and the Raiders song? "Kycxx just keep gettin' harder to find..."

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 'issues' with scripture, but I love the quote! Happy Sunday sweetie.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I enjoyed all three bible passages. I never knew of the one from James. I have heard it in other forms but I really liked this one.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, Susie. I always look forward to your Sunday words.

There is a story about fire in a fireplace that I used in a couple of sermons, but it is too long to repeat. So I'll just mention one the plaques I had on my desk when I supervised social workers: "Be sure brain is in hear before engaging mouth."

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the page loaded it seemed that today's post was showing a flaming moose head - see the log on the right with the antlers? I thought I'd come to the wrong place! Happy Sunday, sweetie.

 
Blogger Susie said...

ortizzle, heh. We could all use a refresher course from time to time, I'm sure ;)

squirl, we all do sometimes. I try to keep in mind another quote, Lincoln, I think, "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Something like that. NOT saying that to you; but to ME.

nina, to me, that last line means just what you said. Even God Himself can't unfire the bullet. I believe that God can help us make something good out of even the biggest messes we make; but we will still have to face the consequences of our words, once spoken. Happy Sunday :)

bucky, oh YES. I've been thinking a bit lately about times when I haven't said enough. And this is supposed to be a fire, with no dog in it! And if I do say so myself, this fire is prettier than the one that consumed Biscuit yesterday :)

ck, I'm not a big fan of parades, but I'd come to see your brain on parade :) There's a joke in there about a float somewhere, but it's not happening for me just now ;)

bucky, you don't want CK to have a brainy idea on your parade?

girl, you better get straight... That's it, right?

chchchchia, to you, too, sweetie.

traci, well you know, I wish you'd take up those issues with a higher authority, but that's just me ;)

william, I'm so glad! I love the book of James. I think it's a pretty thorough "how to live like a Christian" book. NOT easy, very challenging, but very substantive.

ssnick, very good advice :)

platy, silly girl. I don't start burning moose heads until March. (I kinda thought I saw a little hippo head in there, though.) Happy Sunday to you, too. xxx

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Ah, discerning when to speak, when to remain silent. There's a dying art form if ever there was one, one I try to cultivate and hope to practice each and every day. I'll let you know how that goes, okay? ;)

 
Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Susie, thank you for letting me warm myself by your lovely fire :-)

Maybe I can borrow this image for a future blog post?

 
Blogger Nina said...

Thank you that make sense . . . I'm not sure why I was having trouble with the metaphor. Well maybe I know a little bit why, God as our Creator, creates and I'm not sure why my mind had trouble seeing God and kill even with the can't in front of it, in the same sentence.

But hey give the woman a bullet and she fully understands. I guess I shouldn't wonder why I'm going to end up dancing the Limbo for being moderately violent, eh? ;)

I believe as you that God can help but we will still have to face the consequences.

 
Blogger I'm not here. said...

Oh, so true!

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I have found your fabulous quotes somehow relate to something that has just recently happened in my life or something that will happen in the near future. This week I must be hyper aware of blurting out something inappropriate or accidentally burning my place down. I hope it is just the word thing.

 
Blogger Susie said...

eclectic, it is a dying art, isn't it? And it's hard to teach your kid that art when it seems most of the parents around you aren't at all interested in teaching their children that; probably because they haven't mastered it :( Not that I've recently encountered such things.

lynn, you are welcome to sit by my fire, and to take it back to your place :)

nina, :) Having had a bit of immersion in the Old Testament, God doing some smiting would not give me pause. Well, yea, I guess it does, but perhaps not as much as it does you. Nina and God: moderately violent ;)

MoDis, yep.

kranki, what you describe, I think must be "a God thing." People say that from time to time, and it always delights me. Yea, try not to torch your place this week :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deputy Dad didn't get home from work until about 6:30 this morning (His shift started at 5PM yesterday.) because he spent most of the night working a house fire. A 15-year-old girl died when she and a 5-year-old boy became trapped in the house, and she laid on top of him to keep the smoke and flames from him. He survived, but she perished.

I don't know why I felt the need to share that with you, but that's what's on my mind this morning, and that's the first thing I thought of when I saw your fire picture. If you have a moment, you might whisper a prayer for that poor family.

Love and hugs to you, Miss Susie.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true those words are! I also agree that there are as many times when I haven't said what I should have because I was shy, or embarrassed, amazing howthose feelings never stop you saying the stupid things!! Helen

 
Blogger Arlene said...

Fires are my most favorite thing ever!!

 
Blogger Bone Machine said...

"Fire! Fire! Fire!" --Beavis

 


Post a Comment

<< Home