header image

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Twin Chimneys

Sunday Post ~ "Learn from the past, then get the hell out of there!" -- Thom Rutledge


Zephaniah 3:17-20

file under: &Sunday Post

15 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

I remember that picture. It was probably one of the first times I ever commented on your blog.

That's also a very good quote. :-)

 
Blogger c said...

Things like that make me so sad. I can picture the grand house, the parties, the children peeking down from the upstairs...and then it's all gone.

It's a beautiful picture and what a great quote!

 
Blogger Nina said...

Smile, I love the quote . . . and it is so very true. Happy Sunday Susie!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

What is this "past" of which you speak? I barely remember yesterday...

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

Aha! The old homestead picture!

Why is it we always return to the scene of the crime, though?

 
Blogger MrsDoF said...

It's probably not what you were meaning, but what I am thinking is
"Jolly old St. Nicholas....
Down the chimney broad and black,
With your pack you'll creep"

It's only the 4th of the month and already the muzack tunes in every store are turning my ears to mush.

Maybe I should be thinking of the handsome Dick van Dyke and how "a chimney sweep's lucky as lucky can be"

Misfit's comment got me to thinking about the book Mabel Dancing by Amy Hest.

I had better not get near any ruffians today--the ability to lead me astray seems to be a foregone conclusion.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Love the quote! I wish more folks would take it to heart...

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, yep, I took this when I visited NC last April. It was the best pic I could think of to go with the "past" quote :)

misfit, thanks, yea, I don't understand how anyone could have let that house fall down / be destroyed, either. I don't know if you got the story the first time around, but it was my mother's grandparents' home. At some point, I think the property was not in our family, but it has been again for some 30 years. By the time my parents bought it back, the house was gone. My mother's home now is on the property, with these chimneys in sight.

nina, I actually got it at a continuing ed. seminar last week, with Thom Rutledge. It was one of the few worthwhile ones I've attended.

eclectic, must be the cold medicine . . .

sierrabella, yea, we LOVE the scene of the crime; we're all about CSI nowadays ;)

mrsDoF, do stay away from the ruffians. When I posted this before, someone talked about how confused Santa would be if he found himself coming out of one of these fireplaces!

bucky, you might like to wander around in Thom's website. He is very entertaining and makes a lot of sense.

mrtl, there you are! I've missed your usual prolificity or prolificality or some such this weekend. Yes, I remember, it was that poem that first let me know just how strang-- I mean BRILLIANT you are :)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Sunday, Susie.
Excellent quote.
Have a terrific week!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that photo although I agree with misfit. It's a bit sad to think of what was there. But it's cool to see what remains.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

I find this photo a little bit spooky. Yhe chimneys look a bit ominous. Maybe becuase the houses are no longer there. Like they burnt down or something. Gee, I don't know. Just spooky.

 
Blogger Nina said...

I would have enjoyed a seminar with Thom Rutledge, I enjoyed his book a lot. I am sure he could keep it interesting . . . those are the kind I like.

 
Blogger August95 said...

I love the composition of the shot Susie. Nice job. I also wonder what the house looked like. Bet it was beautiful.

 
Blogger eviluncledave said...

They look like guardians to me, as tall as memory is long, tasked to protect the bones of their fallen charge.

I've been thinking about the picture and the quote for the last couple days and have been trying to come up with more of a comment than that fragment of thought that hit me when I first saw picture. A fragment it remains, but I wanted to say thanks for the post.

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

OH WOW! where is this? did I miss where this pic was taken? WOW!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home