header image

Sunday, September 04, 2005


photo by Bert Myers

Audubon Park in the mist, New Orleans, Louisiana. I did not take this picture, but I have taken many in this park. Possibly the most beautiful park, in the most magical city, that I've ever visited.

Sunday Post ~ "God loves a cheerful giver."


2 Corinthians 9:7-12

file under: &Sunday Post

20 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Dawn said...

Oh my gosh that pic is amazing.

 
Blogger Susie said...

blogaholic, I thought so, too, that's why I used someone else's for the first time (Sunday) here. Your puppies are amazing, too.

mrtl, I didn't see the movie, but, yep, that's it. I did see Lauren's post. Someone should put Lauren in charge of such things; she always tracks down the relevant info.

raz, I don't even know what to say. I've been crying all week, and finally realized that in addition to the human suffering, the city is lost, and I loved it, too. As others have said, though, New Orleans is a spirit, a way of life, that will come back. Some of its history can't come back, though. I'm sorry, Raz.

Shoshie, thank you for that. I must admit, I have used the word. It had no connotation for me at all, of citizenship or not, simply "people who need refuge." However, after hearing the word discussed yesterday, and your comment today, I went looking for definitions. The common def. is innocuous, simple; however, it is a legal term, and it does mean people who've been forced to leave their country of origin. I will post something tomorrow. And I will use "evacuee" from now on. I do NOT want Sarah pissed at me. You are welcome to "go on" here anytime you want.

 
Blogger Susie said...

shoshie, as you can see, I replied while you were posting. Not brazen at all. I appreciate your pointing it out.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, that picture is so beautiful and so sad. Ichabod and I were considering going to New Orleans instead of NYC this year. I'll never know now what it was like. I know the spirit of the city will survive, though.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

You have such class. Perfect pic. perfect sentiment. Class.

 
Blogger Susie said...

oh, shoshie, didn't mean to make you cry. This has been a big week for that sort of thing. I didn't know you had 4 kids! Wonderful. I am flattered and humbled that they are impressed, and that you think Sarah would be proud. I know she is incredibly proud of you and Nikki. I can just imagine her pointing you out to her friends and saying, "See!? They're mine. Aren't they GREAT?"

squirl, oh gosh. You know, it won't be what it was, but it will still be spectacular, unlike any place you've ever been. The music and food and spirit will still be there. You'll go to the New New Orleans. As soon as anyone is ready for tourists, I want to vacation in the area. They'll need us all to do that when we can.

 
Blogger Susie said...

aw, william, I missed you there. Thank you for that. I can sincerely say the same thing back to you.

 
Blogger jac said...

I have never been any where near, so I cant say...but that pic is beautiful.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

That is gorgeous, and it made me think of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil too. Makes me sad that I may never get to see it in person.

I also appreciate swlf's comments. I've been using refugee in my posts, not understanding the connotation, and will change that!

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

Lovely, melancholy picture and informative link.
Thank you.

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

Beautiful pic. Lovely and sad.

God bless you, Susie.

 
Blogger Susie said...

jac, I hope you get to go there someday. It is one of our best places, I believe.

andrea, Same as I said to Jac. Yea, on the refugee thing, when we know better, we do better. I know you are sensitive to such things and would never intentionally offend with language.

shoshie, you are very kind to me. All those twins! Your family is blessed in many ways.

sierrabella, thank you.

ladybug, God bless you, too. God bless us all.

kitty, I have had that same thought. At first I was very fatalistic about it; but now I'm trying to think like you say, it will be different, a different kind of beauty, but still beautiful. I haven't been able to find out how the park fared. And of course, in the whole scheme of things, I doubt anyone is too concerned about a park. That will come later.

 
Blogger Candy said...

That is just beautiful, very ethereal and moving.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Susie, can I just hang out here for a few minutes? I can't tell you how much I'd love to make latte's, and sit on the porch and chat with you.

Please forgive me for creating a misunderstanding over at Jessica's -- I had no idea you'd think you qualified for my comment...I certainly never considered you a candidate! Anyway, for any pain you experienced, I am truly sorry. I never meant to inflict it.

This post of yours is a stunning Sunday post -- as always. Thank you for giving us these weekly gifts.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

ps. sbhhe@juno.com

 
Blogger Susie said...

jess, I thought so. Eery and sad, but beautiful and inviting, too.

momo, thank you. I hope you're doing OK, you've been on my mind.

eclectic, hugs. I know you didn't mean to do any such thing. The responsibility for a misunderstanding is primarily on the shoulders of the misunderstander. That would be me. Check your email.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

How beautiful. I hope it is that way agains oon.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil takes place in Savannah, GA.

 
Blogger Susie said...

kranki, me too. I don't know how hard it was hit. There's a zoo there, too.

sub, oh, yea, that's right. And the statue is a bird-bathy kind of girl. The feeling evoked by this one is the same as that book cover. I guess that's what everyone is seeing here.

 
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Sub, I was going to say that too. For some reason, I really liked that book. (The movie was good, but didn't quite do it justice.) I love this photo of New Orleans. It evokes the same "ghostly" feeling.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home