header image

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Update: Hakuna Matata

UPDATE, Wednesday night: As previously reported, The Lion King was maybe our BEST theater experience ever. And while others have had more experience, my audience member resume is not too shabby: I saw Yul Brynner in The King and I, Robert Goulet in South Pacific, and James Earl Jones as Othello, among other classics. If you POSSIBLY can, go to Lion King.

As for LG's concert, it was excellent, high energy, cute and loud. Third, fourth and fifth graders. Because we didn't think she'd be performing in the evening concert, I attended the in-school performance on Monday. And because we didn't know that she'd be performing tonight until last night, I was unable to get away from work early enough to attend tonight's show. However, Jif did. SO, both her Daddy and I got to see and hear her, her good grade in Chorus is secure, and we aren't complaining about a thing.

Oh, and one more thing: My GOSH, y'all are sweet, to take time to yippy! with us about our little fluke of fortune. Bloggers are good people :)

We went to the Lion King tonight, as planned. It was spectacular. I loved it so much. We were right on the aisle, so LG got up close and personal to the amazing critters as they paraded by. Last week I asked for your opinions on going to the Lion King, and having LG miss a "mandatory" school chorus performance. It was unanimous, take a bad grade in chorus, and go to the Lion King. I had informed LG's teacher that she would not be performing in the concert.

Well, guess what!? LG came home from school today with a note that her concert was postponed until tomorrow night, due to air-conditioning troubles at the school. So she didn't miss it after all! She gets to do both.

Hakuna matata. That's what I'm talking about : )

29 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Nilbo said...

I missed the poll. I'd have gone for skipping chorus, too. Four minutes into the opening number of Lion King, my daughter turned to me and said "OK ... I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth ..." It's that damn good. What a treat to experience it with your kid ...

 
Blogger Bente said...

I would love to go see The Lion King. It's palying in Australia now, so you never know. Glad LG got to do both!

 
Blogger Susie said...

nilbo, that's exactly what I said, less than 10 minutes in. Just amazing. I agree.

bente, as Nilbo and I are saying, if you get the opportunity, GO. You will not regret it. Never seen anything like it.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah that is such good news-crisis averted. we had aisle seats once and were totally amazed, eventhough we already knew what was going to happen. tell LG good luck with her concert tomorrow.

 
Blogger Weetzie said...

GREAT! You took the poll, paid attention to the UNANIMOUS results (& your own decisions, of course)~ Karma has rewarded you with a second chance for the "mandatory" chorus night....win win!

 
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

We want a review of both, thank you! Glad you all had a blast!

 
Blogger Robin said...

Ooh, I would love to see The Lion King! It looks spectacular! Obviously, LG was meant to go! Good luck to her with her concert, maybe she will be inspired by The Lion King!

 
Blogger August95 said...

Wonderful news. I bet LG was on cloud 9 when she got the note. I will have to catch the Lion King when it comes.

Yippy for good Karma.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hakuna Matata indeed. :)

I'm so glad you all had a great time. How wonderful that LG gets to do both.

Serendipitous?

 
Blogger Squirl said...

The whole thing couldn't have been more perfect. Glad you enjoyed the show. Maybe I'll check it out some day.

 
Blogger c said...

I love it when the universe works the right way!

Glad you had a great time.

 
Blogger Vajana said...

THAT was God's way of saying, "You totally made the right decision my dear!"

 
Blogger Closet Metro said...

Yay!!

(I knew you wouldn't regret it.)

And, umm, Yay!!

 
Blogger Maven said...

I'm contemplating going to a Bobby McFerrin concert this weekend... and the tune "Don't worry, be happy" comes to mind as well!!

Must be your lucky week! Play the lottery!

 
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

So that's where you've been, tinkering with the school HVAC? Either that, or Somebody really, really loves you. ;)

Oh, I would've been a nervous wreck skipping the F grade choir performance, but that was one of those "sacrifice" decisions you just gotta make as a parent.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't little miracles totally cool?

 
Blogger Torrie said...

Lion King Rocked!
I'm glad everything worked out.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh that's just too great! Lion King + choir concert = happy, happy mommy, and lucky, lucky LG!!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God works in many different ways. I'm sure you know it was Him. He can down an air conditioning system ya know.

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

I think Lawbrat nailed it!
I can just picture God tinkering with the AC.

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

That is awesome, Susie, the way things worked out with the choral performance. Good karma, blessings, call it what you will, it's just terrific.

 
Blogger DCK said...

YUP just as I always say, things work out as they should. I know the lion king had to be an awesome experience... I'm in nyc and still haven't seen it, shameful really. Maybe soon!!

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"Good things come to she who skips." -- Old Susieism

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hee! I just heard a radio commercial about The Lion King and I thought of you and LG and Jif. :)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lawbrat -- God can down the a/c? Cool. So, what is he trying to tell me when the a/c in Mabel the Buick gives out? :)

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

This is the way things were supposed to turn out. You defied those with sticks lodged in their backsides, and came up winners on all counts.

The jury is still out about the continued existence of said backside sticks, though.

Excellent that you could treat LG to such a (so I hear) kickass spectacle as the Lion King. She will never forget that experience. Hell, I still vividly remember every crappy community theater play my parents ever took me to, and that's a lotta years and beers later.

 
Blogger Joseph said...

would it be totally inappropriate to neener,neener,neener at the person that said it was mandatory? You know, just to kind of rub it in a little? Suppose not I guess...don't want to tempt karma to go away.

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Great news. She gets to have her cake and eat it too. Perfect!

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, the blog-love that's here is really good.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home