header image

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Camp Fairchild: I Lived to Tell the Tale

I am too tired to write about what happened, but I do have some pictures. It all started when the Girl Scout mom in charge of finding us a campground for our end-of-the-school-year camping trip . . . forgot to find us that campground. Our Brownies were "bridging" up to Juniors, and they wanted to earn a camping badge as the first of the 10,000 badges that their mothers (or drycleaners) will have to sew on their new Junior vests. But that mother had to confess recently that she failed to procure a campground, and all viable ones were booked. So guess what I said?

"We can camp in my backyard." I did. I said that. I was not tortured, threatened or otherwise coerced to say such a thing. I just did.

What was I thinking?

Give or take 14 kids, mostly staying; 1 teen helper (a Godsend); 1 dog (played well with the children, pooped under the dining tarp); 7 adults coming and going, 4 staying, including Jif and me.

From approximately 10 a.m. on Friday to 10 a.m. on Saturday.

This is what I saw:



Store essential gear here until we get the tents up.



Biscuit dresses for the occasion.



Camp Fairchild, as seen through the screen from my bedroom.



Hiking in the wetland park.



Girls: Can we feed the snail some trail mix?
Ms. Susie: They're allergic to nuts.
Ms. Karen: They eat green things.

Do you see what the Junior Girl Scouts did with this information? A green M&M is green.



The long road home.



Pick a color.



Learning to make friendship bracelets.



Playing games.



Swinging.



Learning to use a knife.



Biscuit helps clean the dishes.



Mess kits hung out to dry.



Taps



My favorite part!



OK, girls, I need a picture of "the perfect s'more!"

After songs like this (sung to the tune of "God Bless America"):


God bless my underwear,
My only pair
I wore it,
And I tore it,
On the seat
of the old
rocking chair . . .

And skits like this:


Jenna: Help! Squirrels are chasing me!
Meghan: Why?!
Jenna: They think I'm nuts!


They slept. Yea, they. Not we. Not me. Then . . .



Pancakes for breakfast.

I am tired. That is all.

31 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Kranki said...

OH MY GOD! It is a wonder you can actually type. You are a very good person, Susie. VERY good.

PS-Biscuit's t-shirt rocks.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm . . . s'mores. They made it all worthwhile, didn't they?

It's been a LONG time since I've seen the "dunk bags." That brought back some memories from my own GS days.

You're a saint for playing host--I hope the forgetful mom appreciates that you saved her butt!

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Susie.

You are a brave, brave woman.

I lug you. ;)

I looks as though everyone had fun!

Now, go get some sleep. :)

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You are pluperfect kindness in all its gloriness.

Have a nice nap.

 
Blogger Dawn said...

holy jumpin jeepers. that looked liked FUN. no wonder you're tired. i wasn't a girl scout or anything so this will be a stupid question on my part, but is there really that many badges you can accrue? biscuit looks like he had a great time too, loved the shirt. i think he might need a blogging one for his biscuit friday photo op's! :)

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

That G.S. mom-in-charge should be stripped of her badges!
Great photos and pretty yard.
Now take a looooong nap... you can scrape the S'mores off the roof tomorrow.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stuff of very happy memories!

 
Blogger Mahala said...

I can smell the s'mores from here :)

 
Blogger August95 said...

Susie, that rocks. What a totally great thing you did. So does the non-camp booking mom has to come fold your laundry for the next year?

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl Scout camping event saved by Susie.
A great time was had by all adoring girls and grateful co-leader.

I worshiped my own Girl Scout Leaders,
and I know the members of this troop will remember those s'mores fondly.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word. I just clicked over to the GS website/ Insignia List
Do a copy and paste. Oh my word.

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_central/
insignia/list/

 
Blogger Ern said...

Are you SURE you weren't drugged? :) Sounds like a blast, even with the sleeplessness.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Dear sweet lord, and you lived to tell about it.

You should get a special badge for this. The What in the Name of S'Mores Was Susie Thinking badge.

To go with your hootenanny badge.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Susie, you are such a great mom. Those girls will remember this for a long time. Sounds like the VBD had a good time, too. Glad you survived!

 
Blogger Candy said...

Wow, I wish our girlscout troop leaders had been like you.

Yes I was a girlscout. All the way through grade school, until 6th grade.

You are a saint, those girls look so happy, and 14 deffinately beats my 5 hands down. Course, I had mine for 6 days, not one, hmm. And it was just me, hmm. Ill have to apply some new math to this and see how that comes out.

Naa, you still win. 14 girls plus sugar, im surprised your posting this soon. I would still be hiding in the bubble bath.

You just rock. Your so the cool mom.

 
Blogger Robin said...

Ooh, it looks like such fun! It looks way better than the Girl Scout camps I remember! Bravo to you for making it out alive!

 
Blogger eclectic said...

OMG...and you said I was the overachiever! I bow to your overachieverness!!

Coincidentally, we had 2 tents up in our backyard Thursday night -- populated by 8-year old boys, but not for camping purposes... no campfires, mess kits, dunk bags or s'mores.

Sounds like y'all had a great time, and LG and the girls really will remember it -- probably all their lives. Well done, good and faithful one!

 
Blogger Bente said...

What a trooper you are, and a great Mom for doing it all. Though, I must admit that it did all look like a bit of fun.

 
Blogger kenju said...

Good for you! Now take a well-deserved rest and come see us in a few days.

 
Blogger c said...

Wow, good for you! And you know what? I'd choose camping my own backyard over going to a campground ANY FREAKING DAY. I might actually *consider* camping in my backyard. The toilets are clean (I know because I cleaned them), the showers won't give me athlete's foot, and my lovely, lovely bed is there, should I need it.

Can you tell I'm not a camper by nature?

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it looks like fun!! And what a doll you are, Susie.

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

Oh, bless your heart, hon.

But...how awesome are YOU, for coming to the rescue of those little campers? PRETTY DARN AWESOME!

And that is a HUGE backyard!

Hope you're resting well now.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

That is awesome that you did that for them.

 
Blogger WILLIAM said...

That is awesome that you did that for them.

 
Blogger Torrie said...

Thank you for that post. It brought back so many wonderful childhood memories.

 
Blogger mary bishop said...

I'm just a kid again, doing what I did again...(lyrics from some old song...) but that's what these photos do to me...make me feel what it's like to be that young.

What a good woman to be there and to chronicle such a future, wonderful memory for all....right now you are probably just pooped.

 
Blogger dashababy said...

I think Im wore out too after all that.
Looks like good fun was had.
Those smores look scrumptous right now.

 
Blogger Effie said...

Wow--that must have been loads of fun and you definitely should get a badge for having everyone in your backyard!!

Any smores left for us?

 
Blogger Susie said...

Thank you, you kind people; blogging can be very good for a mom's ego :)

kranki, see above! I'll pass along the compliment to the VBD.

sharkey, you know what I find interesting, as you all have mentioned the forgetful mom here, I CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE IT WAS! And that makes me happy, strangely. I once forgot that I was the snack mom, so I tend not to hold a grudge! S'mores are very healing.

ck, I lug you, too. I felt a little brave ;)

hoss, that is one mighty fancy compliment, and I thank you kindly :)

blogaholic, I exaggerate a bit sometimes on this blog. For juniors, there are roughly 200 badges one could get for various endeavors and experiences. When you're the mom sewing them on, it feels like 10,000!

sierrabella, thank you, it's Monday and I'm almost back to a normal level of tiredness.

julie, I really hope so. One particular moment of seeing the smile on my girl's face made it seem like not such a bad idea after all. I'm sure you've been there :)

romani heart, you know, if you get desperate, you can do the microwave version ;)

august95, that's an interesting idea, but see my comment to Sharkey!

mrsDoF, I went to that link. YIKES!

ern, yes, in spite of tiredness, it really couldn't have gone better.

bucky, I would proudly wear those badges!

squirl, mostly I'm an insane mom. I am pretty sure that the VBD thought the entire event was all just for him. He had a BLAST! So much petting, so much playing fetch and catch. He was in VBD heaven!

JR, thank you. You still might win, because I only had 24 hours, really ;)

robin, thank you. I had more fun than if we'd actually been at a campground. The girls were only allowed inside to use the bathroom; all washing, cooking, etc., everything else, was outside. We tried to make it as authentic as possible.

eclectic, thank you, but my overachievishness comes in short, shocking bursts. Yours is, I believe, pretty consistent. I bow to your continuous impressiveness.

bente, it was fun. I saw you on SPD, you look beautiful!

kenju, hi, I'm back, sort of. I am realizing that my summertime blogging will not be quite as frequent as my winter/spring blogging :)

misfit, I hear you. Truthfully, I was relieved not to have to decide whether to volunteer as a chaperone on the "forgotten" camping trip. Like you said, my bathroom is clean.

thank you, frtl, we do enjoy the backyard here.

thanks, kalki, I haven't seen you in a while, I'll come visiting soon, see what you've been up to :)

ladybug, as I've been saying, I'm not all that awesome. We are thankful for the nice yard, it's one of the things that made us choose this house.

william, the accolades are getting embarrassing. Thank you; it was intimidating for me, being an introvert by nature, and much more of a one-or-two-kids-at-a-time kind of person, but many moms do so much more.

torrie and MB that nostalgia factor was definitely present here. I even remembered a lot of the campfire songs!

dashababy and effie, if you get really desperate, a microwave s'more can suffice until you can build a fire ;)

 
Blogger Nic said...

Susie, sweet Susie Sunshine! You are a joy and a delight! Thank you for posting about this wonderful experience. This is something that I can use for my own Em as she grows older! Bless you for your dedication to children. It is a true blessing to behold. :)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know how I missed this post. I was just at my parents, they are out of town. I'm staying there taking care of my dog. I had to leave. Both sisters were there, one has 4 kids, all with her. The other has 1. Plus my 2. The two older of the 4 kids drive me nuts. After about 4 hours, I had to leave. Got my kids in the car and said we had to run some errands. My two older nieces...ages 8 and 7, just simply dont behave. They yell, swear, scream, hit, and then they get what they want! I sat on my parents porch, and thought....What Was I Thinking? If they come over through the week, I'm so leaving.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home