header image

Friday, June 10, 2005

Biscuit Friday ~ Screen Test


Auditioning for the part of "Good Dog" who sits on the deck patiently.


He's no good dog. Look how he got to the deck. By bursting through the screen. A Very Bad Dog.


Stuff Portrait Friday

What I wish I had more of:


I wish I had more time. That's not quite right; I want to have more control and discipline over what I do with the time I have. (Plus, I like pretty clocks and fun watches, and wanted to show you some.)


What I have too much of:


Too many hostas . . .


And some are just too big.


What I have just enough of:

Truly, pretty much everything. I don't know how to take a picture of it. A picture of my brain to show the way I think, or my heart to show the way I feel. Especially in the last several years of my life, I have felt called to practice gratitude. That phrase might sound strange, but it's precisely accurate. "Called to practice gratitude." Enough is enough, and I have faith (most of the time; I'm learning) that I'll always have enough. And I'll give thanks for it. Words like these help me:

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:10

What? Yes, smartass, I know it's not time for my Sunday Post yet. Shut up.

34 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm usually a smartass, but not today. As usual, you hit the nail right on the head. We all need to remember that we have pretty much all the "stuff" we need, and then some.

The VBD pics are great. He looks like such a sweetie--they definitely know how to play that part when they need it.

I'd offer to take some hostas off your hands, but they like shade and we've got nothin' but sun in our yard. Have a great weekend!

 
Blogger SierraBella said...

Love the VBD!
I also love that pretty clock.
Oddly enough I've never worn a watch, as I always seem to know what time it is.
Great, some people have ESP, or the gift of drawing or music... I get AKWTII (Always Knows What Time It Is.)

 
Blogger August95 said...

Aww, look at the VBD, he does have a very sweet face.

Hostas are a sharing plant. You can give chunks away and know your garden is growing all over. It's one of the many reasons I love them.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Biscuit only pushed through the screen because you were there with a camera and he's trying to rehab his reputation. I mean, really....with a face like that and the name 'Biscuit' --which is Australian for cookie-- everybody's gonna call him "cute" and "sweet" etc. A manly-dog has his pride, afterall!

 
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

Ha! The screen dog gave me the giggles. It's like a redneck doggie door. (and no, I don't think you're a redneck)

The hostas were the first thing I saw when I pulled up your page. I thought, "is she blogging about a picture from Better Homes and Gardens?" Wow, you have pretty plants.

Very appropriate scripture. I'll take them any day of the week. Bible quotes, there not just for Sunday's anymore.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can never have too many hostas ... or pretty watches.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just how Bear used to make himself a doggie door. I believe his previous owners must have trained him that way.

 
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Susie...Cotton BLossom makes *ME* smell like an old lady...i'm thinking it makes you smell BOOTIE FULL!

 
Blogger Patience said...

Discovered your blog from Damon's blog (I think) and have enjoyed reading it.
Your hostas are beautiful. I agree with August95, hostas are perfect to transplant and share with someone. Mention to your friends that you're planning to split them and I bet you'll get lots of takers!

 
Blogger Robin said...

Your hostas are SO beautiful! I miss mine, they are in my old shady yard at my old small house. Now I have a big sunny yard with a big house. My veggies come out much better here! :-)

P.S. VBD looks like he knows exactly what he's doing...

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That doesn't look like too many hostas yet.
Biscuit could maybe have me accept a dog. My two old cats would just have to learn to share my affectionate pats.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, Biscuit makes me laugh.

And your hostas are lovely. Especially the white-edged ones. (I save the technical terms for greenie...)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful, Susie!

Punkin asked me this morning if I wish I was rich so that we could afford a new car for me TODAY. "Wouldn't it be great to be able to afford everything we need?"

I told her I already really had everything I ever needed. The car still gets us where we need to go. We don't NEED another one right now.

Ok ok ok... we might need a new screen for our deck. Ours is pulling away from the frame, too. Hubby thinks we should wait because the kids might break it again. I think we should get it fixed before mosquito season. :)

You know, if you move, you can leave the hostas there... that's what I did. :)

Oh, and that clock -- LOVELY! I've wanted one just like that for years now, but it really wouldn't "work" in any of my rooms... oh, except maybe the laundry room... that's not decorated yet... ;)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dat dogs a cutie! lol.. and i like ya hostas also!..

have a wonderful day ya'll

 
Blogger c said...

I *almost* did time, and I have WAY too many hostas, too!

 
Blogger Torrie said...

I love me some hostas.

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Be nice to MY dog. And we will be nice to you, and let you fix the screen.

 
Blogger Weetzie said...

Biscuit is so cute and the way he got out on the porch...my dogs figured out how to open the gate from the back yard...uh oh...bad dogs!
Thanks for the comment on my page today. I like your SPD things too....lots to think about...so little time, we must appreciate so much!

 
Blogger Susie said...

sharkey, you have a great weekend, too. Enjoy being a daughter. :)

sierrabella, If I didn't wear a watch, I'd let clients go on for HOURS. As it is, I have a hard enough time keeping to a schedule at work.

august95, I do have quite enough to share; I need to find out the best time to do that; hope it hasn't already passed for this season.

eclectic, it's philanthropic of you to come to the defense of the animal, but he's not manly. He's 1)gay; and 2)transvestite. He never smiles bigger than when dressed in a pink floral sweatshirt.

robyn, I take humbrage at that remark. We do not have a redneck doggy door. We have a HILLBILLY doggy door.

julie, watches, I'll agree. But the hostas have swallowed cats and small children.

sub, let's not get personal. Bear had no doggy door at our house.

Kristine, I know, you weren't being mean. I'm sorry for saying mean things about you. I have felt quite elderly since last Wednesday.

emmy, welcome, and thank you, I think I'll take that advice :)

robin, yes, he does, and that's what makes him so bad. Most of my yard is shade. That's not ALL bad, but there are some sunny flowers that I would like to have.

gas-o-leana, welcome. Um...I'll try to stop over.

mrsdof, just let me know if you want him :)

kalki, Biscuit is sort of like a caricature of a dog. I've had REAL dogs, and he's not really one of them. I like the green and white best, too.

CK, you give me an idea for another post, about being rich. I know something about that, as do you :)

summer, indeed, they are of biblical proportions.

melissa, welcome, and you have a lovely day, as well :)

misfit, it's the "great minds" thing again ;)

torrie, I'd love to give you some.

hoss, when are you going to come and get this bad dog? Or send him a ticket?

weetzie, you're most welcome. Bad dogs do make like more interesting :)

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Susie...you'd like to give Torrie some?

Boy, them boobie pictures were a slippery slope, weren't they?

Heh. That sounded even worse than I meant it.

 
Blogger Susie said...

my darling bucky, I didn't know if you, or Torrie, or Nilbo would take that one, but I do love to provide you gutter-minds with the set-up when I can. And I am disappointed when you don't grab it. However, there is no slippery here. As I told Jess, I'm leaving the lotion to the professionals :)

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Those Hosta's are DEVINE!!! Don't go digging them now...wait till they go dormant. Also, there is no such thing as too big...when discussing Hosta's that is.

Biscuit...screen action. Yikes!You're on your own buddy.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VBB,BOSC-Very Bad Biscuit,But Oh So Cute.
Home Depot sells "animal strength" screening for doors, wonderful stuff.Unfortunately,I know this from experience!

 
Blogger Kranki said...

Biscuit! So shhhhoft and shhhilky! But a little bad...

Those are some hostas. I am in awe.

 
Blogger Squirl said...

Beautiful hostas. Lovely quote. But I guess now is when I have to admit that Biscuit is, indeed, a very bad dog. You have photgraphic proof so I can no longer deny it. I'm glad to know that he's gay and a transvestite. That gives him more character than just being cute.

 
Blogger Bente said...

Abby has done the same thing to our screen door and the screen on the window in the laudry, cheeky little cat!

 
Blogger mary bishop said...

Biscuit has my heart...hostas? I'm not sure I like them...they get that spikey thing that sticks up...not that I'm against things that stick up...but the ones I've had don't look lush and lovely like yours...(hostas that is)

 
Blogger kenju said...

That's a beautiful clock. And you are very good to realize we need to practice having gratitude for all we have been given. I was thinking about that today, as I stood designing wedding flowers, surrounded by the most fragrant peonies, garden roses, tulips, etc. How fortunate I am to be able to surround myself with live flowers! I am truly grateful.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

That is the cutest Biscuit pic yet (followed by the "baddest Biscuit" pic yet ;) )

And Philippians generally rocks, IMO.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a hosta lover too. I keep splitting my favorite one's so I get more.

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

hostas are seemingly innocent lush green coverag foilage - their really hostile plants, eager to take over your yard!

 
Blogger Susie said...

greenie, OK, I'll put you down for "bigger is better"...

blogaholic, thanks for the 4-1-1; we will fix the screen this weekend.

hey, kranki, yes, he's pettable but bad.

squirl, I think so, too. Cute only gets you so far, then you need something a little controversial.

bente, I'm trying to look at it as a visual problem, i.e., that he doesn't really SEE the screen, rather than as a wanton disregard for private property problem.

MB, those gangly flowering things do seem a little extraneous, when they occur. I like the big and lush, though.

kenju, your line of work is one that I believe I could really enjoy -- I mean, if I had any actual talent for it, which I don't. But to be so surrounded by beauty would be nice.

andrea, thanks. I love it, too; and most of those shorter letters, actually. Before I corrected myself here, it said, "I live it," which, while I wish were true, is not, entirely.

mrtl, there is not double Susie conspiracy. If you knew how grossed out I am by your fishtalk, I have to believe you would refrain.

canadian dude, welcome. I shall do the same, this year. It's about time.

annejelynne, then we'll call them "hostiles."

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

No time for much commenting today, Susie, but I had to stop by and tell you...

I was in my in-laws' backyard this weekend and spied a pretty new plant. I asked my m-i-l "Hey! What's that one?" (I never know what plants are; I always have to ask.) She said it was a hosta, and that made me think of you, because of this post. Just thought I'd let you know you were on my mind this weekend. :o)

 
Blogger Susie said...

ladybug, thanks for thinking of me, that makes me smile. Hope her hosta doesn't turn hostile!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home