header image

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Wedding Singer

I have a theory, or maybe a superstition:

If a bride or groom sings to her or his honey during the wedding ceremony, that marriage is ill-fated.

It seems to me that if you're marrying the right person, you should not feel that poised, you should have many more butterflies than that, on your wedding day. If you're chillaxed enough to be the entertainment at your own nuptials, you're tooooo chillaxed and the one you're marrying doesn't scramble your brain cells (among other things) quite enough.

I told someone this yesterday and she (a very happily married woman) said, "My husband sang to me at our 25th anniversary party." I told her that's different; he'd had enough time to calm down by then.

Do you know of a singing bride or groom who've stayed married?

I have three anecdotes to support my theory, and none to discredit it. I recently met a lovely bride whose groom serenaded her as she walked down the aisle. And I hope and pray that they shoot my theory all to hell.

16 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You make a pretty good point. I guess I'll never sing when I get married.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! I have one to discredit the theory! Jesse sang "Forever" to Rebecca during their wedding, and they stayed together. (I know tv shows don't count, especially Full House, where all the endings are happy. But I couldn't resist an excuse to bring up John Stamos.) Just ignore me and carry on... :)

 
Blogger chirky said...

hi susie! i do know a bride who sang to her groom once she got down the aisle. it was really sweet. she was SUPER nervous, and you could DEFINITELY tell, but she made it through it and it sounded pretty good, actually. they married back in 2001, and are still going strong. :)

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I was waaaaay to full of nerves to sing at my own wedding. My hands were shakin'
like they did when I gave up cigarettes. The whole wedding party did crack up, though, when I couldn't get the ring onto Jim's finger all the way.

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Er, or maybe "too" full.

 
Blogger JaG said...

My parents have been married for over 25 years. I'll check on any singing going on during their wedding.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother sang to his wife on his wedding. They are still married although its only been 3 years.

Also he has had a lot of practise singing in a band at bars so he probably knew how to get over the nerves.

 
Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

That, Susie, is a very interesting observation. Never crossed my mind to sing at my own wedding anyways.

dc

 
Blogger cakeboom said...

Hi Susie! Thanks for the visit, and I checked the comment page. DAMN those trolls...
I haven't been making scrapbooks. either, so I hope I don't have 2 future trolls...

I like the theory. We did not sing to each other. I hope we make it; we've had three kids in 5 years. We were all legit, too.

Now I want to watch the Wedding Story and superimpose my "perfectionist, control-freak bride" theory on your "SINGERS BE DOOMED" theory.

Very nice blog you have here, girl!

 
Blogger cakeboom said...

ps, 3 future trolls. i have 3 children. Hmm, where is the third one, anyway? I better run!

 
Blogger cakeboom said...

ps, 3 future trolls. i have 3 children. Hmm, where is the third one, anyway? I better run!

 
Blogger Annejelynn said...

man, yer doin' good Susie! I love youre posts! I do! I do! Jumping up and down with major permagrin

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Seems you're starting to get around...you're totally link worthy and should be linked to everyone soon.

(mental note: no singing when Washington legalizes GAY marriage. Did someone mention that hell was freezing over soon?)

 
Blogger LadyBug said...

Okay, I have a possible exception, or maybe more of an alternative to the whole sing-at-your-wedding thing.

I have a friend with one of the most beautiful singing voices I've heard. If anyone else had sung at her wedding, everyone would've wondered why.

BUT....my friend PRE-RECORDED the song at a studio, complete with a spoken message at the beginning, and played the recording at the wedding. I believe she and her hubby both sobbed during the playback. That was....at least five or six years ago, I believe. They're an awesome couple.

 
Blogger Susie said...

kalki, kalki, kalki. TV weddings do NOT count.

jes and burdanilex, it may make a difference if they're VERY nervous, because that does show the presence of butterflies, or if they're professionals . . .

dang, "at my wedding," are there any such plans?

mamaramma, I agree, totally tasteless. It might be OK, though, to sing at the reception (an appropriate song), just not during the ceremony

bucky, see, and you and Jim seem to be in good shape; I'm surprised HE wasn't the one with the shakes

colleen, you non-singin' bride, with 3 kids in 5 years, it would appear that ya'll are "close." Even without hearing a full description, I think your theory will prove true -- Bridezillas don't make good partners. Thanks for saying nice things. I hope you found troll-in-training #3.

annejellyn, you are a sweetheart, and I'd like for you to be my little sister.

greenie, yes, it has been said that I get around. I can't wait to try the recipe:)

ladybug, see, that would work. And if they were both crying, then their brains were sufficiently scrambled:)

Ya'll come back now, ya heah?

 
Blogger Nilbo said...

I think this is an eminently sensible theory, and I have no conflicting anecdotes, either TV or otherwise. Hell, at my wedding, I was so freaked I could barely say the vows. And I talk for a living!

 


Post a Comment

<< Home