header image

Friday, March 25, 2005

Want Some? You Know You Do...


...make your own...

Coconut Nests

1 1/2 cups melted chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk
2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
50-60 mini jelly beans

Makes 15 to 18 nests

Mix melted chocolate and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper. Make an indentation in center of each nest with a spoon (OK, that's so not true; you can drop with the spoon, but you really have to shape with your fingers, and make an indentation with your thumb). Press 2 or 3 jelly beans into each. Chill till set. (If you want more than 1 batch, make them separately, because the chocolate can begin to harden while you're making all those nests.)

Put them in pretty Easter containers and give some of them away. Don't eat them all, that's not good for you.




Now, go and check out this Hot Hip-Hop Bunny action and then come back and I'll tell you why I like it so much. Go on. And click "back" to come back. (WAIT!!!! If you're at work, turn down the volume first. OK, now go.)

OK. First, I like it because it makes me smile and bounce. Second, did you see the Easter B's shoes? I have those same pink Chuck Taylors. Just like the green Chucks I had in 8th grade. Yes, I'm 40something. Yes, I wear them. You wanna make something of it? This happened last summer:

Ms. Snooty Snarklebutt (not her real name): Oh, look at your shoes. You must be really confident, to wear shoes like that.

Susie (big-smiling): Well, yes, Snarklebutt, I guess I am.

But that wasn't entirely true. Sometimes I'm really confident, but sometimes I'm not a bit. So even though it wasn't technically honest, I still thought it was a better response than the first one that came to mind, which was to push her down the stairs and say, "WTF is that supposed to mean?" So even though I sort of lied, I still sort of think it was the right thing to do, because we were at a children's function. At church.

17 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Joseph said...

loved the bunny clip...and ya, you have to smile and bounce to that one.

Nice save at the children's function.

 
Blogger Torrie said...

I am drooling.

 
Blogger Closet Metro said...

That bunny is awesome. I'm gonna have Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 in my head all day now. (and I like it!)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've known a few Snarklebutts in my lifetime. Isn't it nice you never have to say you're sorry to true friends. We love you warts and all. I tried to get my schizophrenic son to wear shoes on different occassions other than black Chucks. There is something not quite right with a kilt and Chuck Taylors. Merry Easter.

 
Blogger Susie said...

mama, I knew you'd have my back. Here, have a nest...

greenie, yea, I try not to open a can of whup-ass at Vacation Bible School if I can avoid it...

torrie, here, baby, wipe your chin. You can make you some; they're very, very easy.

closet metro, glad you enjoyed the Easter B; you can share it with Dizzle, too. That's what I liked so much about it, unlike many such things people e-mail me, it is kid-friendly.

SUB, warts? I must refer you to mamaramma's comment regarding fashion critiquing of others, unless you are a gay dude on Bravo who hangs out with your four buddies. A kilt and black Chucks sounds very chic to moi.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I thought they looked a little turdish at first. I should have my glasses on.

I bought my daughter and I matching pink shoes just like those. At Payless. And we wear them out together. In public.

Does that make me "confident," too?

 
Blogger Susie said...

mrtl, yea, I would totally put a pic of an Easter basket full of turds on my blog. L, not OL, but L. You and Bug are beyond "confident," with yo' badass kicks.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Slururumurppp (that's the sound of me drooling). Those remind me of some no-bake cookies I used to make.

And I used to have me a few pairs of Chuck Taylors. Black ones, white ones, and yellow ones. If I could find them around here in Indiana-no-place, I'd get another pair. I'm not 40-something, but not too many years removed!

 
Blogger Susie said...

welcome, andrea! No-bake is good. I like the ones with oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate, etc. Chucks are forever (sniff). Be confident; wear Chucks.

 
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Yum yum yum. Looks dee-lish.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That clip was too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

lawbrat

 
Blogger Joseph said...

How many times can you listen to this HIP HOP Bunny?

TONS!!!! Awwww yaaa!

 
Blogger Susie said...

portuguesa nova, welcome. I visited your site, so I know you know a little something about "dee-lish!"

lawbrat, good to see you. You are always welcome to any laughs that Gumby and I have here:)

greenie, you can't get too much of a good thing. My pink cadillac is always open to you. (Wait, what does that mean? I'm talkin' 'bout the car the bunnies were ridin' 'round the world in, you know'm I'm sayin'...)

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Durn those look good. Wish I had some jellybeans. Ohhhh, Easter bunnnyyyyy....

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you please send me a chocolate nest right now over the internet? I see you have many and could part with one and not miss it too badly.

I did not make these nests but remember green ones as a child. How sweet. I am jealous. I did eggs and will be making a bunny cake (if I have time) out of 2 9" rounds. CUUUUTE!

Happy Easter...Now get in bed! The bunny is coming!

 
Blogger Ern said...

I think you should wear whatever shoes you want. Have you ever read that poem, something about "when I am and old woman I will wear purple, and learn how to spit, and put a flower in my hat that doesn't go" or something like that? My mom has been preparing for the wearing purple part for years now.

 
Blogger Susie said...

hey, stringmuse, welcome back! Hope the bunny brought you some good stuff;)

part-timer, hi, thanks for visiting. Yea, the nests are a big hit at school parties and stuff, very easy and yummy:)

hi, laurenbove! I tried to send you one, but it got stuck in my E-drive; I'm such a techno-dunce! Hope you had time to make your bunny cake -- I'll bet I can picture it, with the ears and the bowtie -- we usually make that one, but this year we did the nests and chickie cupcakes. Oh, the sugar of it all:)

ern, I know the poem you mean, I shall wear purple with a red hat. I think 50 is the "legal" age for such shenanigans; I've got a ways to go yet, but I'm in training with my pink Chucks;)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home