10 Things About Me
I've read lots of bloggers' "100 Things About Me" lists. I'm a really introspective person, but I just don't have 100 things. At least not all at once. So I'm going to take it slow...here are the first 10, in no particular order:
1. I've been married once. Sometimes, just to be ornery, I describe Jif as "my first husband." (Cue Barry White: my first, my last, my everything...)
2. My "formative" (i.e., "school") years were spent in thoroughly integrated elementary and middle schools in Delaware, and in a white-as-Easter-shoes high school in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. This juxtaposition of cultures gave me whiplash.
3. Jif and I waited 13 years for LG. That was not by our choice.
4. The name of my blog has been, as it says, motto, mantra, future epitaph -- and also my nickname, for years. It comes from what I say, in a tired-laughing-whiney voice to Jif, as I head-butt him in the chest after I have agreed/offered, once again, to do one-too-many things. I believe the weekend that the nickname was coined (and LG made the accompanying bracelet for me) was when I had just had a large book-swap party for LG, followed the next day by leaving on a beach vacation, but preceded immediately by directing and teaching a week of Vacation Bible School, which was preceded immediately by a large adult cook-out. Plus work, etc., etc. The country song of the same name came long after I had the nickname. I would sue that curly-haired singer for stealing my name; but he's cute -- the curly hair and all.
personalized jewelry designed by LG
5. Oh, speaking of cute: People Magazine always gets it wrong with that "Sexiest Man Alive" thing. The correct answer is Aaron Neville.
6. I have attended the National Storytelling Festival about 20 times. And I hope to attend more.
7. I am an ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). At least until they read this blog.
8. My very favorite food is steamed crabs.
9. I am not a big boxing fan. I am an animal lover. But for some reason, the one thing that ALWAYS makes me laugh, even when I've got the blues, is a boxing kangaroo. I got one for Christmas:
In this corner, in the polka-dot ribbon, MATILDA!
10. See #2, above. I like to think I can hold my own with grammar, syntax, vocabulary, pronunciation an' whatnot. I have a bachelor's degree in communication. But when I am relaxed, with those who know me best, my "casual" language is a cross between ghetto and downhome Southern. Think Snoop Dogg meets Dr. Phil. Yea, it's that heinous. (And yes, I have Shizzolated my blog.)