header image

Monday, March 28, 2005

10 Things About Me

I've read lots of bloggers' "100 Things About Me" lists. I'm a really introspective person, but I just don't have 100 things. At least not all at once. So I'm going to take it slow...here are the first 10, in no particular order:

1. I've been married once. Sometimes, just to be ornery, I describe Jif as "my first husband." (Cue Barry White: my first, my last, my everything...)

2. My "formative" (i.e., "school") years were spent in thoroughly integrated elementary and middle schools in Delaware, and in a white-as-Easter-shoes high school in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. This juxtaposition of cultures gave me whiplash.

3. Jif and I waited 13 years for LG. That was not by our choice.

4. The name of my blog has been, as it says, motto, mantra, future epitaph -- and also my nickname, for years. It comes from what I say, in a tired-laughing-whiney voice to Jif, as I head-butt him in the chest after I have agreed/offered, once again, to do one-too-many things. I believe the weekend that the nickname was coined (and LG made the accompanying bracelet for me) was when I had just had a large book-swap party for LG, followed the next day by leaving on a beach vacation, but preceded immediately by directing and teaching a week of Vacation Bible School, which was preceded immediately by a large adult cook-out. Plus work, etc., etc. The country song of the same name came long after I had the nickname. I would sue that curly-haired singer for stealing my name; but he's cute -- the curly hair and all.


personalized jewelry designed by LG

5. Oh, speaking of cute: People Magazine always gets it wrong with that "Sexiest Man Alive" thing. The correct answer is Aaron Neville.

6. I have attended the National Storytelling Festival about 20 times. And I hope to attend more.

7. I am an ordained elder in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). At least until they read this blog.

8. My very favorite food is steamed crabs.

9. I am not a big boxing fan. I am an animal lover. But for some reason, the one thing that ALWAYS makes me laugh, even when I've got the blues, is a boxing kangaroo. I got one for Christmas:


In this corner, in the polka-dot ribbon, MATILDA!

10. See #2, above. I like to think I can hold my own with grammar, syntax, vocabulary, pronunciation an' whatnot. I have a bachelor's degree in communication. But when I am relaxed, with those who know me best, my "casual" language is a cross between ghetto and downhome Southern. Think Snoop Dogg meets Dr. Phil. Yea, it's that heinous. (And yes, I have Shizzolated my blog.)

17 heads are better than one . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mornin' Pillow Biter! Aaron Neville? Really? To each her own. I am, however, TOTALLY with you on the crabs. I grew up in Maryland, and have suffered immensely here in Texas. My mother brought crab meat with her last time they flew down, so I have a secret stash of crabcakes in my freezer. mmmmm... Alaska will be better.

 
Blogger Susie said...

yes, inmate mrtl,it's been Aaron Neville for some 20 years. The biceps and the falsetto; I don't know what that says about me. Don't laugh, but the crabcakes from QVC (Chesapeake Gourmet or some such) are quite respectable; I've had them sent to my mom in N.C. Alaska, yea, crabs, but not the Old Bay, you know...

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no you didn't - Chesapeake Gourmet is on QVC? I thought I could avoid QVC, but Chesapeake Gourmet is one of my favorite stores. I may have to check that out.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick question, is Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) the same as Presbyterian Church of America? Just curious...

 
Blogger Susie said...

Hi, doreen, welcome. No, they're different. From what I understand there are at least 7 different "branches" of Presbyterianism in the U.S. The 2 mentioned in your comment are the largest. The PC (USA) is generally considered more liberal than the PCA. One of the most notable differences, for my personal belief system, is that the PC USA will ordain women clergy, while the PCA will not.

 
Blogger Joseph said...

Aaron Neville? Really? You are a real character Suze...from this to Snoop Dogg Shizzolation. LOL!!!

 
Blogger Susie said...

thank you, darling greenie. I have always aspired to be a character. There are just too many interesting personality options available; why stick with just one, I always say:)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Susie, darling! See! I *knew* there was a very good reason I liked you, even before the 10 things post.

Hubby and I often refer to each other as our "first husband/wife".

Re: #4 -- I think we were separated at birth or something. I get like that where I have 95 million things going and I wonder what the heck I'm trying to prove and to whom.

Oooo. Steamed crabs. YUMMY!

Re: #10 -- I'd *love* to hear your "casual" accent! :)

I can't wait to read the other 90 things about you! :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

ck, it could take YEARS for 90 more things about me...or it could take just 9 occasions of not being sure what to write about!

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie,
"Cue Barry White: my first, my last, my everything..." that is so wonderful! I give you and Jim my best. May you have a happy, loving marriage that continues to infinity.
LG is a long deserved blessing. I sometimes get angry when I see people who can just 'pop out babies' and they dont want them, or dont take care of them, treat them with cruelty, and there are SO MANY couples out there that long for a child, and many never are able to have one. You are blessed!
I dont know why...it seems to affect the female population... ADD MORE,ADD MORE, THEN SOME MORE. Maybe its that we have a hard time saying 'no'. We want to make everyone happy, not disapoint, and our nuturing sides takes over.

Lawbrat

 
Blogger Susie said...

hey, lawbrat, thanks for your kind wishes. You're right, I am soooo blessed, and I know it. Every day is Thanksgiving. (You know what I mean! Not that we pig out every day...)

 
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Wow, Susie, you're an ordained elder in your church? We have something else in common! I'm an ordained minister!
Bless you, my child.

Oh, okay, so I got ordained off a web site, and I have no credentials. So? So?

 
Blogger Susie said...

Bless you right back, Bucky. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know which website ordained you, dear. But you're still legit in my book. (2legit2quit)

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Susie, I've been waiting over a day to post this (curse Blogger comments!!!) Anyway, just to say...

Presbyterian, eh? Well THAT explains a lot! **ducking and running**

 
Blogger Susie said...

andrea, you don't have to duck and run, 'cause I don't know enough about people's perceptions of Presbys to even know what I might be being accused of! There are so many different branches of the Pres. tree. "Generic Christian" is the best description for me, or as another blogger says, "Christian mutt." Woof.

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Generic Christian mutts are the best. They're all about the basics, no more, no less. And keeping the dog thing going, they can interbreed with few problems :)

 
Blogger Susie said...

I think that's true, andrea, about the interbreeding (and we say that word very carefully around here, me being a hillbilly and all, so as not to have it mistaken for that other word that begins with "in" and ends with "breeding"). And I am still, every daggum day, working on those basics. I figure when I get those two BIG commandments down, then I'll move on to those other, finer points that so many folks seem to fight so much about;)

 


Post a Comment

<< Home