header image

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Gingerbread house

Sunday Post ~

"Nine requisites for contented living:
Health enough to make work a pleasure.
Wealth enough to support your needs.
Strength to battle with difficulties and overcome them.
Grace enough to confess your sins and forsake them.
Patience enough to toil until some good is accomplished.
Charity enough to see some good in your neighbor.
Love enough to move you to be useful and helpful to others.
Faith enough to make real the things of God.
Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future." -- Johann von Goethe


Philippians 4:4-9

file under: &Sunday Post

18 heads are better than one . . .

Blogger Squirl said...

Those are wonderful words. Sometimes we try too hard to attain more and more when just-enough should do.

Thanks, Susie.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That was a great post. But I have to confess that sometimes it's rather difficult to see some good in one of my neighbors but I will try harder.

That is a very sweet little tableau, too! How very Hansel and Gretel of you. :)

 
Blogger Ern said...

That's beautiful.

Also, in regards to your last post (since I didn't come by to see you when it was current) I have no song lyrics, but I should tell you that those whose significant other is a Eurologist are actually blessed with a special kind of blessing--the kind of blessing that induces regular bouts of rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-hysteria over the stories they tell. And no, I'm sure your story will not be one of those stories. Wishing you well.

 
Blogger August95 said...

Good Morning Susie. That is a good lesson for this morning. Not to worry about things was can control and to find peace in what we have. Thanks.

 
Blogger eclectic said...

Very nice, Pastor Susie! (Which, oddly, in my head sounds like "Pasta Susie.") Wishing you enough of everything you need to not worry.

 
Blogger Judypatooote said...

How Yummy, I have a confession to make....I licked the screen of my computer, but I got no taste..... but it looks darn good......and bright and cheery.....

p.s. I didn't really lick my screen....

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read from 4:1, and 2 hit me hard. Agree with each other in the Lord. I dont know if i'm interpreting it correctly, but to me it says: we're all different, have differnt opinions, do different things, but if we're all in agreement with our Lord, there is NO difference. I could be wrong, but thats my take.

Do not be anxious... So true, yet sometimes so hard. Thanks for the reminder.

 
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future.

I love Sunday's at Susies.
I always get warm fuzzies when she remembers to mention "hope"

*hug*

 
Blogger Dawn said...

OH, thats so cool. Looks yummy. Happy belated birthday :)

 
Blogger Andrea said...

Good one...and I hope you were thinking of your own worries as you wrote it ;)

Sigh...you know all my favorite verses!

 
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

If I don't have any sins to confess, do I get a do-over?

(Yeah, the guy is right about all that.)

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I’m down to 4 of the 9. I have possessed all 9 at times. Maybe this is just a transient situational disorder that I am experiencing. The problem is, I can’t pinpoint the disorder.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susie, Your procedure will be completely painless, I've had it done and its totally fine, a bit like having your blood pressure checked. The best bit is that the camera can sometime clear the bacteria causing the problems (think of a chimney stick!!) I'm sure you have already been told to always 'power your nose' straight after 'wiggley eyebrows' If you need more info just ask.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hugs to you Susie Q.

 
Blogger Nina said...

Well I missed Sunday, but thankfully, it is still here on Monday.
Thanks Susie, these are truly wonderful words.

 
Blogger Susie said...

squirl, yea, as always, I'm preaching mostly to myself :)

momo, thanks, and yes! LG made the house; I think it's adorable :)

jim, I hear ya, keep working on it with that neighbor. This "tableau" is the remaining Christmas decorations, happened to be still sitting on the dining room table. But tableau sounds so much nicer, I like that :)

ern, thanks. I know you docs are always laughing at us sickies. Actually, when I was undergoing infertility treatments, I'd do outrageous things to try to give them stories to tell. I'll have to blog some, sometime.

august, yep, that 'bout sums it up :)

eclectic, I like that wish. Pasta Susie. What's the recipe?

judyp, you make me laugh; NO LICKING!

lawbrat, I'm so glad to hear when someone reads, as you know. I'll be emailing you soon; in addition to the other troubles, I have Jif's respiratory thing, so I'm a bit droopy and suffering from snot-head (attractive, I know) today.

princesskristine, thanks for the hug; you're always welcome to whatever warm and fuzzies we have here :)

blogaholic, thank you!

andrea, yep, I was. My favorite verses are contained here, too, at least some of them. And funny, I don't usually think of them as being connected -- "be anxious for nothing," and "whatsoever things are lovely," but they are.

hoss, who you kiddin'? I can come to your place ANY day of the week and find you something to confess! ;)

ssnick, I know you're going through something. I pray you emerge on the other side of it soon.

katietoyboy, I must admit, that took me a minute, but I think I gotcha. Trouble is, this isn't an infection; at least not so far as any tests to date can tell. Seems to be something a little more exotic. We'll see. Thanks for the info and advice. :)

ck, thanks, love. Hugs always welcome here.

hi, nina, almost missed you there. Glad you like 'em. :)

 
Blogger mreddie said...

A family I read about always parted with the words - "I wish you enough." And what they meant is about the same as you wrote. ec

 
Blogger Susie said...

mreddie, it is troubling to me, how it seems that few people in our culture understand the concept of "enough." I like your friends' parting words.

 


Post a Comment

<< Home